AuthorTopic: lockers  (Read 6223 times)

coffee boy

lockers
« on: December 02, 2004, 17:18:14 »
hi thinking about 1, maybe a pair, of detroit no spin lockers. any body used them or got any sugestions ?

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
lockers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 17:26:15 »
Personally, I prefer a locker you have some control over like the ARB.

It's nice to be able to choose when they go in and out... an auto-locking diff can be a nightmare in snow for example.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coffee boy

lockers
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 17:28:14 »
not thought about the snow just looking at cost but only wanna do it once :?

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 17:29:41 »
I know people that run auto-lockers without too much trouble, but I went for an ARB in the back and a Limited Slip in the front.   Does me OK, and it's controlable.

ARB was from Devon 4x4, LSD was from QT services.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

coffee boy

lockers
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 17:32:39 »
cheers will look into prices 2 morrow

Offline davidlandy

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 17:42:27 »
for ARB try ashcroft tranmissions
Dave
Sniff, sniff, this mud smells funny

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
lockers
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 17:56:29 »
Hi,

I have Tru-Tracs in Piglet front and rear - once you get used to them, they are fine. The first 30 seconds though.....<shudder>

<grin>
--
Neil

Offline LOFTY

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 19:29:39 »
IMHO, the best is LSD locker in rear,KAM, and a Truetrac in front. The problem with lockers in front, is you cant steer when locked in very well, if at all.
Not heard of problems in snow with truetracs, but i think we are in for some snow this year, so i will be forced, purely for testing purposes, go for a little drive. :lol:
85% OF ALL LAND ROVERS BUILT, ARE STILL ON THE ROAD,
THE OTHER 15% MADE IT HOME ;)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 22:41:10 »
Lofty,

The problem I've found with auto-locking diffs on the rear (in a similar vain to the front) is that if they lock up, it makes steering a little interesting... since it just wants to go straight on.  Hence my preference for something with a positive action in the rear.   I find the LSD in the front (no full locking) works well as a compromise on and off road, and doesn't hurt the steering much.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

coffee boy

lockers
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 07:35:24 »
cheers for the input guys givern me some nice options to give santa :)

Offline LOFTY

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 18:40:53 »
Ah, i believe muddy and i are talking at cross perposes, i am talking about a truetrac diff, which is a torque biased diff, which balances drive automatically through worm gears, rather than a auto locking diff, which is also made under the Detroit name, which i believe you should never put in the front axle.
The truetracs are the same as a quaife design diff used in rally cars, this helps traction, and removes a lot of the torque steering in front wheel drive rally cars.
Another thing which Ashcroft dont normally tell you untill you buy a truetrac, is you must have a metric diff housing, and you also need a spacer for the crown wheel, oh and what spline type on your half shafts.
I love them to bits, you know you got max traction, and can still steer full lock. :P
85% OF ALL LAND ROVERS BUILT, ARE STILL ON THE ROAD,
THE OTHER 15% MADE IT HOME ;)

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
lockers
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 18:47:49 »
:-)

You might be right Lofty..

To clear things up....    I run a TruTrac torque biasing diff in the front which provides a pretty good limited slip action... and an ARB air operated full locker in the rear.  

<phew>
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal