AuthorTopic: Daily Star article.  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Andy.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Daily Star article.
« on: December 10, 2004, 20:40:20 »
Whilst reading today's Daily Star this morning I came across this article in the motoring section. If I had a scanner I would put it up but here in the unaltered text.

Off Road? No Chance.

KIA made a study of the sort of people who want to buy 4x4's, and the results prove something we've known for ages.
And, quite simply, it is that four-wheel drive owners have no intention of ever taking their cars off road.
So what do they crave that makes them lash out so much cash on something they'll never use.
First off, it's "big wheels". Why? Because it makes them feel "invincible" with that commanding high-up drive.
Secondly, it's "more space" and why not? They've usually got a big family and need the extra room. After that comes "roof rails" probably for stacking the kids bikes on, followed by "body bumpers" which to my mind means that their pride and joy won't get scratched when they park right across two spaces in the supermarket car park.

Four wheel drive owners, in my experience, tend to be a selfish, arrogant and wealthy bunch who don't give a damn about how or where they park, how much they spend on fuel and couldn't care less about emisions, which means polluting our poor planet twice as much as anyone else.

Last in their list of must-haves comes four-wheel-drive. Why? "Because it's nice to know you've got it if you need it."
Most of them wouldn't know how to engage it, let alone how to drive it.

The article was written by George Fowler of the Daily Star.

I've not really commented much on the 'anti' 4x4 banter going on at the moment but after reading this rubbish I was very angry that this bull **** is allowed to be printed in the national press.
Andy Member # 8

My Webshots  (updated 19.06.05)

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Re: Daily Star article.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 20:59:30 »
Quote from: "Andy."
Whilst reading today's Daily Star this morning I came across this article in the motoring section. If I had a scanner I would put it up but here in the unaltered text.

Why not read a real newspaper instead??
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 21:05:23 »
I know I'm common, no class what so ever, and I prefer the pictures  :lol:
Andy Member # 8

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 21:08:20 »
I know I'm common, no class what so ever, and I prefer the pictures  :lol:

If that was true, you'd be reading 'The Sport' :roll:
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 21:46:51 »
I can't read the Sport(I seem to shake too much) O:)
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2004, 21:49:45 »
It makes you walk funny as well Pete.
Also you start to beleive that there's a double decker bus on the moon.

I've seen a therapist since though.

Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
Daily Star article.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 21:55:42 »
Quote from: "Pete5844"
I can't read the Sport(I seem to shake too much) O:)

I don't read the Sport.... I have a good look at the pictures. :)
Paul Wright

Offline Pete5844

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 21:59:04 »
That makes me shake aswell
Pete

Better Smeg than Dead

Landy Series 111
Pajero 2.5

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 22:26:39 »
If you need two hands to read a newspaper then how do people read the spor  :shock:

No never mind  :?

DM  :)
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Offline Wanderer

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 22:28:46 »
Couldn't tell you DM. I'd have to kill you.

:lol:
Ed
Ed
1993 200tdi Snorkly

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 23:59:57 »
Well this has turned into a "which tabloid newspaper do you read"  thread rather than about the article which was published in one.

Aren't we all the concerned 4x4 lot  :lol:
Andy Member # 8

Offline SteveH

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 00:16:02 »
Would imagine that survey was carried out by kia in their showrooms, and is probably a fair reflection of their customer base, out of order to make that much of a generalisation though, bet if they asked defender buyers the same questions they would get different answers..
Steve

Back with net access again :)

Used to own:
85' RRC 3.5 V8 D968 DFP

My Gallery www.4x4prejudice.org

This isn't an office, it's hell with fluorescent lighting.

Offline Merlin

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 00:47:51 »
If I say i read "The Sun" I presume I will be banned from this Forum forthwith.  As metioned earlier, the pictures are good. :lol:  :lol:
1990 RR Vogue SE 3.9 EFI-Auto

Offline matthew

Attack Member
Re: Daily Star article.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 02:31:42 »

Off Road? No Chance.

KIA made a study of the sort of people who want to buy 4x4's, and the results prove something we've known for ages.
And, quite simply, it is that four-wheel drive owners have no intention of ever taking their cars off road.
So what do they crave that makes them lash out so much cash on something they'll never use.
First off, it's "big wheels". Why? Because it makes them feel "invincible" with that commanding high-up drive.
Secondly, it's "more space" and why not? They've usually got a big family and need the extra room. After that comes "roof rails" probably for stacking the kids bikes on, followed by "body bumpers" which to my mind means that their pride and joy won't get scratched when they park right across two spaces in the supermarket car park.

That bit is probably true for 80 - 90% of 4x4s under 5 years old. Let's face it how many of us could afford to go laning in £20 - £30,000 worth of car?

Four wheel drive owners, in my experience, tend to be a selfish, arrogant and wealthy bunch who don't give a damn about how or where they park, how much they spend on fuel and couldn't care less about emisions, which means polluting our poor planet twice as much as anyone else.

That bit is just stereotyping, you could insert virtually any premier brand (BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, etc). You could even insert "all ramblers are obnoxious" or "all 4x4s only want to tear up the countryside", every group has it's unsocial minority.

Last in their list of must-haves comes four-wheel-drive. Why? "Because it's nice to know you've got it if you need it."
Most of them wouldn't know how to engage it, let alone how to drive it.

Again probably true for a large proportion of newer vehicles.

No I don't use a 4x4 as daily transport, I use a car that will out accelerate, out brake and out manueovre most large 4x4s so hopefully avoiding an accident in the first place. My LR is used for laning and towing, very little else.
Cheers

Matthew
1958 Ser II  88" 1962 Ser IIa 109" 1962 Ser IIa 109" Dormobile
www.buryautoclub.co.uk | www.torquebac.co.uk | www.oldlandrovers.co.uk | www.oldroads.co.uk | http://lancsglass.oldroads.co.uk

Offline Sooty

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 09:58:26 »
Spot on Matthew =D>
Just remember the KIA is a soft roader not an off roader, the average reporter in that type of news paper would not know (or even bother to find out) the difference.
Let them all pontificate about how ALL 4x4 owners are uncareing, selfish, countryside distroyers, that does not make it true any more that the statment "all football supporters are hooligans" anybody with a modicome of common sence knows both those statment are complete rubbish but they sell newpapers and that is the objective in this case.
I have not bought a national newpaper for the last 4 years and I still know what goes on in the world, if all the population did the same they would stop printing the rubbish and out right lies and get back to printing facts.
Sooty gets down off his soap box, gets int his 60 mpg skoda and goes out leaving the three land rovers were they are parked as he does every day he goes to work.
Thats made me feel better ](*,)
Too Much Tarmac
Cheers Bev
http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/sooty/
Discovery V8
Discovery 300tdi
Range Rover V8Efi

Offline Mace

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 11:07:18 »
Don't you think we are getting close to two separate "leagues" of 4x4 owners but we are all tarred with the same brush ?

There are the Chelsea Tractors etc out there that the newspaper article was referring to but there is also enthusiasts who drive similar vehicles, but in a very different way. I think this point has never really been addressed.

Also from an enthusiasts point of view much of the modern machinery will never be used in the manner in which we use the "older" models. We all love our 4x4's because of their simplicity and ease of maintainance, how many Disco 2's are there being used OFF-ROAD, how many £50,000 Range Rovers will be used as we use our 4x4's, how many Volvo thingies, how many Disco 3's, how many Porsche Cayenne pepper thingies will be used in the way we use ours? VERY few indeed. Once the new generation of 4x4's have finished the school running days, they will not be used as Off-Road 4x4's as we have used old Disco1's, Defenders, Jeeps etc.

Land Rover in particular will never gain a new following from drivers of 6 year old Disco 3's wanting to test the ablilities of all that techno gismo stuff around Tixover with the rest of us, can't see it happening. We as a group of enthusiasts are unique and I don't think future generations will feel the same. We really should stand up and make our point as enthusiasts and not as general 4x4 drivers because they are not defending themselves at all. They are the ones the article is aimed at.
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline Andy.

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2004, 12:12:19 »
Very true Mace I totally agree.

Maybe the enthusiasts should all perhaps voice there opinions at the big shows throughout the year and invite the press 'anti groups' along to show them that our 4x4's are more than just a means of transport to us  :?:

It will be 10-12 years before my two lads will be able to drive, what will the 4x4 scene be like then, will there be lanes to drive on, will there be 4x4's off road courses, will there be 4x4's to even drive. I doubt if my 93 Disco will be still going in 10 years time although I try my best.

Also there is a huge after market industry now offering loads of bolt's on from steering guards to lights etc.. will this still be as big in 10 years time  :?:

Times change, hunting is now banned, what will be next  :?:

Drive the lanes, go off-roading make the most of what will still have, it may one day be all gone.
Andy Member # 8

Offline Tiny Tim

Attack Member
Daily Star article.
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 12:14:47 »
I wonder if they bothered to ask both visitors to the showroom ?

Lets face it - they ain't the most popular choice.

And releasing figures like that to the press - they don't deserve to be  :evil:

Now whilst we can disown the 'non enthusiasts', ever heard of divide and rule ? It's what these people thrive on, turning apparently similar sections of the community against each other. Think on that.  :wink:

3.5 Pajero Evolution & heavily modded 2.t TDi JTop mudplugger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal