AuthorTopic: wheel spacers  (Read 1342 times)

Offline bombx3

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
wheel spacers
« on: June 27, 2007, 06:58:49 »
Now i have mended my front half shaft do i put wheel spaces on while the wheels are off.Any coments took on board
 defender 200 tdi. 59,000m ,winch .spots,front rollcage,rear internalcage,snorkel,undersealed,polybushed,tweaked motor,roof tent ,muds ,noise reducers,stainless exhaust,3"lift+4 shocks,chequered plating,12 change cd ,cb,sound proof kit,sunroof,landrover carpet,wading kit.hilift jack,rock sliders jackable,axle breather kit,folding forward facing rear,roof rack to carry roof tent, seat,electric seat warmer.tilt meter,full stainlees exhaust,fire exstingsher thatcham alarm ,immobolizer , fsh and only used on sundays once a month,now 38" boggers,wide ange props,4pin diff ,ashcroft shafts,qt steering bar ,winch

Offline richo

Attack Member
wheel spacers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 21:45:47 »
Let us know how you get on with the spacers as i might fit some to my 110csw to improve the turning circle as its garbage at the moment
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline bombx3

Attack Member
wheel spacers
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 21:58:26 »
i am not getting them till i no about what they do .\but i have to put my wheels on soon
 defender 200 tdi. 59,000m ,winch .spots,front rollcage,rear internalcage,snorkel,undersealed,polybushed,tweaked motor,roof tent ,muds ,noise reducers,stainless exhaust,3"lift+4 shocks,chequered plating,12 change cd ,cb,sound proof kit,sunroof,landrover carpet,wading kit.hilift jack,rock sliders jackable,axle breather kit,folding forward facing rear,roof rack to carry roof tent, seat,electric seat warmer.tilt meter,full stainlees exhaust,fire exstingsher thatcham alarm ,immobolizer , fsh and only used on sundays once a month,now 38" boggers,wide ange props,4pin diff ,ashcroft shafts,qt steering bar ,winch

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
wheel spacers
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 22:20:21 »
do you actualy need them ?
you do notice a gain in cornering stability..but i wouldnt have them if my darn rims had 10mm more offset but they dont so i had to have them to stop my simex modying more bodywork  :roll:  and themselves  :roll:

btw you do have to keep tabs on the bearings as they ware abit faster
but has never bothered me as its apart every other week  :roll:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Priglet

Attack Member
wheel spacers
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:35:35 »
I've got them on my 110. As I run on 235/85 the spacers make the wheels look like they fill the arches a bit better, and anything that improves the turning circle has got to be a good thing.
Phil

Daisy the 110SW, a greenhouse on wheels.

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
wheel spacers
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 10:52:20 »
Guy over the road is running 'em on his 200TDi 90 with BFG MTs - size escapes me for now, but big ones anyway! -  and swears by 'em - parking is a lot easier which is a good thing as its his everyday transport.....
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
wheel spacers
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:03:14 »

it not something you need to do unless you are using oversize tyres or you want you landy's wheels to fill the arches.

So far in the 3 years that I've had 35mm spacer (running 285/70 R16 BFG Muds) on I haven't notice a issue with the wheel bearing but from what I gather it  means your 9 years rather 10(however long the last).

Pluses
Improved looks(some might argue with that). (Mean or Beastly)
Does improve handling particularly if you have raised it.

Negatives
Additional wear on bearing(you have this with Heavily offset wheels to)
The vehicle is wider and makes it more difficult to park in tight spaces although being able to see the rear wheels in your mirror is an advantage.

Offline thepsychoman

Attack Member
wheel spacers
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 21:29:50 »
Another negative - you won't be able to take part in any MSA affiliated event - spacers over 25mm are banned and most Landy ones are a min of 1 inch.

Another, nother negative - unless TUV approved or similar they'll void your insurance.

NEVER, EVER use spacers with screw on stud extensions - these were dangerous in the 70s & 80s (speaks from experience) and Chris knows how manufacturers get away with selling them now.

Better answer is just get wheels with a bigger offset, if you need to IMHO.
It aint what you drive its the way that you drive it...

Offline Lee_D

Attack Member
wheel spacers
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:18:17 »
Surely by widening the track you're more likely to get the Diff hung up too. Main temptation for me was glitzy wheels but there are few actually rated to take the weight of a 110 so in the end I wend with modulars and killed two birds - Saved a fortune on getting spacers and also got the option of tighter steering lock. (Note to self - adjust lock stops)
Currently : ' 03 Range Rover Vogue TD6 Auto, '90 110 CSW TD
Previously : 101 Ambi Prototype, Jaguar powered IIa Auto , '83 RRC , '90 RRC , '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd

Guardian.

wheel spacers
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 18:41:16 »
i love spacers, wont hear a bad word about em, look good especially with little wheels, and do help with the steering especially on a 110.
i have spacers on our 110 with 35 / 12.5 / 15 muds, they stick out the arches a couple off inches now, but make excellent rambler catchers, i love em.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal