AuthorTopic: disco 1 cold weather electrical problems? help please!!  (Read 5370 times)

TUFFTEE

disco 1 cold weather electrical problems? help please!!
« on: December 20, 2004, 19:04:46 »
Hi all
        Went out to my disco this morning after 2 days parked in this wet and very frosty weather and found that i have no headlights/stereo/4 way flashers/interior light/ horn/ or clock? however the disco starts up ok and i have indicators and brake lights and heater fan! i have checked the fuses and they are ok and i re-seated the battery terminals but still to no-avail! i stripped off the steering column casing and checked the wire connections and found i think was very low voltage to the indicator/light switch arm? and i am baffled! anyone with some ideas please! thanks in advance.

Offline Arightpest

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 19:36:45 »
Hello Sandman

Is your disco a 200 if so check the fusible links on top of your drivers wing under the bonnet, there are four wires coming from the live side of you battery, for some strange reason are rapped in some kind of bag and this lets the wires corrode I hade problems with headlights going out if I piped my horn or the radio died if I flashed my lights. One word of warning if it is them don’t play with them unless you can join them up again because as soon as I touched the wires they snapped.

If it’s a 300 I don’t think they have the same wires? Perhaps land rover sussed the problem out.

All the best

Arightpest

TUFFTEE

arightpest
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 19:41:35 »
thankyou for your input it is a 200tdi and whenever i flash the lights the radio does die for a few seconds! i will check that out tomorrow thankyou
                                                        nev.......

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 19:48:36 »
Hello Sandman

It does sound like the same thing. I replaced all four wires they had all gone a lovely shade of green, two broke of in my hand. I had a look at a friends motor and we had to do the same to his. If anybody out there has got a 200 I won’t hurt to check them before they let you down.

Arightpest

TUFFTEE

Thanks guys
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 20:29:19 »
I will certainly check those wires out! any ideas where they go too from the battery that is? Is it a big and fiddly job?
                         Merry Xmas Nev....

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 22:12:12 »
Hello Nev

I am not sure they disappear towards the dash area so your guess is as good as mine lol.
But once I changed the nasty green bits I have had no problems with it. The first problem I had was the radio going daft but the main one was the immobilizer getting all upset I think it was down to the low voltage it thought it was being stolen so it decided to not let me start the disco at all the indicators were going daft and the horn and the central door locking wouldn’t work so all I ended up with was a two tonne brick? This would be great fun if I was down some lovely country road up to my ears in mud. But as luck would have it. It did it on my drive, if you can call it luck. I hope this will cure your problem.

All the best Arightpest

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 22:18:45 »
Oops sorry

it’s not that bad a job you just need some suitable wires to be able to bridge the old corroded wire out because if it was like mine the fusible link was to far to gone just cut and re solder it back together. You might be able to buy replacement links form somewhere I am not sure.

The pest

Merry xmas all

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal