AuthorTopic: Over heating??  (Read 1148 times)

Offline lucky

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Over heating??
« on: July 03, 2007, 07:35:26 »
Hi all

When i was towing the other day my temp guage started to rise!! i used to tow a lot with my old rangie and i never had and troubles.

The guage rose up to the white line just before the red line  :shock: . I was towing a dicovery though at the time, but what really concerned me was that the guage rose till nearly the same level when i was just towing the the empty trailer. It never actually got to the red but it was close.

Is it normal for the guage to rise this much when towing??  :?:  or do i need to start looking for a problem?? :?:

Any advice appreciated as i normaly do quiet a bit of towing and though that the 4ltr would be good for the job

Thanks again
V8 Rangie
2" lift
Pro Comp 4" shocks
33" mud terrains
Ashley Motorsport exhaust
polly bushed
castor corrected radius arms
lpg
K&Ns
and MUD

plus stock Isuzu trooper

Grand Cherokee

Offline UKJeeper

Attack Member
Over heating??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:37:41 »
I tow my YJ on a plant trailer all over the place and haven't had a problem yet.

I'd run one of those radiator cleaners through the system for a couple of days, and then back flush the coolant system. Change the thermostat too, i did just find that mine was opening way too early.

Offline bigrapids_offroad

Attack Member
Over heating??
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 16:17:11 »
the top hoses are notorious for delaminating on the inside which when under load ballons on the inside blocking the water flow.
ive had 3 like that
1985 RRC undergoing improvement
alfa romeo GTV daily drive

skip

Over heating??
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 17:46:47 »
I had chronic cooling probs with my 4 litre.

The thing that fixed it in the end was having the radiator recored. I had tried back flushing it but it was to far gone.

XJs are marginal on cooling, so the system has to be in top condition to avoid overheating, on the plus side you'll be very unlucky to blow the head gasket or anything like that, those motors are tough. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal