AuthorTopic: fitting new clutch - any tips  (Read 572 times)

anaxemurderer

fitting new clutch - any tips
« on: May 07, 2007, 19:31:08 »
Decided i'm going to take the plunge and fit new clutch to my 200tdi 90 myself. I take it the easiest way is to remove the gearbox as aposed to engine.

Anyone got any tips on the procedure? haynes book of lies describes using an engine hoist but i've heard it can be done with a trolley jack?

My transmission has a certain amount of slack in it, is it worth dooing something with the gearbox while its out. I've heard of a layshaft replacement that can help with slack but not sure what exactly (but i' don't mean the replacement mainshaft with crossdrill mod).

I'm not in a hurry to get it finished but i obviously don't want it to take for ever. And i only have weekends and a drive to do it in!

Cheers

Nick

ps wheres a good place for clutch and gearbox bits?

Offline Les Henson

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
  • Referrals: 0
fitting new clutch - any tips
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 21:21:07 »
This is a 300TDi clutch fork change. There are slight differences, but they will become apparent as you work. With the gearbox slid back, you can proceed further to replace the clutch. It's wise to replace the fork as they have a bad habit of wearing though as you see in the thread. If you don't know the age of the slave cylinder, then replace it too (genuine ones are only £20-odd)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=5010

Les.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal