AuthorTopic: Tilt Advice  (Read 1387 times)

screwy

Tilt Advice
« on: July 23, 2007, 20:59:16 »
Right, I have been pondering for months on putting a canvass back on Rose partly for 'resto' reasons and partly for comfort as all and sundry tell me they are better, warmer and dryer than hardtops.....

Well today I have come to the conclusion that this is a god idea! Currently my ancient ex-military-from-another-vehicle-badly-put-on-and-with-knackered-seals hardtop is giving up the ghost. Over time it has had so many holes and fixings put into it, that many are now leaking under this torrential drought we have had this summer. Today it has been worse than ever and all my hard work cleaning and trying to 'do up' the interior is now soaked and being slowly undone. Under heavy rain earlier it was literally running like a tap through one hole right onto the rear bulkhead. :shock:

So if I go the canvass route....

1. Is it really drier and warmer?
2. Is it really quieter?
3. For it to stay dry, how much maintenance is required?
4. What about shrinking? I have seen some frightening shrunken tilts, so how do you stop this happening?

Finally, where is the best place to get one from? I have seen the ones on Exmoor Trim and they look superb. Paddocks look passable. Craddocks cannot be bothered to put any pictures on their site and IMO are pretty poor in the can-I-help-you stuff. I can't seem to find tilts anywhere else, so where is best and best value? I don't mind paying slightly over prices for quality that will last, but am on the tightest of budgets really.

Any advice gratefully received as I have to resolve this issue before winter starts and given the summer, wont be that far away.... :roll:

Offline philbert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Tilt Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 22:22:11 »
i can say that my full canvas seems to be warmer and drier than a hard top.
definately not quiter especially when it flaps about in the wind.
to stop it shrinking you need to keep it tight until its been wet and dried a few times.
as for quality well ive just bought one from e****r t**m and its not the best ive ever seen you pays your money you takes your chance!

hope that helps

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Tilt Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 23:07:36 »
If you can find one, good luck

The dutch military one is the best, not being pure canvas but more like a curtain side truck material, plastic with fabric in it is great all year round

It wa sheer luck I got one but would love to find another one, wears a lot better and the fixtures are much better than the standard british mil types
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Tilt Advice
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 23:29:01 »
From what I've read elsewhere recently, just buy the cheapest one you can find, they're all pretty much the same, I've heard of expensive ones being no better than cheap ones - only difference is profit. You can use some brick waterproofing stuff to brush on and keep things water tight.

Answers to your Qs from what I've heard, not my own experience - got a truckcab so far...

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Brush it yearly with some stuff - something like Thompsons brick seal or anything really like this
4) When you get it, get it on, tie it down tight, then get it really wet - it will shrink to fit, then should do no further once dried out.
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Tilt Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 22:04:50 »
I've soft-top LR's for over 15-years now and hard-tops & truck-cabs before that so I think I have had a fair bit of experience.

I would say that a well fitting soft-top is at least as warm as a lined hard-top (an un-lined hard-top is cold & drips condensation). Add a fume curtain in winter and it is like having a truck-cab, the advantage of which is that it warms up so much quicker.

They are definately noisier as no matter how well it fits, it will always flap.

I have never had to water-proof one as they have always remained completely water-tight even after many years use. If I did, I would use fabseal (or similar) which is used for re-water proofing tents. It is designed for the job and has served me well in the past.

They all shrink however some are a better fit after shrinking than others.
I once had one that fitted perfectly from day one, however after a couple of weeks it was clear that it was getting way too small however the company I bought it from had gone out of business by then (I wonder why?). A nice baggy tilt will usually shrink down to be a good fit, I would expect to get at least 6-years out of a tilt before gaps appear but by that age, there are usually a couple of tears or the windows have started to go cloudy anyway. Having said that, a good quality tilt will last as long again if looked after. A good tip is not to use elastic ropes as they permit shrinkage. If you feel the need to use them (I use them across the rear only as I undo this most trips) don't fit them straight away to allow initial shrinkage to take place.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline per_ardua

Attack Member
Tilt Advice
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 23:21:19 »
as what Litch said!

one other point,

don't be tempted to paint it to match military colours/ camouflage patterns.

the paint will eventually crack and this will cause the canvas to crack and split.

We were actually prohibited from painting tilts as they would only last a very short time afterwards whern they were unless continually repainted.

the new rubberised tilts are often spray painted though.

hope this adds to help

Per Ardua

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Tilt Advice
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 23:50:22 »
You'd also be very surprised at how cheap the new WOLF spec tilt should be from the stealers - we pay something daft like 30 odd quid a pop so they cant be that expensive to buy from a civvy source.  They are waaaaay better but you'd need to change a few things around the door tops and screen to fit one - that would bump the price up and may make it not worthwhile, dunno, may be worth a shot?

(By the WOLF one I mean the new 'rubberised' ones mentioned above)
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Tilt Advice
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 17:16:50 »
That type are available from the manufacturers and actually cost only a few £ more than the traditional type, they are also made to be a direct replacement so they fit with the normal fittings (I will remember the name of the manufacturer in a minute).
I had a look at them at one of the shows last years as I was really interested in one but close up I didn't think they looked as nice and also I had heard that long term, they can crack & leak (true or not I don't know).
Certianly the manufacturer sold all sorts of options, internal insulating panels, additional windows etc but I dodn't like them enough to replace my existing one.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal