AuthorTopic: Steering Box adjustment  (Read 337 times)

Offline trec 2

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering Box adjustment
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:17:51 »
Having replaced track rods steering damper etc I still have what can best be described as a wondering Disco.  :?  
Can anyone advise as to method and or expected success of adjusting the box via the locknut/threaded screw located on the top of the box. I dont expect it to be a long term fix but any time gained before having to replace would be an advantage as funds are tight at the moment.
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

Offline Budgie

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • This post is best viewed on a computer.
    • Lochaber
Steering Box adjustment
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 08:42:22 »
There's no trick to it.
Just undo the lock nut and, with the wheels in the ahead position, tighten the screw until you have 1 inch or slightly less freeplay on the rotation of the steering wheel. Don't be tempted to over tighten the screw as this will lead to extra ware in the steering box.
It may also be worth checking the wheelbearings, swivel pin pre-loads and front panhard rod bushes as these will also cause a wondering Disco.  :wink:

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
Steering Box adjustment
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 15:03:20 »
Have you checked the panhard rod bushes, they are great at causing a wander when driving
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Steering Box adjustment
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 23:34:28 »
Once you've adjusted some of the play out, jack the front end up so the wheels are clear of the ground and go from lock to lock slowly to check for tight spots - if you have any, back the adjuster off to get rid of them and tighten the lock-nut.
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal