AuthorTopic: Slush box problem?  (Read 590 times)

Offline JasonW

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Slush box problem?
« on: May 11, 2007, 18:22:58 »
Any ideas as to what the possible problem could be...

The vehicle had an Ashcroft 'box fitted a couple of years ago, which may or may not have a problem developing. The symptoms are a strange vibration between 60-70mph when decelerating and isn't noticeable when accelerating. Its now starting to clunk when coming off and on the power which is a bit worrying.

Someone suggested the UJs need replacing? The vehicle has 1" lifts if that makes any difference. Apart from the problem solving, does anyone know of a good garage in the east Surrey area who are good with RRCs?

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
Slush box problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 19:48:49 »
If it were an Audi, would be the Diff carrier.

I'll get my coat...

At a guess its gonn abe backlash someplace, get unnder it and try and move the props by hand, shouldnt be any movement.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Slush box problem?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 00:35:22 »
Typical of a backlash vibration on a lifted car to be honest, ours did it too.  Under drive the backlash is taken up but on over-run at about that speed the pulsing caused by the unequal UJ angles makes the dronong you are hearing.

You could try new UJs in the front, I also rotated the prop so that the UJs lined up.  On a standard car they are slightly out of alignment becasue of the way they are installed but when you lift the car that all changes.  If the slider will work then try rotating the prop by 1 spline so that the UJs line up, it made a difference on ours.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline JasonW

Attack Member
Slush box problem?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:23:51 »
OK, thanks guys. Presumably, it wouldn't do any harm to replace the UJs anyway? On a similar note, there seems to be an increase in clunking when moving either into gear or when selecting reverse from, say, Drive.

UJs again?

On an unrelated note, is the replacement of the fuel pump (MY 1989) something that could be done by the roadside?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Slush box problem?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:27:39 »
New UJs will not do any harm, the clunk confirms that there is backlash present, question is has it got any worse recently?

Whilst you are underneathe check for excess play in the diff input shaft and the gearbox output, you should have a Borg-Warner on a '89 model so there will be some free play.

If you still have the LT230 then there is a possibility of gearbox output shaft wear but I'm told the output shaft on an Auto can be removed with just the T-Box off.

As for the fuel pump, it's about that time that LR introduced a hole int he boot floor to get to the pump, so check for that before dropping the fule tank, it's heavy so you need to empty it via the drain plug first, and get plenty of WD40 on the bolts the day before you try it.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal