AuthorTopic: Electric Fans on a defender 90 2.5 TD require help please  (Read 514 times)

Offline Tango

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Ok so Ive got my 1989 F plate TD2.5 90 and the viscous does not really cut the job, the rads getting well hot and is not being cooled down by the fan, I think its busted as you can stop it with your hand!!!! anyway im a compitant Elecie and Im going to the breakers to get the biggest electric fan I can find!!!! Now what I want to know is, would it be better to run on a switch OR can I run a split circuit from the temp sensor on the engine block!!!

The last one is on the top left hand corner of the rad is a bolt which comes out, can I place a temp sensor here for the fan??? Answers on a post card please.

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
Electric Fans on a defender 90 2.5 TD require help please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 22:32:13 »
The TD rad is a favourite for blocking with mud at the rear and looking clear from the front.... may be worth removing from the motor and the rear jetwashing out, The TD rad is a fair size, much bigger than the TDI which is why I have fitted one to my TDI and it runs very very cool in fact i have no fan fitted at all.

The rad may well be blocked and shot if old, reverse flush and see what comes out

As for fans get one off a vauxhall cavalier they shift a huge amount of air and the plastic surround fits perfectly top to bottom on a landy rad, it sits nicely in the bottom groove and a small bracket can be fabricated to attatch the top, used a few but got no pics.. sorry

As for a sensor I beleive x-Eng do a very good one that controls a fan but no doubt someone will be along with details

A final note... be very very careful letting a TD run in the slightest bit warm.. they really are crap engines if abused or not looked after carefully... hence the reason I now have a 200TDI..... I would rather go back to an NA diesel than a TD :)

Cheers Steve

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Electric Fans on a defender 90 2.5 TD require help please
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 00:15:13 »
The X-Eng switch looks ok or I bought one from Merlin Motorsport that simply fits through the fins of the rad, adjuct the temp it switches at by moving it accross the rad from hot to cold sides, simple.

The temp sender will not in any way cope with switching even a relay, unless you mean the switch for the A/C fans.  Alternatively if you don't have A/C then the elob that has the switch on A/C equiped cars can be retro-fitted and hey presto, a switch.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal