Offline Dirty Gertie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
bombers
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 17:17:23 »
Quote from: "Wolfie"
Actually, the penalty of death for treason and piracy was repealed by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

Damn!! I'm sure it could be brought back by popular demand (a bit like 'Take That' and the 'Spice Girls'!!  :wink: )
Janie.
Willow, Keavy, Angel, Thor, sleep tight my darlings, God bless.[/i]
 K.O.R.C.Darkside4x4

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 17:22:34 »
Two of those linked with the attempted bombings are doctors. Do doctors not have to take a hypocratic oath that they will preserve life and stop pain and suffering?
Lee from Brum

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 18:07:37 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"
Two of those linked with the attempted bombings are doctors. Do doctors not have to take a hypocratic oath that they will preserve life and stop pain and suffering?

In the UK and US yes, I'm not sure about elsewhere.

Although 'Do No Harm' isnt in the original.

This is in the modern one though:

'Never to do deliberate harm to anyone for anyone else's interest.'
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

screwy

bombers
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 18:26:52 »
Quote from: "pilgrim"
surely we can learn from what has happened in northern iresland. it was not that long ago that everyone with an irish accent was a terrorist, now it is the arabs.

if we believe in western democracy (the concept of majority rule) then surely we are an islamic state? lets us face it, our so-called democracy is no superior to anyone else's system for choosing their leaders.

what is needed is to remove the emotion and the hatred from the equation. this is something that many people are working hard towards on all sides of the racial/political/faith divide.

before i get stick - i am not saying the terrorist should not be punished, i just think that the punishment is not the solution to our problems. the beauty of our country is that it promotes freedom of speech and debate - neither of which have ever killed anyone.

Sorry Pilgrim, but punishment is the solution. For too long this country has adopted a soflty-softly approach in everything from diplomatic relations to crime to terrorism and it does not work. The prison system is overflowing at the moment and this at a time when it is highly undesireable to send people there. Why? Because there are more and more criminals. Why? Because all through their lives they are allowed to totally dominate everyone by spouting their rights.

Now I think it is high time we had the other side of rights which is responsibility and consequnces for one's owns actions and that means punishment first before reabilitation.

And whilst I agree whole heartedly with your thoughts on reasoned debate, the problem is with the current threat from islamic and other religious fundamentalists is that ther is NO debating with them! They beleive their twisted versions of reality are right and we are wrong and that's it. No debate. No debate to the point of their own death in so-called fatwahs, suicide bombs and more.

And it is very hard to remove emotion and hatred when faced with the same.

And finally, I dont understand your comments on Western democracy being equated with an Islamic state? Western democracy allows religious and spiritual freedoms to all faiths despite being largely based in Christianity. Islamic states do not offer the same freedoms to their citizens, openly persecuting many for their religions. There are exceptions of course, but I still do not understand the similie??

Edge

bombers
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 19:11:32 »
At the end of the day... these terrorists are attacking "OUR" innocent women children and men...., too cowardly to attack our government or armed forces.

I'm puzzled as to why they dont single out our politicians?

Talking of politicians.... noticed the majority of councilors are now asian/muslim in our big cities.

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
bombers
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 19:28:43 »
what makes you laugh(or cry) is the amount of money spent on on hounding out smokers :shock:  lets create some more jobs for the unemployable to go round and find the smokers, they are a threat to everyones way of life with their filthy habit :lol:

lets not have some more police instead though to catch criminals who will stop at nothing to incinerate themselves and others eh comrade brown :?
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline landyman37

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 19:41:35 »
Quote from: "skip"
I belive that If anyone is caught having anything to do with terrorism, they should be deported forthwith, that includes imediate familiy as well, even if they are british citizens.

I realise that it is hard on the families but that kind of action will drive the message home that we are not prepared to accept that kind of behaviour from anyone no matter what race or religion.

I'm sorry but that's the way I feel, No stuff it i'm not sorry at all! why should I be.

Agree totally.
Regards Phil

Ya twisting me melons man.

Offline discotdi

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2007, 19:45:12 »
I see the Authorities have named one of the Glasgow Bombers....

Sinj Majeep
1969 Dormobile 2A.1969 Series 2a,Series 3 FC ex fire engine,1978 S3 Lightweight

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2007, 21:22:53 »
Quote from: "discotdi"
I see the Authorities have named one of the Glasgow Bombers....

Sinj Majeep

Get your coat  :lol:  :lol:
Lee from Brum

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
bombers
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2007, 21:33:03 »
I belive that If anyone is caught having anything to do with terrorism, they should be deported forthwith, that includes imediate familiy as well, even if they are british citizens.

I realise that it is hard on the families but that kind of action will drive the message home that we are not prepared to accept that kind of behaviour from anyone no matter what race or religion.

I'm sorry but that's the way I feel, No stuff it i'm not sorry at all! why should I be.

what if its english people involved ? where you going to deport them to?
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2007, 21:43:32 »
Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"
Isn't there a little bit of contradiction in saying people should be deported if they don't believe in freedom of opinion and the right of freedom of speech, and then saying they should also be deported if they don't agree with Western democracy, Christianity, etc?

I'm an atheist, and I think some Western democracies are corrupt shams.  Does that mean I get deported?  If so, where's my freedom of speech?

My own views are somewhere between the two.  I strongly believe that if you want to live in Britain, you should accept its values, laws, and culture.   I choose to live here (I declined the opportunity to move to the US a few years ago).  I don't agree with everything in this country.  I don't agree with the corrput sham that our democracy has become.  I don't feel that any religion - Christianity, Islam, or Scientology has any more relevant to modern life than, say, a re-enactment society or other historical observance.  I choose to accept all of those things, largely because I can't find a better option that doesn't involve learning another language.

But you either accept the law, culture and values of the western world, or leave.  You choose.

I also firmly hold the belief that if ANYONE thinks terrorism is a justifiable way to make their viewpoint known, it invalidates that viewpoint for themselves, and anyone else who holds it.  If a religion leads to justification of terror, that religion is evil in nature -- just as any religion condoning mass child abuse is evil in nature.  

Back to the question of the poll: there are two problems with hanging the low-life behind this.  The first is getting trial for treason to actually stick.  The bigger one is making a martyr of the evil murderers.  What you actually need to do is to prohibit press coverage of terrorist trials.  The only thing reported at the end is "the perpetrator was found guilty and sentenced."  Don't mention who it was.  Don't give their PR agents a chance to glorify their death.

My own solution is to treat terrorists as foreign soldiers mounting an act of war, and to send the army after them.
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
bombers
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2007, 22:01:01 »
Quote from: "BrumLee"

I think you'll find that when the extremists are alledgedly being influenced by a higher being, entity, what ever you want to call it, the hypocratic oath is not that high up on their priority list.

Offline MrTFWitt

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2007, 01:23:37 »
Quote from: "beast5680"

what if its english people involved ? where you going to deport them to?

Downtown Bagdad, boot them out of an APC wearing a Union jack T-Shirt one saturday morning.
Watch out theres a tigger about!

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2007, 15:47:00 »
Do you know what makes me really proud to be British and to sit here typing this?

I CAN SIT HERE TYPING THIS.
When i was at school/college I met people from all nations and religions.
The only group that seemed to cause problems were "The Asians" as we called them.  I have no idea what country they were from I can guess the religion.

Another thing I can now do without being called a racist is fly the flag of St George/Union Flag on my Land Rover.  That would have been frowned upon 5 + years ago.
I never understood why Scotland flew there's, wales flew theirs.
I was at a Scout camp a long time ago and I dug out the Union Flag and as we had a French National with us I got his out too.  He was ecstatic he wrapped himself up in it and was generally well pleased.  Our Scouts couldn't have given too hoots about the union flag.
A couple of years ago my then new step daughter found the St Georges flag and did exactly the same as the french guy.  That is good, we are once again proud of our selves.
As for the vote hang em - PUBLICLY
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"
Langley Farm Booking Secretary - Camping
Yorkshire Land Rover Owners Club
Langley Farm 4x4 Show 7th - 9th September 2007

Offline blackbob

Attack Member
bombers
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 21:14:36 »
see they timed there attacks when the airport was full of kids as it was the first day of summer holidays
how would the muslims like it if we blew up there kids or religious centers think there could be riots in the streets soon
i also think that they should bring our armed forces home to help police the streets
love's mud and lpg and the wife
skype ekken3011

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal