AuthorTopic: Starter motor.???  (Read 340 times)

Offline suggs

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Starter motor.???
« on: June 06, 2007, 18:03:09 »
have a spot of trouble, got a starting problem. turn the key and just get a click from under the bonnet, then after a few goes it will suddenly start as normal full power dosent seem to be a flat battery issue. seems to start fine when cold but plays up more when warm.

you can turn it over 10 times and nothing, then try one more time and it will start as normal, turn it off and try again and get nothing but the click for a few attempts, then it will start again..

i whent through a lot of water at the weekend and im wondering if the starter is sticking now, as it was fine before then and has only started playing up yesterday

Is taking it off and greesing it up worth doing or just fit a new one as its a pain to get it off on a 300 tdi, dont want to have to do it twice.

cheers
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Wolfie

Starter motor.???
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 18:46:02 »
I get the same problem occasionally. Mines a 200tdi Defender, but it could well be the same.

Basically all it is is a bad connection on the solenoid. A silly spade connector. All I ever have to do it push it back on and all is well for a while.

What I need to do is fit a new connector but it always seems to happen when I don't have my wiring gear with me.

Could be worth looking at as it's easy and cheap.

And yes, it's a pain to get to.

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Starter motor.???
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 19:20:07 »
Could also be crap in the brushes etc from the wading seems a bit too coincidental to be a loose wire.  Having said that mine did it for a while with a shoogly spade from the starter relay so it could still be it.

Go for the connectors first and if its not cured rag it out and give it the cleaning of its life and some new brushes so that it likes you........
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
Starter motor.???
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 07:07:02 »
Could also be a busted or missing earth strap, Mines busted and the starter earth out through the handbrake cable, next time it does it, try pulling the handbrake up tight and see if that makes a difference.

Cure is to fit a strap from one of the starter mounting bolts and somewhere nearby on the chassis.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline landy4x4xfar

Attack Member
Starter motor.???
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 11:39:13 »
i had this problem 3 years back its the spade connector on the starter to the solenoid as wolfe said just needs checking and pushing on tighter job/problem solved   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline suggs

Attack Member
Starter motor.???
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 19:03:13 »
well looks like its it was the earth strap to the chassis, the little spade connection was tight and when i removed it and turned the engine over there was nothing no click etc so new that wasnt it.

i removed the earth strap and this caused the same as yesterday just a click from the solenoid, it was quite rusty where it bolted to the chassis so i gave it all a good clean up and replaced it. fingers crossed that was it..
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal