AuthorTopic: Carb Probs...  (Read 954 times)

screwy

Carb Probs...
« on: June 11, 2007, 10:39:04 »
I originally posted most of this in the OLLR forum, so forgive repetition if you frequent that place - I need a wider audience's advice! :lol:

My 2.25 petrol has had some issue with rough running. I have replaced ALL the ignition components (some twice :roll: ) right through from the battery to the plugs, all are correctly set up for the engine and unleaded petrol, all the timings are correct and I am pretty much convinced that the entire ignition system is as good as its going to get!

The running problems I am sure have been carburetter based, Zentih 36IV. Initially these where:

Coughing and spluttering on hard accelleration.

Repeated pushing the accellerator on and off hard would cause backfires.

Stalling / cutting out at idle.

Smell of petrol in carb after cutting out - flooding or over-rich running assumed.

No amount of adjustments helped. I stripped the carb down and de-coked it and rebuilt without replacing anything and got it running better, but still minor versions of all of the above.

I have today stripped down the carb again. I replaced the valves and injectors and pretty much used up a whole rebuild kit. I also replaced the float and set it to 33mm as per book, between top of float and gasket. Now in the book, the pictures show the floats as parallel to the face of the body, but in the real world I found that to do that would mean bending the flat shaft that the floats sit on and I didn't want to do that as it would throw them out of line with each other. I only bent the centre adjusting tab as per instructions to set the height and I took the measurement from the highest (lowest when right way up!) point on the float, again as per instructions. I also replaced the diaphragm as the old one was very worn. I also replaced the pipe from the carb to the dizzy for the advance.

All reassembled ok and refitted. She fired up straight away and the initial problem and reason for the rebuild was cured! No more stuttering and coughing on accelleration, smooth through the range and a higher top end rev! Great stuff.

Took her out for a test run and seems like bags more power and smooth acceleration. Really pleased so far. Filled her up at the garage (to which I am getting the impression she does not like) as she wouldn't start! Again!  

Pumping the accelerator got her going but she struggled to tick over, limped out the forecourt and stalled again. Fired her back up and again away she went, but as soon as you took your foot off the accelerator, revs dropped and she stalled.

I adjust the throttle stop and got her going again. Revving fine, running fine and idling fine for a few minutes maybe less, before faltering and the cutting out. Re-start and/or heavy revving is producing black smoke!  

Any idea what's wrong? It's driving me nuts now. It must be the carb as nothing else has changed on the vehicle and the black smoke is definately new! I am wondering if the float levels are wrong thus starving the carb, but then how do I alter them without distortion?

I have had some suggestions already but would be grateful for any further input before I take it to bits again!

I am beggining to think it maybe easier to just junk this one and buy a new one altogether...... :?:

H E L P

Offline Devon-Rover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Tavistock
  • Referrals: 0
Carb Probs...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:11 »
Hi.

Sounds like it is the dreaded warp. so causing it to not seat right on the O ring and giving the above symptoms.

Some fine grade emery paper, a Flat level and an hour or so rubbing down all the surfaces so to cure the warp might help. Can't garuntee it though. I had one carb which just refused to go right. Ended up just buying a new one and binned the old un.

Re : the float.

Yep as per the book you do bend the center tab. BTW make sure the housing which the needle valve sit's in is fully home on the carb as i have had one undo it self and completly throw the float level out.

The black smoke is definatly a sign showing that the carb is throwing far too much petrol in.

Sorry i can't be much more help.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

screwy

Carb Probs...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 15:48:47 »
Thanks for that. I dont think its the warp as the first time I had this thing to bits I did the 'cure' of flatting it on a glass sheet, etc.

Anyway, today I took the carb off again. I re-seated the O ring in case that was causing problems and for the hell of it, bent the tab on the float level again in the opposite direction. I did not measure, just guessed it. Put it all back together and she started okay but ran rough as feck. No suprise! I left and got on with some other bits.

About an hour later I had to move her, started on the button and now seems to be running fine under load and at idle!!??

I cannot work this motor out! Surely something that doesn't work can't just heal itself in an hour? I will be going out again later for a proper run and we'll see how she runs then.

Offline ian_s

Attack Member
Carb Probs...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:03:27 »
air in the fuel lines?
series 3 - 200tdi
Discovery V8

Offline MisterC

Attack Member
Carb Probs...
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 22:21:13 »
Could be air in fuel line or some debris in the fuel tank.  From your symptoms sounds like the latter, especially as it happened after filling up, which would disturb any loose stuff in the tank.  Fuel starvation can give black smoke has it blows all the soot out the exhaust when stuttering/back firing.  Or if you've got an inline fuel filter, these can block/cause air locks as well.  A guy at work had a simila problem with a 200tdi deisel, he even replaced the diesel fuel pump, eventualy he found a piece of foam in his fuel tank.  This would get sucked over the fuel pickup pipe in the tank.  The engine would die, he'd leave it for while, the peice of foam would drop away from the fuel pickup pipe in the tank, and he'd be on his way.  When/if it happens again (if you're brave enough), disconnect the fuel line and blow down it.  If anything is covering the pickup line in the tank, this should dislodge it.  Obviously to cure it, you'll have to remove whatever's in there somehow.  Or it could be something completely different of course.  Paul
1972 SWB Petrol 2.25 SIII, safari top side windows, Limestone, FWH, 750xR16s, Weber carb, Kenlowe fan, Maplin DIY ignition amplifier and now overdrive.  Coming soon...(cheap) SU carb conversion and (cheap) electronic dizzy conversion (he said hopefully).

screwy

Carb Probs...
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 12:31:36 »
Thank for suggestions. I have took the plunge and ordered a new carb so will see what that does. Will udpate again!

Offline Nick B

Attack Member
Carb Probs...
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 09:58:39 »
Where did you buy the new carb, out of interest.
Series III, 1972 109 6-cylinder petrol.

screwy

Carb Probs...
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 22:17:17 »
Just came today, got it from Landrover Orphanage, linked here!

Landrover Orphanage

Replacement Carb Details

Will fit mine over the weekend hopefully if it stops raining long enough! :roll:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal