AuthorTopic: 101 purchase advice  (Read 1021 times)

Offline CNorman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
101 purchase advice
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:09:19 »
Dear all.

I bought a 1994 disco with the intention off off roading it however have not really done so.

I am after a 101 and have always fancied one. I would love in an ideal world to swap it with my disco but am unsure of prices and other information.

Any hep would be gratefully recived.

Chris

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
101 purchase advice
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 11:10:14 »
OK.  Start by going to the 101 Owner's Club.  There are vehicles for sale on the website and you can get an idea of prices.  Joining the club is essential if you get a 101 because some spares are only available through the club.  Plus it's a very supportive community.  Even if you're thinking about getting on it's probably worth joining as the magazine is excellent.

Secondly, join the 101 Yahoo Group.  It's separate from the club but there are a lot of members in common.  You'll get plenty of help and advice if you need it and there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on there.  Search the archive for buying tips.

Then go along to a show and have a chat to the people on the 101 stand.  They will happily talk to you for hours and will tell you anything you need to know!

If you want to know anything specific, I'll try to help.  You can get a decent 101 for £3-4K.  Occasionally bargains surface - I was offered a reasonable one with a dicky engine for £800 a couple of years ago.  You may want to try before you buy, as they're fairly unusual vehicles and not to everybody's taste.  Nick Kay is the biggest "dealer" although if you see the other toys he has a 101 might suddenly seem a bit dull.

By the way, they're VERY capable off-road;  if you get an ambi the size can be restrictive but apart from that they'll go almost anywhere (if the driver is up to it :oops: ), more so if you don't run bar grips.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline Lucy1978

Attack Member
101 purchase advice
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 22:05:51 »
They're Heinously thirsty beasts, but great fun to drive.  Very capable, but size can be restrictive.

It all depends what you're wanting to use it for.

www.themorgans.info/expedition/index.php

Chris

Offline tomarse

Attack Member
101 purchase advice
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 14:42:31 »
Thanks guys, youve done my job for me :lol:

Quote from: "thermidorthelobster"

If you want to know anything specific, I'll try to help.  You can get a decent 101 for £3-4K.  Occasionally bargains surface - I was offered a reasonable one with a dicky engine for £800 a couple of years ago.

There are a couple of gooduns forsale through the club at the moment!

http://www.101club.org/smallads/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal