AuthorTopic: Defender 90 (Td%) Fuel Pump & ECU  (Read 477 times)

Offline defendermad

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender 90 (Td%) Fuel Pump & ECU
« on: May 02, 2007, 15:34:11 »
Hi,
Just in need of some advice. My Defender recently cut out while driving and the LR dealer fitted a new fuel pump (apparently in the fuel tank). However 50 miles later, the engine cut out again, just like the first time. When returned to the garage, 2 more pumps were fitted ( I didn't have to pay for these), both of which failed to work, when tested by the garage. After some weeks and further diagnosis, the garage informed me that an engine module (ECU) needed to be fitted. This was replaced and programmed. It is now working fine but I wonder if the fuel pump really needed replacing in the first place, and was it this module that was really in need of replacing. Although I wonder would I have been able to travel that 50 miles after the 1st pump was fitted if the ECU was in need of repair. A fuel test indicated that there was no contamination in the fuel. This cost me a lot of money. Would appreciate any advice. :?:

Offline Jimbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Defender 90 (Td%) Fuel Pump & ECU
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 15:46:08 »
The Td5 fuel pumps are a dual-pressure thing - there's a low pressure pump, and all contained in the same in-tank unit, a high pressure pump. The whole unit gets replaced regardless of which bit of it has failed.

The high pressure side failed on my Td5 Disco auto a few months back, and although the car would drive, there was not enough engine power to get enough speed up for the box to change out of 1st gear !.......but the thing still idled fine.

Did your Defender die and stay dead - or could you restart it, albeit with limited power ? - if so, this would indicate that the high pressure side of the pump was stuffed. If the thing didn't want to start at all - then it may have been the pump, or I guess possibly the ECU.

As for being able to drive 50 miles with a new pump, and for it to then conk out again with identical symptoms.........I'd be asking if the original pump was ever at fault !
Jim

TDV6 HSE D3
Defender 110 Td5 Hard top, BFG MT's, and no EGR either

http://www.hertfordshire4x4response.net

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal