AuthorTopic: Had a look round a Freelander 2 today...  (Read 1494 times)

Offline V8MoneyPit

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Had a look round a Freelander 2 today...
« on: June 19, 2007, 17:44:24 »
I happened to be passing the local main dealer, so I dropped in to look around the new Freebie. After a little banter with the salesman, he thrust a brochure and price list in my hand  :shock: OK, not much chance of raising £25k, but I didn't hand it back to him  :lol:

I couldn't bring myself to tell him I'd prefer the '05 110 double cab outside at £21k  :lol:

Anyway, the Freebie looks a nice motor and the terrain response system sounds impressive. Not too sure about the styling of the rear end, but the front has retained some features from the old model.

I think I caught him out a bit when I asked about traction control, break over angle and what are the *smallest* wheels available so AT's could be fitted  :lol:
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 17:48:22 »
I had a drive of one the other day.  I found it very nice to drive actually - quite car-like, very quiet, and the engine was pretty nippy - but take a look at the space in the boot!

Given it's actually about the same width as a Disco III, and not a lot shorter, you seem to get about half the amount of space in the cabin.

My friend (whose car it was) and his dad (who has a Disco III) both said they reckoned the DIII was a much better bet.  A bit more pricey though.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline jimny33

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 18:11:12 »
for the money I would buy a new defender now

Also there is no 3 door freelander 2 that you can take the roof off  :(

Fantastic car though - and very good off road - but I didnt take mine too far (it was only a courtesy car after all) and I didnt want to scratch the paint work!  :roll:  :P
My Land Rover Freelander TD4 creates less emisions than my house mates 1.3 petrol Fiesta and does more miles per gallon!

A Dirty Freelander TD4 - Kaylae

MAD RED DEVIL 003

Offline Steve ray

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 18:54:24 »
We had a new Freelander2 with us on Saturday up Cannock Chase (After all the rain last week) - must say, I was well impressed with how it coped with the terrain.

But LR are asking a lot of brass for a new one these days!
Sponsor us for the 2010 MAC 4x4 UK Challenge (5-7 March) www.justgiving.com/teambofa4x42011

Offline freelanderpx54

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 22:32:42 »
If you are brass necked enough you should be able to blag a complimentary half day at a Landrover Experience centre. I had a 1 hour test drive in one (On road only) and said that I wasn't convinced about its off road ability :shock:

Salesman said no problem, when can you get down to Pale hall in wales to try it out? Great car on and off road but a bit pricey.

LRE Instructor did say that the FL2 would go pretty much anywhere the D3 would

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 11:15:27 »
We have a whole day at LR experience tomorrow, morning is Freelander afternoon the Disco 3!!! They also gave me a reference number for a Defender half day!!!
looking forward to it. We are going to a site in Chesire near Tarporley.

We are serously considering a Freelander 2 or Disco, although I like Defenders too! ( SWMBO says no- and she works too!)

I expect the Disco or freebie wil  be better for comfort.

Whatever we choose will be used most of the time on road and for towing the caravan.

Some gentle off road maybe- but as we will be buying it, it will be for long term ownership not bending!!

Also considering Toyota. Nissan, Mitsubishi or Kia.

We want a reliable tug as we  tow our van to France as well as UK and are considering early retirement and travel!!

Badge loyalty is not the major factor, comfort, value for money and reliability are the major issues!
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

Offline jimny33

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 14:58:41 »
Quote from: "DaveS"

Badge loyalty is not the major factor, comfort, value for money and reliability are the major issues!

If its value for money (i cant believe I am saying this) ut if you are going to a highly speced freebie - go for a lower model Disco3. More space, power, and more talented overal. Cant beat the Freelander2 on road, but off it there is no competition
My Land Rover Freelander TD4 creates less emisions than my house mates 1.3 petrol Fiesta and does more miles per gallon!

A Dirty Freelander TD4 - Kaylae

MAD RED DEVIL 003

Offline DaveS

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:17:59 »
Had a great day, the technology on both vehicles was very impressive (terrain response etc) Awful weather-great for off road !!

Freelander was surprisingly capable off road, very good on the road.
Disco felt very big on narrow country lanes.

It would be a choice between a low spec Disco or a mid range Freebie.

SWMBO likes the Freebie more, as she would drive it most it would probably be the choice.

Sensibly for us it wins on- better on road, lower tax, higher mpg and will easily tow our caravan.

Boot space is not a big issue as we have no kids, so 7 seats not needed either! Plenty of room in the back (for elderly parents!)

We have compared specs aginst the Mitsubishi Outlander and Honda CRV, Freelander wins on bhp and torque plus the best off road ability for occasional fun.
It is also very well put together. Pricey though. (Might go the import route)

But-found a very nice 55 reg mid spec Disco in loacl car supermarket!!!

We are not buying till next year as we want to pay a big chunk off our mortgage this year :lol:
DS
V8 Rangie love it!!SOLD
Kia Sorento XS. (SWMBOs car)
Renault Megane CC(my everyday car)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal