AuthorTopic: failed mot on emissons  (Read 1182 times)

Offline landroverkeith

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
  • Referrals: 0
failed mot on emissons
« on: May 27, 2007, 11:38:19 »
:evil:  lindas freebie failed the mot on emissions as they were wayyyyyyy above the limit. we had a new cat put on few months back surely a new cat shouldnt fail this high?

the garage we used says they need to test the cat/ lambda sensor as its not working they dont have the disc needed or summat. asked us to try landrover for diagnosis (if thats how its spelt) erm noooo luckly a local expert says he has this disc so ill be going over there tuesday after my mot  :roll:

if this new cat is at fault i presume i can return to fitting garage and demand a new one fitted under the warrenty etc??
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline carbore

Attack Member
failed mot on emissons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 20:08:34 »
Hi,

Why did the old cat die, if its not expected then perhaps your engine is kicking out too many nasties that killed the cat (an maybe have again)

Anyway its better to start at the front, with the engine, rather than the cat which is at the end.  I wold look for a sensonr failure, lamda, tps, Idle air controll or even ECU.  IS it a 1.8petrol?

Try taking it to an independant rover dealer as they can run diags on it no problem.

Also make sur the vehicle is serviced, air filter, plugs, oil etc. I ahd a golf tat had a cracked aibox and that maid the engine fail on emissions
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
failed mot on emissons
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:04 »
serviced every year i know thats prob not enough but the car drives like a dream

and according to the guys test machine yes he does suspect a lamda sensor has failed im sure he said it was the 2nd one as the first one moves up and down to suit the "nastys" and the 2nd one should read pretty level as it comes through and out??? lol i dunno

not sure if he was just slagging off other garage but he was pretty adiment that they should have suggested fitting a new sensor with the cat? is the right or just grease monkey bitchness lol
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
failed mot on emissons
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 20:27:20 »
Depends again on how the cat failed..... as a trader it's really dificult with this stuff, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.... if you suggest the car needs a new sensor 10 others will say not to bother, they're just legging you up!

Get the sensor out and clean it, run an injector cleaner through the system stick a tank of Super Unleaded in it and take the car for a damned good thrashing up a dual carriage way.... no a propper hiding not a trot...

bet it passes with the old sensor.

Offline Minotaur

Attack Member
What happened
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 22:04:11 »
Keith

did you get the emissions sorted?
If so what was the diagnosis, and cure?

If not, try contacting the Forte Technical Helpdesk - they deal direct with hundreds of Land Rover Dealers, independents and the manufacturer.
Phil or Dave on the helpdesk are both very technically knowledgeable - they should be able to recommend acure and probably a competent local garage.

Let us know what happens

Chris

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
failed mot on emissons
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 07:08:59 »
No  :evil:  not yet still not had any luck been mucked about really now have had enough of it

we went to original garage and explained the probem, the guys were great and i cannot fault them in anyway, they swopped the cat over and did say no reason why they would fit a new sensor lol anyways back down to test station mot tester wasnt too chuffed as one of the mecanics had booked it in without telling him opps and it was the end of the day so he said what he would do is stick it on the gas machine without loggin on to see how the cat did.
Well it passed the emission test this time   :evil:  but only just on the line  :evil: because of the cockup with the mot booking he wouldnt run it fully and told us to come back in the morning and to make sure the car was hot etc etc.
 Got there in the morning and blow me if yet again it fails on the emission test this time because the throttle has jammed itself open and is reving like a rude word  :evil:

Currently we are both a little miffed at said car and im still trying to get hold of the local guy to book it in for a test....... lol dont seem to answer his phone or messages lol
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
failed mot on emissons
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 07:11:51 »
Quote from: "fudge"
Depends again on how the cat failed..... as a trader it's really dificult with this stuff, your damned if you do and damned if you don't.... if you suggest the car needs a new sensor 10 others will say not to bother, they're just legging you up!

Get the sensor out and clean it, run an injector cleaner through the system stick a tank of Super Unleaded in it and take the car for a damned good thrashing up a dual carriage way.... no a propper hiding not a trot...

bet it passes with the old sensor.

wheres the sensor? whats it look like? how do i clean it?
and as for ragging it up the duel carriage way thats not a problem linda is a test pilot for williams when shes driving  :shock:
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal