AuthorTopic: The 80mph 'Mad Max' monster targeting the Taliban - Supacat  (Read 1438 times)

Offline stevegreen

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0

Headline & photo from .http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=463936&in_page_id=1811

An interesting piece of kit - but where's the armour?

Anyone seen any more photos of it up on the web?

Devonport firm wins MoD contract  
A contract to supply the Ministry of Defence (MoD) with 130 special patrol vehicles has been won by a Devon firm.
Devonport Management Limited (DML) said the urgent order was for high mobility 4x4 vehicles which will be used by British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The first vehicles, described by a serving officer as "like a Land Rover on steroids", will be delivered overseas early next year.

The contract is in addition to DML's dockyard refit and maintenance role.

This includes upgrading and fuelling of the Royal Navy's submarines.

It was announced in May that DML was being bought by the engineering group Babcock International in a £350m deal.

Offline McGuire

Attack Member
The 80mph 'Mad Max' monster targeting the Taliban - Supacat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 19:48:05 »
Crew survival time - 5 minutes (if lucky)?
McGuire

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 21:36:22 »
Its no more exposed than a WMIK and they do OK.

It's all in the tactics gentlemen, tactics.........

There are hardly any reports of injuries or deaths to WMIK crewmen when mounted - its when you get on shank's pony and mix it with the bad-guys close in that things get nasty.  WMIK and this new thing are just a very good way of moving fairly heavy fire-power around the battlefield in a way that means its mobile and can be quickly re-positioned dependent on the threat picture at the time.

They are also very good at dominating ground - not as good as a tank, but better than a bunch of squaddies on foot - they are a compromise essentially, but a very good one.

nice bit of kit and about time too..............
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

littlepow

Re: The 80mph 'Mad Max' monster targeting the Taliban - Supa
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 15:49:51 »
Quote from: "stevegreen"

An interesting piece of kit - but where's the armour?

Exactly were it needs to be, that's why WMIKS are becoming E-WMIKS using the same armour placement.

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 13:22:24 »
Very simple to weres the armour
It has to be fast and more amour equals slower speeds. Cvr"t" that i used to command are only armour plated for 7.62 and may be a morter if it land far enough away. Though it did have a nice pointy thing at the front that fires 30mm rounds that can upset most peoples day.  And fast attck kit is just tubes with a engine two seats and a lot of guns no armour whats so ever.
Oh and on paper my life span in battle was 30 secs so i would not even have the time to send a contact report. though have been in battle and i am still here. so sometimes little armour is better as it gives you more speed and abilty to get out of a postion you dont want to be in.
Oh and that new bit of kit does look good but whats the betting as with every thing the army gets it will need modding before it can be use by front line troops :roll:
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

pux

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 13:32:23 »
Its a SAS vehicle not for general service and they have armoured seats and belly plus the panel on the front and back and the rear sides are armoured tis a nice bit of kit  :wink: that must be an old pic as they look diffrent on the rear aswell, and i do belive they have been in use for a while now :wink:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal