AuthorTopic: Stripping paint?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline Bob Ajob

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Stripping paint?
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:21:45 »
Stripping Paint?

Nitromors is the only way!!!
Comes off way easier than carefully brushing it off with an angle grinder attachment, which is a pain as I can't get the brush of my ginder now that I don't need it!

Using Nitromors is well simple, just remember to wear goggles and your wife's best marigolds, and keep some fresh water (hose pipe) to hand for when you splash yourself - it burns.

As soon as the gallery will let me upload pics, will post them up
Amber is a 1971 Series IIa with a 2286 petrol

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Stripping paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 16:37:16 »
Yep, Nitromors is good, but as you say - stingy burny if you get it on your skin. Don't rinse with hot water either, as the fumes make your eyes water and nose sting. I used it to prep the bonnet for catflap.

Offline The Landy Guy

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 18:37:40 »
where can i get some Nitromors?
Series Rule!!!!

1970 Series 2A SWB(89-inch) Truck Cab

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 20:14:21 »
Hardware stores.

B&Q seem to have it on special offer, my Green tin (Litre / two?) cost only £3 something, whereas last time I saw it in Homebase, it was £15

Go check B&Q quick before they realise...
In fact, I must get another tin...

Make sure you get the green, not yellow, Green washes off with cold water, Yellow does not!

Don't forget to buy some goggles too, you don't want that in your eyes!

Offline The Landy Guy

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 20:45:09 »
jeeze i will

and do you just paint it on?
Series Rule!!!!

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 21:07:42 »
It's got instructions on the back of the tin, but basically:

Do this outside, not in your garage (bad fumes).
Get your hose pip near by, with the water on, and just off at the pointy end.
Also get a bucket of water and a sponge.

Pour some in the lid, stipple it on with an old paintbrush - I used a 1 1/2" brush as it's what I picked up first.
It says to wait 20 minutes without letting it dry out, so watch it bubble up, and keep stippling over the top of what's there so it doesn't dry out. You'll find paint coming off onto your brush, but don't worry about that. You probably won't need to wait 20 mins, as you'll find the POs never rubbed down the paint, so it actually comes off rather well.

Work in small areas, in what ever pattern suits you, you'll see what works as you go along. Scrape after the paint has bubbled, buy yourself a putty knife, and a thin (2" ish) scraper, scraper useful for wide bits, putty knife has a small straight bit, and a curved bit which is useful for stubborn bits.

Don't push too hard with the scrapers or you may scrape down to bare metal.

It's good fun, and gets fast results, way better than angle-brushing!!

For the door strips, and windscreen surrounds, consider an old hard plastic kitchen spatular so you don't scratch the galvanising underneath, I've found the galvanised strips are actually quite well preserverd, or look it anyway :)

Once you've done a patch, it's worth wiping down the area with the wet sponge so the remover doesn't react anymore with the undercoat.

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 21:08:28 »
Done carefully, it may actually save you re-painting your landrover - it will me ;)

Offline The Landy Guy

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 22:09:39 »
coool cheers mate
Series Rule!!!!

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 23:29:55 »
Some piccies now, finally been able to upload to the gallery.

Before - note the painted windscreen surround. In fact, note that everything is painted! Even the bloomin washer jets!! Grrr!

After most of the fron there done by angle-grinder with brush attachment, not recommended (but I had to try it). Couple of reasons why not, takes too much paint off, it's slow, makes you hands tingle, the brush attachment gets stuck on your grinder!

Windscreen surround is a bit fiddly. I can't tell you how many layers of paint are on the roof!! I'll count them when I get to the roof again

Aaah - progress. I actually started here with the Nitromors, more fun in a large area, best picture to show last for progress though :)

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Stripping paint?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 00:27:47 »
Looking nice!

I'll vouch to say that the prolonged inhalation of nitromor's leaves you feeling very lightheaded.  :oops:
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline The Landy Guy

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 00:41:27 »
well looks like the paint jobs gonna have to wait i got a shot gearbox to remove and find a new one to be fitted
Series Rule!!!!

Offline James.Harwood

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:11 »
random orbital sander works well, got most of the bonnet stripped in 15 mins.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Stripping paint?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 18:42:17 »
Doesn't the paint react if you have treated the panel in Nitromors then?   I want to tidy up my Sankey but there is so much NATO paint on it I was thinking of just slapping more on with a brush.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 19:51:11 »
Nitromors is funny stuff, it tends to react with the top layers of paint, and goes deeper depending on how long you leave, and how much you keep on adding. It can quite often get to a very old layer of paint and not react with it as much as the top layers as it's been there a long time so takes more Nitromors to react, don't know how this works though...

If you're going to slap more on anyway, it won't hurt to try a bit first I reckon

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Stripping paint?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 22:57:55 »
Worth a try as I don't really want to go through the original alumium primer where it's still there.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

screwy

Stripping paint?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 19:57:13 »
STOP!

Before you all rush and buy Nitromors, there is an alternative!

There is a water based paint stripper called HomeStrip Paint and Varnish Remover. Being water based there are no horrible fumes, and safer to use. It is also better for the environment 'man' not that I give a rats about the last bit!

More on their site here:

http://www.homestrip.co.uk/Home-BaseA.htm#

Does the same as Nitromors but without the nasty stuff. I have used this product on a wall at home and it successfully stripped 6+ layers of vinyl emulsion (waterproof), ordinary emulsion and oil based paints. Worked better the longer it was left, didnt smell awful and didnt kill my paintbrush! Easy to rinse off after and is a gel so goes on vertical surfaces easily.

I admit I haven't tried on car panels yet, but would be interested to see what happens. Got to be worth a try?

Offline Bob Ajob

Attack Member
Stripping paint?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 00:14:20 »
There are two different types of Nitromors, Green tin, Yellow tin. Green tin comes off with water (what I got), Yellow tin doesn't. Green tin has the consistency of wall paper paste, so does stay put on vertical panels, just best to not let it dry out i.e. apply more up to how long you wish to leave it - do some test patches - longer you leave it, deeper it goes. Green not that bad for fumes, just burns on bare skin, though leaves no mark once washed off with cold water. Yellow tin I wouldn't touch without a nuclear suit...

HomeStrip - Cheers mate :)
I had a look at the stockists, was going to say there's not one near me, though they stock it at all Focus DIY stores, and there is one of them near me. So, when I run out of Nitromors, I'll go and price it up ;)

When I get round to finishing the current tin of stripper I have, and have started with the next of HomeStrip, will let you know if it burns too  :shock: I'm bound to splash myself...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal