AuthorTopic: Fail to stop...  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Boggert

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fail to stop...
« on: July 22, 2007, 18:55:17 »
This happened to me yesterday, had me in stitches!

My self and my colleague were stood in one of my villages. we had arranged to close the road due to the flooding and were waiting for highways. The problem was it was hard to tell what was the road and what was river and all on a corner.
Well highways arrived put up signs and diverts and I stood watching the river rise. The locals lined the bridge with cameras taking snaps. I then hear a vehicle approaching from the other side at speed everyone looked around to see one of the local boy racers heading to the flood at speed!
He drove around the sign and hit the water with a massive splash. he managed to keep to the wrong side of the road where the camber made it a bit more shallow, but as soon as he saw me and the blue lights he hit the brakes, I think we would have made it if he didn't panic... the crowd gave a big cheer as his 53 plate saxo came to a halt in 2 feet of water! :lol:  and even a bigger cheer as his girlfriend got out yelling at him!
To be honest it made my day and my self and the chair of the parish council were in stitches!

I saw the lad this morning, he recovered his car late last night and its a gonner... And I don't think the insurance company will pay out as it was his fault. He also got a Section 59 from me for failing to stop and driving like a numpty!

On a serious note it amazing how many foke just don't bother to stop!
I spoke to 3 car loads who are all respectable foke who just felt the didn't need to stop.
 :shock:
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 19:05:15 »
To be quite honest, iv never understood what harm driving down a flooded road is doing to anyone apart from the person driving in it?

Surly road closed should be there to act as a warning that obviously this road is closed for one reason or another, if someone chooses to ignore and hurts themself well thats their own fault isnt it?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Fail to stop...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 20:02:29 »
Coming back through Renishaw a couple of weeks ago the road past the golf course was closed due to flooding.  Quite obvioulsy everyone else had the same idea as me, this road is a long way off my normal route but I thought I'd have a look and chance it, the LSE can paddle a bit after all.

Well the road was chocka, no-one had taken any notice of the sign and the 'puddle' was occupied by drowned cars.  I have little sympathy TBH.

What's annoying is the first time I feel really vindicated in driving a 4x4 and I can't get anywhere for the idiots who insist on atempting the impossible.

Nuggets.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Fail to stop...
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 20:12:07 »
Unfortunately it is the same old story. There will always be those who think they know best. The roads are closed for a reason, namely they are blocked or obstucted.
I had to deal with a fatal RTA that involved blocking the road off. A group of cyclists decided that they had the right to do what they wanted and began to try and quote the law at me, threaten me with complaints, telling me that I had no authority etc etc.
I responded with the usual response "fatal accident, blah blah, not very nice, blah blah, scene preservation, blah blah", but they did not want to listen.
So I lost the plot a little bit and took them through. They then started to honk and puke, while I stood back and said "I told you so, but you wouldn't believe me, now F**k off!!!!!"

Not very professional I know, but I had had enough by then.

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 20:15:49 »
Quote from: "Keri"
To be quite honest, iv never understood what harm driving down a flooded road is doing to anyone apart from the person driving in it?

Surly road closed should be there to act as a warning that obviously this road is closed for one reason or another, if someone chooses to ignore and hurts themself well thats their own fault isnt it?

Agreed, but when you get stuck, you are putting Police, fire and ambulance crews at risk when they try and save your backside.

Also when driving a flooded road, you cannot see what is under the water! the road could have started to break up and you could be heading for a large pot hole. If its a few inched no problem, but drive with caution. The other thing some times its hard to see where the verge, ditch or road is.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 20:27:43 »
Quote from: "Boggert"
Quote from: "Keri"

Agreed, but when you get stuck, you are putting Police, fire and ambulance crews at risk when they try and save your backside.

Also when driving a flooded road, you cannot see what is under the water! the road could have started to break up and you could be heading for a large pot hole. If its a few inched no problem, but drive with caution. The other thing some times its hard to see where the verge, ditch or road is.

I agree there are some occasions where you would look and common sense would say nope not even gonna go there can't see the bottom, don't know the roads etc etc (some people seem to have no common sense at all) Like the people who can see a sign that say water 6ft yet still try to drive through  :?  that is where the problems start.

Bit different when the road is closed due to an accident and there are police there!

But sometimes when its jsut a little bit of flooding unpassable for a car but ok for a landrover, or when they closed a road round here to do a bit of resufacing to the edges so the workmen didn't get ran over during the day, but at night when tools etc were packed away there was nothing wrong with the road yet they kept it closed. I think in those instances your not doing much harm having a mouch and a drive down.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: Fail to stop...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 20:29:12 »
Section 59 ............driving like a numpty!

Is that the technical term for the offense?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Keri

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 20:30:14 »
I they want to free up emergency services time they should fetch in tighter restrictions on alcohol!

Offline Keri

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 20:30:43 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"

HEHE i thought that to  :P

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 20:34:02 »

Kinda... Its a warning.... if he cocks up again I'll take the car he's driving.

On another note if you go through a flood, watch out for man hole covers that have been blown off by water pressure, that will take a wheel off!

ben_haynes

Fail to stop...
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 20:37:42 »
unfortunatly My little VW polo went most places my Landys go lol and i never done any damage or drowned its gone past New rangie's, disco's,  jeep's and toyota's that have got stuck in water and on wet grass, i always see these people with flashy 4X4s who dont know how to use them

Offline Keri

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 20:45:40 »

On another note if you go through a flood, watch out for man hole covers that have been blown off by water pressure, that will take a wheel off!

GOing thru kings bromley one day the heavens had jsut opened up, and you could see all the man hole covers being pushed up  :shock:

screwy

Fail to stop...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 21:18:55 »
Regarding the 'right to travel', perhaps any officers or lawyers here can correct me if I am wrong: isn't it the case that the roads are technically 'owned' by the crown or the state and our right to travel over them is therefore governable by acts of parliament, etc, and really if they decided the whole network could theoretically be closed tomorrow?

wrecker

Fail to stop...
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 21:25:07 »
i agree with the chap whos says about these people who have shiney bmw x5,volvo and so on who think they can get thro,what we can with moded 4x4s

i had it friday,went down this road that was flooded, started to drive in then noticed the x5 was also going for it,

it came up over my bonnet a few times but have made my zuki so it can go that deep and more and when i looked the x5 had stooped,

so i turned round,went back thro and towed him out,got a cheer from the work men over the road too :D

mark

ben_haynes

Fail to stop...
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2007, 21:35:08 »
Quote from: "wrecker"
i agree with the chap whos says about these people who have shiney bmw x5,volvo and so on who think they can get thro,what we can with moded 4x4s

i had it friday,went down this road that was flooded, started to drive in then noticed the x5 was also going for it,

it came up over my bonnet a few times but have made my zuki so it can go that deep and more and when i looked the x5 had stooped,

so i turned round,went back thro and towed him out,got a cheer from the work men over the road too :D

mark

it was me who noted that but i have not had any problems in my VW polo although i not took it through water that deep as it would have been over the roof :lol:  but i will be taking the disco through it

wrecker

Fail to stop...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 21:42:37 »
most of the time its down to the driver,if you know what your doing for starters it helps a lot a :D

also would pay to see a polo go round some 60k 4x4 thats just stoped  :D  :D

well done, :lol:

mark

ben_haynes

Fail to stop...
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 21:49:49 »
damn i should have recorded it, there was a disco and a landcruiser stuck (think the disco was helping the Toyota out) but they were both stuck and i just rolled past them giving a wave and spraying them with mud  :lol:  :lol:

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 22:26:02 »

I always thought that section 59 was .........doing something likely to annoy a police office.  :wink:
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 22:34:59 »
Quote from: "gtomo2"

I always thought that section 59 was .........doing something likely to annoy a police office.  :wink:

Driving in a manner likely to cause Distress, alarm and annoyance... To anyone. But yes he bugged me by the way he was driving. :wink:

I had a chat with my skipper, we felt the loss of his car had taught him enough! So insted of the "Fail to stop offence" which was a bit iffy... we gave him the 59 as a warning.

ben_haynes

Fail to stop...
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 22:37:58 »
section 59 a driving order offence is like a section 5 which is a public order offence,  i only know that as i have had a few :lol:

section 59's that is   :lol:

basically driving like a numpty

wheel spinning, driving round town with you music to loud, driving to slow round the town just to mention a few :lol:

Offline RCRockCrawler

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 10:20:38 »
Quote from: "wrecker"

mark

It's because these Urban Offroaders think that their 4x4 will just keep going at any speed through the water, so they drown.

If the X5 is rompin' along through a flood, and the Polo is keeping a good bow wave up, who's gonna survive?  :lol:
www.UKRCRC.com - The UK's first and only RC rock crawling website!

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 12:04:18 »
I find the use of a section 59 in this very dubious.

As was said doing him for failing to stop was "a bit iffy" so a section 59 was issued. In what manner did he cause distress to the public? It was said that everyone had a good laugh at his expense, how does this constitute 'distress'?

It does seem to me that section 59's are being used for "annoying a police officer who can't actual get a prosicution because you havn't actualy done anything that is illigal"

Whilst I think that a catchall antisocail behavour charge is a good idea I cant help but feel that leaving it completly in the hands of individuals is a very bad step.

Very worrying.
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007, 13:00:58 »
Were the signs road closed rectangular or round co's rectangular are advisory and not mandatory so people can drive tround them at their own risk without committing an offence.

Only round road closed signs must be complied with.
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007, 16:34:58 »
Bear in mind folks, that if someone drives through a puddle and the spray drenches a pedestrian, that has been held in court to be 'driving without due care and attention'.
So I would say Boggert does have a point.
Also in this modern day and age, if a sign was not put up, and a driver goes round it, floods his car and blows the engine, then I'm sure that a smart alec lawyer would have a crack at sueing the Police, Highways Authority and Council for neglect over failing to warn of a possible danger.

In relation to Section 59, yes, it may seem draconian and I wonder how long it will be before some rambler comes across a 4x4 on a byway, that the rambler considers is being used in an anti-social manner, and the 4x4 gets a notice.

Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007, 18:08:18 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
Bear in mind folks, that if someone drives through a puddle and the spray drenches a pedestrian, that has been held in court to be 'driving without due care and attention'.
So I would say Boggert does have a point.
Also in this modern day and age, if a sign was not put up, and a driver goes round it, floods his car and blows the engine, then I'm sure that a smart alec lawyer would have a crack at sueing the Police, Highways Authority and Council for neglect over failing to warn of a possible danger.

In relation to Section 59, yes, it may seem draconian and I wonder how long it will be before some rambler comes across a 4x4 on a byway, that the rambler considers is being used in an anti-social manner, and the 4x4 gets a notice.

Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid

By the sounds of it LSP no one was swimming in the pool so no one got splashed :lol:

Trouble with booking everyone for the slightest wee thing is it trivialises the offence so they tend to get watered down by the courts. :lol:  :D
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

screwy

Fail to stop...
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007, 18:21:34 »
The signs dont matter do they? A POLICE officer signalled for them to stop and that's enough regardless. Fair enough issue and use of S59 IMHO. Support youer Police folks, cos someday soon we are going to need every one of them....

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 18:25:23 »

A bit irrelevant in this case if he's totalled the car!! He kinda ended up with the same result all of his own making  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 18:38:09 »
Quote from: "22KB86"
The signs dont matter do they? A POLICE officer signalled for them to stop and that's enough regardless. Fair enough issue and use of S59 IMHO. Support youer Police folks, cos someday soon we are going to need every one of them....

I couldn't agree more! I've been supporting me for a number of years, and I have to say I have never let myself down once, apart from that time at the pub where I bought myself several drinks to congratulate me on what a fantastic job I was doing. I suffered the day after mind you, I had to give myself a formal caution for drunk and disorderly with a plastic heron! Not a pretty sight!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 18:53:37 »
Quote from: "Bob696"
I find the use of a section 59 in this very dubious.

As was said doing him for failing to stop was "a bit iffy" so a section 59 was issued. In what manner did he cause distress to the public? It was said that everyone had a good laugh at his expense, how does this constitute 'distress'?

It does seem to me that section 59's are being used for "annoying a police officer who can't actual get a prosicution because you havn't actualy done anything that is illigal"

Whilst I think that a catchall antisocail behavour charge is a good idea I cant help but feel that leaving it completly in the hands of individuals is a very bad step.

Very worrying.

I see where you are coming from, however he had failed to stop at a closed road, which had been closed by the highways dept at the request of the Police, so that is a case of Fail to Stop. The reason a 59 was issued was because I was annoyed at his reckless action that could have put his life and his girlfriends life at risk, not to mention mine if he had gone in the river to save is sorry backside.
We felt he had learned his lesson and a Section 59 would confirm how the Police felt about his actions. The 59 will sit as a PNC marker on Him as well as the car, so if he is caught driving like an idiot again no matter what car he is in he is likely to loose it... Till he pays up!

The thing is it comes down to officer and that is the way it has been for years and it is my choice on how to deal with it to be honest I felt this was the way to go. Simple as that…

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Fail to stop...
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 19:07:41 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"
Unfortunately it is the same old story. There will always be those who think they know best. The roads are closed for a reason, namely they are blocked or obstucted.

I had to deal with a fatal RTA that involved blocking the road off.

So I lost the plot a little bit and took them through. They then started to honk and puke, while I stood back and said "I told you so, but you wouldn't believe me, now F**k off!!!!!"

Not very professional I know, but I had had enough by then.

It's a pity that this can't be done with drink-drivers, boy-racers, TWOC-ers, and the general motoring scrotes in order to shock them into driving like a rational considerate person.

Much like yourself, Boggart, & others, I've seen the aftermath far too many times
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal