AuthorTopic: woman killed by trailer  (Read 1010 times)

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
  • Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
  • Referrals: 0
woman killed by trailer
« on: May 19, 2007, 18:51:31 »
some of you may have seen this story in the papers today about a loose trailer killing a woman pedestrian

http://www.thisisdorset.net/display.var.1410115.0.woman_killed_in_trailer_horror.php

but why is it the head line in the sun says

4x4 Trailer kills mum!

why is it not reported as a trailer that became detached from a car kills mum?

the story seems to be reported as though its the 4x4 fault that the trailer became detached :?
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline smo

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 19:00:32 »
Great, so not only is it badly reported but anyone towing a trailer in the area will not be hassled by the police on every possible occasion!
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 19:16:29 »
I actually know the guy who was towing the trailer, the last thing he needs is bad press...... he will be mortified..... i used to be in the local fire service with him, i can't decide wether to go and see him or not, i want him to know that i'll help if i can do anything for him, but also wouldn't really knwo what to say,........

And besides.... once the trailer had broken free, it wasn't being towed by anything was it...... trust me, this guy is one of the slowest drivers i've ever met.......
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 19:28:36 »
Any ideas on why the trailer became unatached? Surely this would be just one of those nasty genuine accidents that could have happened to anyone?

It said a chap has been arrested on suspision of a road traffic act breach. A breach of what though? Do genine accidents never happen anymore then?
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 19:35:44 »
The local rumour mill reckons that the safety cable was not attached to the vehicle, however, i suspect that that could have even made things worse, i believe he had just turned right out of a junction, and the height of the load pulled the trailer over, and the poor lady was just very unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time....
If you imagine the trailer trying to turn over, i think this is waht may have caused to to pull itself off the tow ball....

I understand he was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving, but i stress, that is not gospel.....
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 19:46:40 »
Oh it was a car trailer then? Fom the photos on the link it looked like a little trailer whilst taking something to the tip.

Must have been a very tall load for the trailer to turn over from just pulling right out of a junction if that is what happend.

I hope the guy involved is ok. I am betting he is pretty shaken up? I hope he does manage to get back behind the wheel one day of his Landy.

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 19:49:54 »
NO, it wasn't a car trailer, it was almost like a sankey, i think he had the tailgate down, with sawn timber stacked in the bed, and higher than the sides, the timber was strapedd down,  but it mat have been slightly too high, hence pulling it over.....

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 22:33:04 »
It's one of those tragic events & she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. 30 seconds earlier, or later, & all she'd have seen was a pile of timber

There was one round here a few years ago when a trailer came off the hook of a tractor & crushed a woman
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 23:07:24 »
The ironic thing is, that the lady that died had premature ageing syndrome...... she was 37, but looked about 80!!

Drift

woman killed by trailer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 23:50:55 »
I know from a very sad experience that the driver of any vehicle involved in causing a fatality will be cautioned even arrested but not necessarily charged a the time of the incident, until the investigation is completed.

My thoughts go out to the family of the woman killed and also the driver and his family.
Ste

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 15:06:47 »
A mate of mine lost a trailer loaded with hay, that luckily was pulled up by the safety chain that he had fitted as opposed to the piece of thin cable that was supplied by the manufacturer.
The cause of it coming off was a worn towball. Its one of things I would never think of checking.
My sympathy goes out to the victim and the driver.

Offline Big Watty

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 16:05:25 »
The thin cable suppliied bythe manufacturer is designed to break - after it has pulled on the brake - the last thing I would have thought anyone need is a trailer attched to the back of the towing vehicle by a lenght of chain - having said that once a trailer becomes detached it's likely that someone may get hurt

My sympathies go out to all involved

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 16:23:19 »
Its actualy the law to have any trailer under 750kg (any un braked trailer) to be connected to the towing vehicle by a chain incase of it coming a drift from towing vehicle. Also the trailer must not be able to drag along the ground by said chain for said trailer.

It is very hard to find a chain where you can safely mount it to towing vehicle and go round corners without it getting tight, yet short enough to stop the hitch dragging along the ground!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 17:08:01 »
Quote from: "Big Watty"
The thin cable suppliied bythe manufacturer is designed to break - after it has pulled on the brake ....

As pointed out above, this is only for braked trailers where it is deemed safer to have the trailer detatched from the vehicle and braking to a stop. Rather than flailing around on the end of a chain out of control.

Whatever way you look at it, this is a terrible tragedy. However, whether it could have been avoided is not for us to talk about. We cannot possibly comment without specific knowledge of the incident. Let's leave that to the police who's job it is to find out what happened.

As for the reference to '4x4'..... well, I am afraid I'm not surprised. This sort of reporting is everywhere. The sooner the media are held accountable for what they say, the better. The thread about the ITV programme is yet another example of poor media presentation.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline zebidee

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 20:08:45 »
Quote from: "V8MoneyPit"
Quote from: "Big Watty"
The thin cable suppliied bythe manufacturer is designed to break - after it has pulled on the brake ....

As pointed out above, this is only for braked trailers where it is deemed safer to have the trailer detatched from the vehicle and braking to a stop. Rather than flailing around on the end of a chain out of control.

That's a pretty scarey thought itself - I'd hate to think what would happen to a horsebox loaded with 2 x 700kg horses coming detached on a motorway at 60mph, the brakes activating and then the emergency cable snapping. :!:  :!:  :!:

I guess you'd know about it pretty quickly and would be doing something sharpish.

Z~
----
Discovery 3 TDV6 XS
Isuzu Trooper 3.0 TD

Offline Cassillis

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 20:48:16 »
Quote from: "Disco-Ron"
The local rumour mill reckons that the safety cable was not attached to the vehicle >snip<

I understand he was arrested for causing death by dangerous driving, but i stress, that is not gospel.....

Suspicion there of is a very likely explanation for his arrest. It is common practise in such circumstances where a death has occurred.

My sympathy to all concerned

The driver is going to need a lot of support. Diso-Ron, if you know him can i suggest you call, just to re assure him that he has a friend. He must be feeling awful, poor guy.
Graeme
Avise~La~Fin

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 22:58:42 »
I was in the Local Fire Service with the driver, i spoke to someone who visited him since the accident, he has been over-run (no pun intended) with support from friends, and even people he doesn't really know, one person just round the corner from him that he'd never spoken to before, actually gave hima big tin of biscuits, cos he said he'd be having lots of visitors...... he was of course correct.....

I have also heard that he was turning out of a side road, he was driving in a straight line, however, there is a large pot-hole very near where the incident occured..... i wonder how the local highways people would feel if they got the blame!!??

Offline welshlaner

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 00:59:30 »
Very tragic accident, my deepest sampathy to all involved

having towed trailers for many years and been involved with trailers cause of my hobbies such as sailing, DIY etc its not the first time i've heard of a tragic death due to trailers becoming detached.

Many accidents are never reported, i've seen or gone out to give assiantance to people who "have lost" trailers.

heres a couple of events i've seen and the causes, firstly, make sure the 50mm and coupleing match, they is still about some old 2inch balls and more dangerous 2 inch coupling, a 2" will fit on a 50mm ball but be loose.

I once saw a bloke use a 2"coupling on a "non road" boat trailer, and watched a £3000 boat flipp off a ball and crash down a slippway, all for the saving of a £15 50mm coupling, plus could have killed any one in the way.

Another problem is the design of a certain coupleing were the bolts are enclosed in a tube on the coupling (bit like rear towbar coupling on landy box section) these bolts rust very quickly (sea water or rain) often within a few years. The bolts snap when under pressure, i've recently serviced a 6 year old trailer and noticed the coupling, took the bolts off (can show pics when camera working) bolts rusted to a very thin core.

Finally the springs which hold down the coupling are prone to rust, often a hole is provided to lock it down, use a lock (save someone nicking it). Some coupling designs are almost fail safe, but the cheaper ones, once a part fails the coupling can come off.

As for the balls, not heard of them fail but have seen whole balls with bolts ripp off mounting plates either not thick enough or not having thick plates behind, ie balls attached to thin front landy bumpers can get ripped off.
Without a club  2008 - any takers

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 13:44:08 »
Hi Welshlaner

A good wee bit of advice it got me checking my bolts. :idea:

I'm in the middle of building a new home made trailer for the old boat.

Iv'e decided to use stainless bolts with lock nuts.

I agree that the break away rope system is safest, big heavy chains can cause more damage when they cause the towing vehicle to be thrown on it's side across the motorway rather than coming to a halt under there own breaking once separated.

I do get anoyed with motorists who drive at the same speed and manner that they would do if driving without a trailer!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Cheers
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
woman killed by trailer
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2007, 18:50:20 »
Quote from: welshlaner
Very tragic accident, my deepest sampathy to all involved

Another problem is the design of a certain coupleing were the bolts are enclosed in a tube on the coupling (bit like rear towbar coupling on landy box section) these bolts rust very quickly (sea water or rain) often within a few years. The bolts snap when under pressure, i've recently serviced a 6 year old trailer and noticed the coupling, took the bolts off (can show pics when camera working) bolts rusted to a very thin core.

Hi There just finished checking the hitch bolts.

If Welshlaner hadn't mentioned it I might not have done.

Could have been rather tradgic if I'd taken the trailer out.

The new one I'm buildings going to have stainless ones fitted.

Cheers H1
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal