AuthorTopic: HELP Disco 200tdi into a N/A 90 - A few simple questions....  (Read 459 times)

Offline tjolliffe

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Hi all,
I've currently got a 2.5 N/A Diesel 90 (gutless as <edit>!) and want to do the 200tdi Disco engine conversion (planning to use Disco Rad and oil Cooler). I've pretty much read all the threads on here and elsewhere and seem to be getting some conflicting information that I want to try and get straight in my head before I go any further... Any answers and help towards the following questions would be greatly appreciated...

1. Will I need to change any of the chassis engine mounts in order to get the engine to fit?

2. Will it go easily onto the standard gearbox I currently have (which is in fine working order)?

3. How will the fuel lift pump set-up work, what needs to be done?

4. Going to purchase the Steve Parker turbo down pipe, is this easy enough to fit?

5. Will I need to use the 200tdi PAS pump?

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Offline bigfatsi

Attack Member
    • Stockton on Tees, UK
HELP Disco 200tdi into a N/A 90 - A few simple questions....
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:12:58 »
Hi Mate,

1. No. Assuming the NA mounts are the same as the old TD unit (which I'm fairly certain they are) you can just unbolt the mounts from your existing engine in place of the Tdi ones. Then it just drops in.

2. Yes. You may have to remove a stud and lean the engien slightly but it'll fit no bother.

3. Easily. Feed goes from tank > lift pump > filter > injection pump > injectors. Return goes from Injection pump < tank. There's no return from the bleed-off/injectors to worry about. Either swap the Disco fuel filter or just blank off any unused connections on filter.

4. Doddle. Steve Parker downpipe is nice and easy to fit. Make sure it's tight.

5. Dunno. My 200 came with the pump so I used it. Can't help you on that one, matey. Sorry!

Feel free to PM or ring me if you have any problems.

Simon 07883 086251
1969 Series 2A LWB

"I am standing here, beside myself..."

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:47:52 »
I have done this conversion a few times. This is how I did it the first time:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

I would suggest using the flywheel housing off of your old engine - it fits straight on and saves drilling and tapping threads.

Les.

Offline Eightpot

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 00:23:54 »
yep, all dead easy - if you retain the 200 tdi bell housing you need to tap out some threads as Les said - the holes are already drilled and it's a dead easy job with an M10 tap - probably quicker than swapping the bellhousing.  But DO remember that one of the studs on the tdi housing needs to be REMOVED!
(about 7 o'clock as you look at the flywheel, near the clutch slave)
if you get the 200tdi power steering pump just keep it on.

oil cooler pipes - if you need to extend these just go to Pirtek and get some half inch hydraulic hose and crimped hose clips - carefully hacksaw the old fittings off the tdi pipes and replace the hose.

The Steve Parker downpipes are great and fit superbly - don't forget you should really change the exhaust as the n/a systems have too much back pressure - I found that you can remove the centre silencer, and i got the rear part of a two part n/a front pipe (if that makes sense - they either come as one peice or two peice assemblies) saw off the front flange which then slots in the new downpipe an the other end bolts to the rear pipe - very little back pressure and no increase in noise and costs about £12

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal