AuthorTopic: What do I need?  (Read 800 times)

Offline zulublue

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What do I need?
« on: May 09, 2007, 16:14:59 »
It sounds like I have broken the CV joint on the off side on my 82 RRC, I now have now drive unless in diff lock, there is a loud crunching and the sound of grinding metal when I am on full lock left hand down, there is also grease coming from around the swivel ball seal. That was fun driving 90 miles back from Clyro the weekend.

Is there a kit I need to buy to replace or is it a case of CV joint and buying bits separately?

Any advise on removal and fitting is welcome, apart from that a good garage in the North Warwickshire area.

Offline edy

Attack Member
What do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 17:09:26 »
im not quite shure what age yours is but all the cv kits are on hear

http://www.paddockspares.com/search.asp

also bit of topic but scene as you live in coleshill and have zulu in your name not a bluenose are you :D
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
What do I need?
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 16:10:15 »
I would think that, assuming it's the CV and nowt else that's bust, you will need to remove the calliper, then the disk/hub.  Remove the stub axle (6 bolts), check that none of the threads are damaged when you do this, I had one strip the thread from the steering knuckle casting so I swapped it.

The stub axle supports the cv joint which should now slide out, along with the halfshaft.

Inspect the CV support bearing (solid bronze) for obvious damage, it should be a snug fit onto the new CV.  There is also a bronze bush on the halfshaft and an oil seal in the back of the swivel, be careful not to damage it with the halfshaft (splines ets) as it involves removing the swivel globe to change it.

If the swivel oil seal (huge) on the back of the steering knuckle is leaking then this is the best time to change it, with the CV and halfshaft already out, unbolt the swivel from the axle (6 or 7 bi-hex14mm bolts, depending on year), take it to a bench and remove the 6 bolts holding the steel cover over the seal.  There are 2 thicknesses of swivel seal, 8mm and 12mm IIRC and I think the 8mm is the later one but I couldn't tell you what year it changed, sorry.

Fill the swivel oil seal with MD grease before reassembly.  As the book often says, by reversing removal procedure.  With the swivel off the car and the seal removed you might also like to check the swivel preload, but if the steering is nice then don't bother.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
What do I need?
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 16:33:07 »
Cheers RRB, just what I needed.

the Steering is rubbish, but the drop arm is loose, so that will be changed anyway, the seal at the back of the Swivel has also just gone so thats being changed also.

CV time it is then, hope the rest is OK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal