AuthorTopic: whats the best way  (Read 847 times)

wrecker

whats the best way
« on: May 17, 2007, 22:30:10 »
to water proof a 1.6 carb fed vit motor,ive done snork and breathers and so on and have had the bonnet under water a few times but still get a very very small amount of water in the air pan that sits on top,it never misses or any thing but can see where  the muddy water has been,tho when you look at the air pan its not coming from snork but some where around the bottom of the pan,is there any lil holes around that is leting it in,ive looked but carnt see any,

thanks for your time guys :D

Offline generation-x

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Mega-Fronty
    • church stretton
  • Referrals: 0
whats the best way
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 22:53:22 »
wreker have you plugged the hole for the hot air feed off the exhaust manifold?

simon

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
whats the best way
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 09:19:12 »
Hehehehe, it took ages to get rabbit more or less water proof :)

Snork and breathers to start, which youve done.

My coil has a rubber, grease filled boot over it that was designed for this, purchased from Eastnor LR show last year for 50p.

All the HT leads are sealed with solicon grease and conformal coating over their length, both can ba had from maplins. Vent from the dizzy needs to come offf, has a silicon rubber hose leading up under the edgoe of the bonnet and into the back of the wing mirror.

Take the air box off, remove the cold start hose and bin it. Remove the vacuum feed to the underside of the air box and plug it at the maifold, then strip off the now unused vacuum line. Turn the air box over and throughly fill the bottom of the connection for the hot air intake, you should be able to easilly get a good, thick bead round where the flap mets the top of the pipe.

Seal round the thermostat for the air flap too, I've had mud/crud sucked in here too, again, lots of silicone bath sealant or remove it and then seal it.

Take the seal from the venturi to the air-box off and the rubber/felt seal round the outside of the air box off and clean and silicone grease both. You should do the same to the rubber seal on the dizzy cap too (yes, there is one if you look close :) )

Finish off, a layer of duct-tape or insulation tape wrapped over the silly card hose to seal it and stop it turning to mush.

It takes one hell of a lot of water to stop the zook now :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

wrecker

whats the best way
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 17:13:21 »
Quote from: generation-x
wreker have you plugged the hole for the hot air feed off the exhaust manifold?

simon

yes mate thanks,was one of the first things i done :D thanks any way mate :D

wrecker

whats the best way
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 17:17:13 »
Take the seal from the venturi to the air-box off and the rubber/felt seal round the outside of the air box off and clean and silicone grease both. You should do the same to the rubber seal on the dizzy cap too (yes, there is one if you look close :) )

thats somthing i havent done :oops: ,im off to do it now mate thanks :D

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
whats the best way
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49:22 »
Took me a while to work out where the crud was comming from untill I found them :)

Have a positive pressure system going on the dizzy and headlamps etc in the next few weeks so will be irrelevent then :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

wrecker

whats the best way
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 21:34:23 »
it will take a lot of water to stop your truck then mate,

i have done what you said and its worked a treat,thanks mate :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal