AuthorTopic: Spent today fitting  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Spent today fitting
« on: June 20, 2007, 22:31:16 »
These recovery things i got at the land rover show. Any views on whether they are good for recovery?
Cheers
Sam  :)

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
Spent today fitting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 22:38:52 »
i suppose you'll find out soon enough  :lol:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Spent today fitting
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 22:47:23 »
they are better than a kick in the [bauble]  :lol:  :lol:
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
Spent today fitting
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 23:13:40 »
The pic isnt too clear from that distance...they dont look the most substantial I've seen, but a close up may give a better idea... be careful of a 'Theyre better than nowt approach' Ive seen recovery eyes let go before and a chunk of steel flying through the rear window of the recovery vehicle can kill very easily..... lets see a close up and do they have a SWL measurement on them... as recovery (especially a snatch) places huge loads on recovery points...

Cheers Steve

Offline Steven

Attack Member
Spent today fitting
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 00:10:03 »
How and where do they bolt/go on to? tell us more...

Detailed pics please :)

Offline 3laner

Attack Member
Spent today fitting
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:30:27 »
i dont know about other people but i would never trust a snatch recovery on my vehicle
1994 300 tdi Defender-SOLD
2002 TD5 Defender 90 Monte Carlo Blue: IRB stage 2 tuned and intercooled-SOLD
2005 Golf GTi 200- Landyless :(

ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY NEXT 4x4
www.irbdevelopments.com

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
Spent today fitting
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:43:52 »
A snatch recovery is sometimes the only way to free a vehicle as long as you know what you are doing and make absolutely sure your recovery points / chassis are up to it, but if you are not confident in yours/ recovered vehicles condition then quite rightly don't attempt it.
    I personally always check the other vehicles recovery points before attempting any sort of recovery and also have a very substantial reinforced steel dog guard in the 90 to offer extra protection to the driver just in case. The number of times you see people carrying out recoverys of seriously stuck vehicles with kids in the back of the tow vehicle is frightening, it takes seconds to empty your passengers and move them to a safe distance.
   Likewise I recently had to move a large crowd of onlookers well back from a stranded winch recovery, you know what its like a group all stood around the two rovers as one is winched out of a difficult mud hole on a 2 TONNE RATED SNATCH BLOCK !!!!!!!
Do people not think or realise the forces involved in recovery and what can happen to a winch cable when things 'let go'!!!!!
  By far the worst I've personally witnessed though was nothing to do with off roaders, it was someone recovering a motor boat up a crowded beach with a 50 metre winch distance, the recovery point on the boat gave out and the SWR acted like a cheesewire on the owners mate who was 'supervising' the winch out stood half way along the SWR... there was very very little holding what remained of his lower leg onto his thigh and how more people were not injured is amazing.
The moral is , check your recovery points and kit regularly...that mud encrusted strop with the rusty shackles WILL give way when you are least expecting it!!!, use properly tested and rated recovery points fitted correctly with spreader plates, IMHO correctly rated JATE rings up front or a good winch bumper with built in recovery points and a NATO hitch (serviced and looked after!!!) should suffice and if you're not sure what you are doing then get some training or advice off someone who is experienced and safe. Of course all this is only my opinion after 25 years of Off road fun, feel free to ignore it all but remember you, your passenger or kids in the rear next time you are recovering may not get a second chance.

Cheers Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal