AuthorTopic: Why oh why!  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Why oh why!
« on: May 03, 2007, 18:17:45 »
Just watching the news, a young lad has been asked not to go back to school because his hairstyle doesnt conform with their standards!

What is happening in this world if a child is asked not to go to school because of a haircut, what happened to individuality and all that????

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Steven

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 18:25:26 »
My school doesnt (and soon to be 'didnt', as i'm in me last year :P ) like hairstyles unless its in the codes of the collage.

Sad.  :?

Offline deepender

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 20:04:47 »
This has been going on for years, going back to teddy boys, skinheads etc., etc.

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 21:21:15 »
Quote from: "deepender"
This has been going on for years, going back to teddy boys, skinheads etc., etc.

Its the same thing at schools now except they are called "Grebos" and the like. It can lead to large groups (50+) of one 'clan' charging around the school chasing down another 'clan' flattening anything that gets in the way. If you have ever tried to stop 50+ teenagers charging around hyped up on adrenalin and sugar you would understand why obvious signs of 'gang membership' are suppressed (I'll give you a clue.... its effing scary).
"A wise man has something to say a fool has to say something"
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.
200TDi 90  "Daisy" A.K.A. "Baby"
3.5L V8 110 "Sally". The camper van with an attitude problem.

LABOUR
Lying Arrogant Blair Oppressors of UK Rights

Offline strapping young lad

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 21:30:17 »
a kid who worked with us last summer had an "emo" haircut inc pink highlights and he went back to school with it.

they dont complain as such i guess, he is very intelligent so i guess they go easy on him.

however when i was in school

hair above collar
certain colour shirts only
blazer (all seasons worn)
trousers
certain coloured socks
black or brown shoes

and the lasses
below knee skirts
etc

but no leeway

saw a schoolgirl this morning with a skirt so short i could read the brand of knickers she wore...!

and she wore high heels, plus makeup!  :shock:

Offline DiscoveRay

Attack Member
Uniforms
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 21:38:36 »
Jackie just told me that when she was at school, the girls weren't allowed to wear patent leather shoes in case the boys could see up their skirts :lol:

She wasn't kidding either.

Ray
DiscoverRay

'Lottie' 03 Discovery TD5 Auto
Deformist est, sed te illuc fert
'Josie' 05 Jeep Cherokee
Honda Hornet

Offline martha focker

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 22:20:50 »
my school is quite relaxed, i went in a mowahork (spelling lol), but i did get told off for writting in the back of me head :D  but as i left last year i don't care hahahahahaha :lol:

schools are going mad though, pupils are all the bloody same these days :twisted:
don't worry i'm here

www.gotmud.co.uk

www.rib.net

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 22:59:14 »
schools are going mad though, pupils are all the bloody same these days

My life would be a LOT easier if they were
"Think of it as evolution in action" and yes, I do know that I can't spell thank you.

LABOUR

Offline HSimmo

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 23:30:25 »
My soon to be ex school, Warwick are strict. Hair shouldn't touch the collar, cover the eyes or be anything other than a natural colour.

If its too long they'll nag you to get it cut, if you take the <edit> and dye it pink or something they'll send you home.

Offline Bulli

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 08:26:40 »
you do wonder what the world is coming to. I went to one of the best schools in the area. It was a while ago but they had no problem with Hair style or colour. i had long(mid back) hair and often went in in surf shorts and anthrax t shirts when in the 6th form.
They had a sensible dress code below that age...but i guess the whole world is going to hell in a handcart!
EFILNIKCUFECIN
Disco V8 3 dr - THROW ME A FRICKIN' BONE HERE.
3 link, lockers and 35's- NUFF said

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 11:03:12 »
Quote from: "strapping young lad"

however when i was in school

hair above collar
certain colour shirts only
blazer (all seasons worn)
trousers
certain coloured socks
black or brown shoes

and the lasses
below knee skirts
etc

but no leeway

saw a schoolgirl this morning with a skirt so short i could read the brand of knickers she wore...!

, plus makeup!  :shock:

Exactly the same when I was at school too (left 10years ago) except blazer was a thick wooly jumper to be worn to and from school and only taken off with permission from a teacher (except when at home :wink: )

We also had girls walking about with short skirts on and make up. they were always being asked to lower them and sent to the loos to wash it off. as soon as the teacher went the skirt went back up again though. Being a fellow student I didnt mind :lol:

As to the hair styles. I blame David Beckham.
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Why oh why!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 11:27:51 »
It could just be that the schools are trying to re-instil a form of discipline and pride in the school. I was always told that uniform was there to try to get rid of the problem of envy and rivalry over kids turning up with better 'designer' brands than others.
The problem is that if any mention is made of lack of respect and discipline in school and on the street etc etc, and how it should be rectified, it is very easy to become labelled as a 'fascist', 'someone who lives in the past' or an 'infringer of civil and human rights'. It is also a very trendy thing for the politicians to harp on about in an attempt to gain more votes.
Being in an organisation that deals regularly with those who are rude, obnoxious, foul mouthed, intolerant, I have some ideas of how it could be dealt with.
However,this forum is not the place for them, and I would not want to be labelled with the three examples above.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 12:37:12 »
Quote from: "Lord Shagg-Pyle"

However,this forum is not the place for them, and I would not want to be labelled with the three examples above.

Really ?

Crunk ...

<puts>
--

Offline Bob696

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 14:08:24 »
Being in an organisation that deals regularly with those who are rude, obnoxious, foul mouthed, intolerant, I have some ideas of how it could be dealt with.

You are a teacher, copper or an A&E worker then  :lol:

LABOUR

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 15:05:46 »
I reckon he's a Copper.  :wink:  The choice of words are very Copper like I think.  :lol:

Offline richo

Attack Member
Why oh why!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 18:27:38 »
My mate at junoir school used to have his hair shaved off[not his choice] and they used to send him home until it had grown back a bit and that was 25 years ago
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline Lord Shagg-Pyle

Attack Member
  • "Where we're going, we don't need roads!"
Why oh why!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 19:49:15 »
Quote from: "Bob696"

You are a teacher, copper or an A&E worker then  :lol:

Is it that obvious?
I wouldn't have the patience to be a teacher or an A&E worker. I'm sure you can work it out.
I did once put an idea into the suggestion box at work; the idea being to mount twin .50 calibre machine guns in the door of a Public Order van. I then had a visit from the 'Professional Standards' department as to why I had put the idea forward. My response was that it would act not only as a deterant, but also stop re-offending.
They suggested I speak to someone of a medical qualification. My local vet couldn't offer any advice, unless I could bleat, mew or bark. Funny that.

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
Why oh why!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 10:36:31 »
having finished 6th form last summer....

my school had a ruling for uniform that the boys wore white shirts, black trousers and a black jacket (only HAD to be worn for assembly/school events etc), black shoes and school tie.
girls white shirt/blouse, black skirt / trousers and black shoes and school tie.
there was also a sentence in the rules about wearing clothing that conformed to the rules, but wasn't in the spirit of 'uniform'
they were fairly liberal about hair, though they did get fussy about 'bright unnatural colour dyed'

loads of people didn't quite keep to the rules but more so from looking untidy than in complete breach.
shirts not tucked in (some teachers would tell you to tuck it in, some wouldnt bother), skirts too high (not like us male students were complaining
 :twisted: ), trainers after playing football at lunch etc
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal