AuthorTopic: Classic EAS valve block....HELP PLEASE!!!!!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline DAVE39V8

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Classic EAS valve block....HELP PLEASE!!!!!
« on: May 22, 2007, 13:01:12 »
Can anybody help..  :?:

My air suspension has another fault(after getting it back on the road again).
Its not really been used due to other ongoing repairs so when I started it up it took awhile for the car to raise.The rear went up first then you could hear a "dong" noise and feel some sort of thud(I assume...as if a valve was stuck in the valve block). Then it went up..

I drove it to work Friday night with no probs........until the drive home in the morning..
The front wouldn't raise to the same height as the rear..It stayed at standard height and when I drove it after afew miles the front went on the bump stops while the rear stayed up.. :?  :?

Now...The whole car went to the bump stops and my ECU has another fault..tut! :evil:

I'm happy with the bags and the pump but the only thing I didn't check last time was the valve block....I know I should of looked at it when I had a fault last time.. :oops:

Anyway I've taken off the valve block..
Some of the seals could do with replacing but what about the valves :?:

I dont really know what I'm looking for and how they operate... :!:  :!:

Anyones help would be appreciated as its been more offroad as in on the drive than on road lately..

Cheers
Dave
1994 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8i LPG.
1998 Rover 800 Vitesse Coupe Turbo.

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 22:29:08 »
Hi Dave, I wouldn't have taken off the valve block.  First thing I do is get some water with washing up liquid in it and chuck it over the valve block.  Its a good way to check for leaks and to see if any air is coming from the exhaust silencer, if it is the diaphragm is split inside the block.  

Split diaphragm will cause the air suspension to be very sluggish, it may only pump up one end of the car but eventually it will drop to its bump stops.

The fault light might be caused by the sensors as the car is now on its bump stops.  I found on a P38 that if the motor is driven on its bump stops the sensors at the front bring up a fault code which on the P38 can only be cleared with a diagnostic system.  

Dont know where you are in Essex but if you are up the top theres a guy in Tendring who can have a look at it see www.tlmlandrovers.co.uk

The thud by the way was proberbly a bag blowing a crease out of itself as it filled with air.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Freelander 1.8 Xi - LR Bodykit, Light Guards.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 17:50:15 »
I've a spare valve block and I can tell you how it come apart (easy to do) you can also swap all the O ring seals in the valves whilst you are at it.

What's this diaphram then Peter?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 19:00:37 »
At the bottom of the valve block part of it is held together with 4 screws (hex head), under that theres a rubber diaphragm and a small spring, the diaphragm splits with age and any air in the system slowly vents through the exhaust silencer thinghy.
1996 300TDi Discovery ES - Java Black, Stainless Bullbar, Electric folding mirrors, TD5 Steering Wheel in Beige - Doesn't get muddy !

Offline DAVE39V8

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 19:04:13 »
I'm assuming the diaphram is the small round rubber seal at one end of the valve block with a small spring behind it :?:

RoverRenovations want somewhere near £50 for the diaphram kit.
Seals could do with changing too..

But would that be my problem :?:

Its looking close to being coil sprung :evil:

Oh...your reply got posted before mine Peter :)
1994 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8i LPG.
1998 Rover 800 Vitesse Coupe Turbo.

Offline petergalileo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 19:22:20 »
well if the exhaust valve is continuously leaking air its worth checking the diaphragm.  specially if its leaking air while the compressor is running.

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 01:07:16 »
I'd still rebuild the valve block now it's off.  One step nearer to a new system :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal