AuthorTopic: Handbrake Light  (Read 645 times)

Offline MonsterLandrover

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Handbrake Light
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:32 »
just bought a 93 classic and. its a 3.9efi with a zf auto box and when i put the handbrake on, the gearbow warning light comes on and sometimes the handbrake light as well.

any suggestions as to what could be the problem?

not really a problem more of anannoyance as everything else works fine!

Offline Dr Strangeglove

Attack Member
Handbrake Light
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:25:00 »
I have a 3.9 Efi (1991) which has the same problem.  I bought it as spares or repairs from ebay and when I was driving it home found a water leek (but that’s another story).  When trying to sort the water leak noticed the auto box light on.  I called a mate of mine (an ex ford mechanic that used to do auto boxes) and he told me to drive it slowly check all the gears etc.  I still had 45 miles to go and was sh****g myself wondering if I would get home.  It still comes on so I will watch this thread in anticipation - if you figure out what to do please let me know!!

Regards

Mick
Too many sins, not enough temptation!
Too many armpits, not enough deodorant!
Forget maths, forget geometry
You cause explosions by being good at Chemistry
Too many mountains, not enough volcanoes!
Too many lawyers, not enough justice!!!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Handbrake Light
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 20:57:20 »
You need the owner's manual but IIRC the handbrake light (earths through a switch on the handbrake) also triggers another light as a bilb check :?

Might be barking up the wrong tree though :roll:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
Handbrake Light
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 20:46:54 »
Arr now I ad this on my 93 auto - intermittent 'gearbox temp' warning. There's two sensors, one is down in front left engine bay in the autobox cooler line.

The other is stuck in the back of the transfer case, right behind the handbrake drum backplate. It's protected by a girt big rubber boot, with the wires coming out the back. Sadly the boot is so big it presses the wires against the brake backplate. Twenty years of vibration had worn the wire's PVC covering away giving an intermittent short. Handbrake on/off flexed the plate and made it come and go.

Impossible to get at without dismantling brake. One day ....   Meantime cut a sheet of plastic material and wedge up between wires and backplate. It's been there three years so far ...

cheers, Ross K
GLASS

Offline MonsterLandrover

Attack Member
Handbrake Light
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 22:20:22 »
nice one guys. i have to replace the rear diff case tomorrow so i will have a look.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal