AuthorTopic: Is it hard to weld?  (Read 1086 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Is it hard to weld?
« on: May 18, 2007, 13:37:18 »
Hey all,
was wondering how hard it is to learn to weld. Im 16 and havent got the time for college classes but have 11 weeks holiday after my gcses. I was planning on buying welding kit, and a ratty old discovery and trying to learn to weld and make something out of the discovery! How hard is it to actually weld and can you work in a single garage?
Kind Regards
Sam

Offline Dave

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 13:46:41 »
Sticking two bits of metal together is easy but welding proper is a little harder if you can get someone to show you how to go on, set up ect. Then its just a matter of practice.

I have a arc welder and mig i find it easyer to arc weld but you are using thicker metals. The mig is better for a car as the metal is thinner apart from chassis so easyer to blow holes in.
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1993    K333 MUD
 Disco TDI 1994
 90  N/A soon to be TDI 1993
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 20:03:36 »
Anyone got any advice ona kind of welder to get, make etc? And im thinking of using it to join bodywork together on a discovery and parts of the chassis.
Kind Regards Sam

Offline richo

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 20:38:36 »
At your age you should be taking a course at collageto learn it will be worth it my friend
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Edge

Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 20:50:47 »
Dont bother with an arc welder (at all). Yeah theyre cheap @ £50 from halfrauds, but you'd be better off with a mig welder for vehicle work.

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 21:01:56 »
I did a city and guilds welding course at a local college, as i was out of work at teh time it cost 12 quid for a 32 week course 2.5c hours a week, it's worth it just to learn the basics.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 21:56:27 »
Quote from: "90sam"
Anyone got any advice ona kind of welder to get, make etc? And im thinking of using it to join bodywork together on a discovery and parts of the chassis.
Kind Regards Sam

Someone has a clarke 151 for £100 in for sale section would reccomend the machine for general work.

Its all practise  :wink:

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline andyb

Attack Member
    • Tilshead, Wiltshire
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 22:22:42 »
MIG welding is a little like making love to a beautiful woman.....

.....it's about preparation, practise and penetration. :)

Offline Dave

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 22:40:47 »
Quote from: "andyb"

:(biglaugh):  :(biglaugh):  :(biglaugh):
DAVE
MUD-CLUB MEMBER 333

Disco TDI 1998
 Disco TDI 1993    K333 MUD
 Disco TDI 1994
 90  N/A soon to be TDI 1993
 Series 3 1971
 R33 Skyline GTS-T

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 22:48:07 »

I wish  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  8-12 hours a day 5/6 days a week  :(bloodshot):

If in the garage make sure it is well vented, weld fumes are nasty  :shock:

Steve

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 22:51:09 »
Haha! Im not even 16 yet so wouldnt know what it likes making love  :roll:  So maybe i won't be able to weld!!
I'm thinking if the doors open and i do it near the door it'll be alright?I'll have my mechanically minded friend to help so he can learn with me and advise me! I need to now start saving and gathering money! Gcses in the way now though  :roll:

Offline bigedyant

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 22:51:50 »

:)

You're not borrowing my welder, you'll electrocute yourself!!! :shock:
Confucius say ;  Always let diesel man go first in water.

Offline Littledan

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 23:42:42 »
Quote from: "climbingchris"
I did a city and guilds welding course at a local college, as i was out of work at teh time it cost 12 quid for a 32 week course 2.5c hours a week, it's worth it just to learn the basics.

hmm sounds like an idea!!! got a project i want to build in summer but would need to learn to weld and at that price sounds pretty kool!
[size=9]Dan[/size]

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 07:35:27 »
The first thing to think about when you are welding is your own safety :shock: .  At 16 years old you will not have the experience of doing the really stupid things that could have turned into disasters (but have not yet in my case – well not big disasters!).

A few basic safety tips are:
Wear welding gloves and overall where you can.  Make sure the overalls are not going to burst into flames when they get sparks on them.  That usually means using cotton I think (but I am not 100%) but avoid the polyester ones – and make sure that the clothes you are wearing are not covered in oil!

Next one – protect your eyes! :(bloodshot):   You often see people grinding without goggles but I can tell you from experience, when you get something in them it chuffin hurts and ends up with you in casualty for hours!  Also, don’t watch the arc (without a mask that is), not even “just a little bit”.  I arc welded a project when I was at school (so younger than you) and my dad said “don’t look at the arc – always use the mask”.  I did not listen but ended up suffering that night (you don’t feel the effects straight away) and again it is extremely painful – but no trips to casualty as there is nothing they can do!  Thankfully I recovered – and never did it again.

Fires – It is so easy to set things on fire when welding (again talking from experience).  The spatter and sparks can travel a long way AND roll under things you would not expect!  Make sure your surroundings are clean and tidy.  Remove all the oily rags that you will have hanging around and make sure the place has not got flammable dust (if your dad has been doing any wood work etc – sweep all the dust up and remove it.

Remember – the car you are welding will be full of things just waiting to catch fire.  Never weld your fuel tank or anywhere near it.  If you have to go in that area then get some advise off someone with common sense that has done this sort of thing themselves.  Make sure carpets, seats, plastic trims are removed from the area you are welding and also the opposite side of the metal you are working on – if you start welding under you rear wheel arch the carpet on top will burst into flames!  Just take care and always try to have someone with you when you weld.  If you do start a fire the chances are that you won’t notice it because you are looking through your mask (or it is on the other side of what you are welding) 8-[ .  Have fire fighting equipment near to hand but know how to use it and what to use it on.  Also remember that grinding sparks will cause a fire as easily as welding!  ALSO – make sure you keep a clear escape route just in case

As has been said before on this post – watch out for fumes.  When you start heating steel to the temperatures you need for welding, anything on it will burn.  This includes paint, oil, under seal, waxoil etc, but also the coating on the steel.  Never weld galvanised steel without very good ventilation (the kind you are not likely to have).

Sorry to go on like this but I know what its like to be so eager to have a go.  I know safety is the boring bit hat you have to do first but you don’t want to go setting fire to your new pride and joy :-({|=  (and the garage).

For hint, tips and advice you can also try http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/index.php  That site is full of first time welders, experienced welders and guys that know where to get stuff (but still use mud-club as the guys on here are doing the same sort of projects so the advice will suit your specific task!).

Good luck mate

Regards

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2007, 09:05:41 »

you relly shouldnt make me laugh like that... its not good for my bladder :shock:  :shock:
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline rollazuki

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 10:49:22 »
College course, good idea, but.......
For my 20 cents worth Id find someone you know who really can weld(not just someone who says they can) and ask them to teach you.
That way you learn about the hazards/pitfalls, how to do awkward stuff, all the kinda stuff you learn with experience but college books fail to teach.
At the same time, buy a welder(mig please) and practice.
Probably more important than the welder is the GRINDER!
You do need this to prep the steel. As has been mentioned earlier, the bestist welds are the ones that are painstakingly prepared.
So you get the welder/grinder/gear! Go practise. Get odds and sods and weld em together. Lay straight beads onto steel and then cut across the bead and check the penetration. weld stugg up and beat the hell out of it and try to bust the weld open. Do your very best weld, take a GOOD digital picture and post it up here, see what it looks like. Let your welding teacher have a look at it, then you'll know if its a good un.

(if you want a real critique, go on www.pirate4x4.com and post a pic via photobucket or whatever. It'd better be a bloody tidy weld though or you will get flamed big time :twisted: )

Thats my 20 cents worth, but just to recap, cleanliness, prep, and practise. Its actually dead easy to do when you get the hang of it.

Rolla

(good luck)
Go on....cut me in half........it says SUZUKI all the way thru the middle!!

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 15:02:02 »
go on Aldi's web site.
I think its www.aldi-stores.co.uk

This Thursday specials, 130amp gasless turbo cooled mig welder £99

good little starter welder

they also have the gauntlets, full face mask and also the clamps cheap as chips  :wink:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 23:20:41 »
Just my opinion but dont go gas less  :?  
VERY difficult to weld with for a beginner

Buy the best safety equipment you can afford, boots, (spatter will burn through trainers and your feet) overalls, prefer 'proban' (flame retardant) gloves, leather, not too thick for DIY welder as you still need to feel the trigger. If you are planning to do a lot of welding maybe a hood and then the obvious.... a mask I use a 'speedglass' auto  8)

The arc of the welder is like staring at the sun, with a telescope  :twisted:
It burns the top layer off your eyes and as it heals while you sleep it bonds your eye to your eyelids . It feels like someone has thrown red hot sand in your eyes and hurts like hell  :evil:
Also bear in mind that it will burn your skin in the same way, a few hours welding in a t shirt will give you the worst flakey horrible itchy sunburn you ever had  :evil:

But with the proper equipment and some common sense this can alll be avoided.

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 10:59:07 »
Just a few points:-

1. I welding the RH chassis leg of a LR product dont forget the wiring loom runns through it so take care not to melt the insulation.
2 Welding two piecec of steel together is easy but on a vehicle wrapping your self round axels, suspension arms or layed on the floor welding upside down etc can be very awkward and make it difficult.
3. Many LR panels are Aluminium NOT steel, and that requires a completeley different tecnique.

Go for it though.  Stay safe
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"
Langley Farm Booking Secretary - Camping
Yorkshire Land Rover Owners Club
Langley Farm 4x4 Show 7th - 9th September 2007

Offline Highlander1

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 12:59:37 »
Just wait till the first time you get wels splatter down your lug hole  yeeeawch.
Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Offline UKJeeper

Attack Member
Is it hard to weld?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2007, 17:12:45 »
Weldings like chess. 5 minutes to learn, a lifetime to master.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal