AuthorTopic: Steering wheel "clatter"  (Read 5033 times)

Offline Garth

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Steering wheel "clatter"
« on: December 08, 2004, 00:20:42 »
When driving my rangie I have noticed that when going over a bump/pothole in the road at approx 40 mph and over there is a what can only be discribed as a clattering coming through the steering wheel.  I have checked the linkages when stationary and there is no play in the linkages anywhere as far as I can see.  

Can anyone help.

Dave
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Steering wheel "clatter"
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 08:13:50 »
Not uncommon, epsecially on Rangies and Discos for some reason.

You need to go through all the bits at the front end to check for wear / play.   It's quite often a combination of things.

Steering Damper
Swivel Pins / Preloads
Wheel Bearings
Tracking
Tyre Balance
Steering Rod ends
Steering column Uj's

Some people will just throw a new steering damper on to make it stop, which is fine if that's all the problem was, but in many cases is just masking another issue.

If you have a workshop manual, it should tell you how to check all the above.  If not, shout... they are all fairly simple procedures.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Steering wheel "clatter"
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 21:19:30 »
I get that when out on the lanes, it's got better since I fitted a 110 front drag link and 110 steering damper which makes me think its the ballljoints, plus I've checked everything else pretty much.  Even so it does sound like it's coming from directly above my knees, odd that.......
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal