AuthorTopic: Will these fit?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline sooki_blu

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Will these fit?
« on: July 26, 2007, 19:43:20 »
Ive been offered a set of tyres (31.10/50/R15) will these fit on my xj as standard?
thanks
92 Shogun 3.0v6 Lwb

Offline isle of man

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 20:25:07 »
yes..........but you may need to put a washer behind the steering stop.

peter henry
SEE THE "MANX MAFIA" THE "TGB" AND ALSO "STRIKE ONE" THE BUGGY
http://www.j33p.org/_club/rides_view.cfm?ride_id=24

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 21:48:57 »
I not sure that they would fit without a lift kit? I have the same size tyres, with a 3.5 inch lift kit on my XJ. I think the largest that you can fit as standard are 30 inch tyres (I had these on before the lift kit was fitted).

Hope this helps  :-k  :-k  :-k  :-k
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

Offline greenshed

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 22:02:13 »
No they wont.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 22:09:23 »
You'll need a lift 235 x 75 R15's are the biggest non lift...
Jeep drivers don't eat quiche

Offline sooki_blu

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 23:08:20 »
thanks for the replies...
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this, but im new to all this...
what is the quickest/cheapest way to get a small lift?
Ive heard plenty of talk about these budget lifts... anyone care to enlighten me?
92 Shogun 3.0v6 Lwb

Offline Mort

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:37 »
Quote from: "isle of man"
yes..........but you may need to put a washer behind the steering stop.
peter henry
:(biglaugh): Very droll! 8)  

Not wishing to repeat myself re the tyre size - http://forums.mud-club.com/viewtopic.php?t=46371 :roll:
It's life Jim, but not as we know it!

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 13:07:45 »
To fit 31s and use them properly, you're gonna a need 3" lift. If it's gonna be a Chelsea tractor, then you might get away with a budget boost - if you can get one that big.

A budget boost is installing spacers or 'pucks' on top of the front coil springs. At the rear you installs blocks and longer u-bolts between the leaf spring and the axle OR replace the shackles at the rear of the leaf springs with longer ones.
Don't expect great things of it offroad, but it will make the car higher. It's ok for greenlaning where you won't get that much articulation due to having the front sway bar connected.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 22:22:51 »
Quote from: "tim_aka_tim"
To fit 31s and use them properly, you're gonna a need 3" lift. If it's gonna be a Chelsea tractor, then you might get away with a budget boost - if you can get one that big.

A budget boost is installing spacers or 'pucks' on top of the front coil springs. At the rear you installs blocks and longer u-bolts between the leaf spring and the axle OR replace the shackles at the rear of the leaf springs with longer ones.
Don't expect great things of it offroad, but it will make the car higher. It's ok for greenlaning where you won't get that much articulation due to having the front sway bar connected.

aaah a green laning expert speaks..... :lol:

Offline drutt

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 13:29:13 »
Quote from: "Bishops Finger"

I really hope that comment was meant as a joke and not as a personal jibe...

Having had a quick read of this thread I don't see any need for anyone to start casting aspersions on anothers abilities or expertise,  indeed I would suggest that the wording "don't expect great things of it ... <etc>" imply that there is some level of experience beyond green laning, which, as has been rightly pointed out should require practically no modifications other than carrying a first aid kit..

skip

Will these fit?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 19:14:04 »
When I had my jeep I ran 235/75/15s then put a 2" add a leaf kit on.

I still got everywhere I wanted to go I just needed a little more commitment :lol:

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 21:59:45 »
Quote from: "drutt"
Quote from: "Bishops Finger"

I really hope that comment was meant as a joke and not as a personal jibe...

Having had a quick read of this thread I don't see any need for anyone to start casting aspersions on anothers abilities or expertise,  indeed I would suggest that the wording "don't expect great things of it ... <etc>" imply that there is some level of experience beyond green laning, which, as has been rightly pointed out should require practically no modifications other than carrying a first aid kit..

Take it how you want Datalass......Have cut laning down from 2-3 times a week to maybe 1-2 times a week .reckon some views on disconnects can be considered as abit of experience to those who rarely do go laning.... :roll:  :wink:  :wink:  8)

Offline drutt

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:52:55 »
If you look carefully nobody was questioning anyone's experience,  there was merely the polite request that the same level of respect was shown to all.

I personally don't own a Jeep so don't really know how the suspension works on them,  that is to say the foibles and quirks which are unique to the suspension geometry on the Jeep my personal experience having come from land rover origins,  

However the basic principles remain true for both types of vehicle,  Articulation and indeed ground clearance only serve people up to a particular point and, in my opinion neither should be deemed necessary on a green lane, if only because of the politicised climate of FUD that we currently find ourselves in on them.   If a lane requires a tank to drive down it, you should probably refrain from doing so.

As for experience, I don't see that there was anything wrong with the advise offered,  I am a little sceptical of what is determined to be a "budget boost" but it would probably work, and considering that the original advise came with a warning that it's if truth be known a bit pants I think we can take it as read that the poster probably understood the limitations of them as well as we do.

I have no idea how well they tend to work on a Jeep, on a Discovery for example you can generally pop a spring on your average mini roundabout if you try hard enough so they're hardly recommended, but different vehicles have different geometry's, and I'm willing to believe that the Jeep probably has anti roll bars, which again alter things...

Anyhow, the reason we got involved is because we received a direct complaint that advise was being ridiculed and generally treated in a condescending matter, and I for one am sick to death of people not being able to get along.  

I consider the matter closed,  now please go back to telling the poor poor soul who asked in the first place whether his tires will fit without having to remove the wings :roll:

Offline Mort

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 11:21:55 »
Quote from: "drutt"
I consider the matter closed,  now please go back to telling the poor poor soul who asked in the first place whether his tires will fit without having to remove the wings :roll:

No, they won't! :roll:
It's life Jim, but not as we know it!

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 11:22:52 »
Thank you :)
--

Offline sooki_blu

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 16:52:46 »
erm thanks...
I think...
92 Shogun 3.0v6 Lwb

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 22:01:01 »
Okay, reverting to some sense of normality... no, 31/10.5/15s wont fit a standard XJ - they foul all over the place. I had one and speak from experience.

You can just about get away with 235/75/15s if you adjust the steering lock stops, but they'll still foul on full articulation. Not ideal if you want to use it off road to anywhere near its potential.

If you wan to run 31s you will need to run at least a 3" lift, if not a 3.5". Note that your gearing will be out of whack (I lived with this, some don't) and you may need a SYE to avoid nasty vibes through your transmission.

Sensibly, then... decide what you want it to do and what size tyres you want to run. All other decisions really stem from there on an XJ.

Does that help?!? :roll:
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

Offline tim_aka_tim

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 23:14:40 »
Perhaps this scale which was used on another forum for the Wangler would help you decide. It's of tyre size vs. cash you need to spend to put those tyres on an XJ

235s £
        (just the tyres)

30"   ££££
        (budget boost, possibly new, longer shocks)

31"   £££££££££££££££
        (Full lift kit with new springs and shocks and possibly an SYE
         - depends on your Jeep - they're all different)

33"   £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
        (Big lift with new springs and shocks, re-geared diffs, stronger axle
        shafts, slip yoke eliminator or transfer case drop kit. New wider
        wheels advisable for 12.5" wide tyres. Probably new fender flares
        to fit over the bodywork you had to cut away.

Bigger sizes rise exponentially.

Offline Bishops Finger

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 23:47:20 »
Confused.....has datalass become drutt?

Anyway whats wrong with condescending....never put off a certain Torbay Hotel Owner........ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Fat Gaz

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 08:56:18 »
Have to say at this point a Cherokee (XJ) is a very capable truck, the first set of muds on standard steel rims I used when it was on standard suspension were only 215 x 75 x 15's.

Perfectly good enough for lanes & off-road sites. The only draw back being lack of ground clearance.
Still used them for a while after I had lifted it 3".

Now I run it with 235 AT's everyday & have a set of 235 muds. Frankly if where that dont take me I probably dont want to go  :wink:

Also something which you may want to bear in mind, I think you will struggle to fit anything bigger than a 235 spare wheel on the standard mounting point. Something I had to beer in mind as the dog still needs to travel in the boot area.
Just trying to earn the money to have some fun

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
Will these fit?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 09:48:31 »
Quote from: "Fat Gaz"
Also something which you may want to bear in mind, I think you will struggle to fit anything bigger than a 235 spare wheel on the standard mounting point. Something I had to beer in mind as the dog still needs to travel in the boot area.

Ah - yes, true - when I went to 31/10.5/15s I lay the spare flat in the load bay and made a new boot floor out of marine ply that clipped over the top of this... 235/75s still fit the standard carrier, just, with a bit of wiggling!  :roll:
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal