AuthorTopic: Steering Guard  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Whitelandyman90

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Deepest darkest west of Ireland
  • Referrals: 0
Steering Guard
« on: November 30, 2004, 21:45:36 »
Thinking of replacing the scaffold pole type guard under my 90 with one of them posh ally jobs from Rebel with built in recovery eyes. Does anyone have one? Are they up to a winch recovery out of sticky stuff or just a bit of a gimic?

Just wanted to know before I spend the money I had put aside for her chrissie pressie  :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it ain't dirty, do something about it!!

Yeah, I know it's not white and it's not a 90 but my last one was :-)

Offline Xtremeteam

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Its just the way i roll
    • lampeter, west wales
Steering Guard
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 22:17:39 »
dunno how strong the 1's with towing eyes are but the ally 1's are ok,depending on the terrain u usually drive on/over/through.up here its either soft mud & peat or big rocks,the 1's with holes are good for washin mud out o but they do tend to dig in when being recovered backwards out o a peat bog,the smooth1's like soothdown are good but u can hit somethin & it slides over it,i personnaly like the smooth 1's for recriational off roadin & the ally holey 1's for competition due 2 ease of cleaning & checking steering components.
Mike
I can Drive.. You can criticize..
I too can criticize like you.. but can you Drive like me??

Offline RRC

Attack Member
Steering Guard
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 22:56:11 »
The smooth ones do help to create a better bow wave for wading (so i've been told).

I'm in the middle of designing one to be made and it's going to be mild steel, purely for cost.
Used to own a Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 1990

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
Re: Steering Guard
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 08:44:36 »
Quote from: "Whitelandyman90"
posh ally jobs from Rebel with built in recovery eyes. Does anyone have one? Are they up to a winch recovery out of sticky stuff or just a bit of a gimic?

Nothing against Ally steering guards, but the ones from a certain company that I've seen are like tinfoil, you can dent them with a swift kick let alone a rock.   As for recovery points attached, there's no real reason why it would be any better, or any worse than anything else.  Take a looksie at how it's attached to the chassis and make your judgement from that...   if it's two half inch bolts and a tie-wrap... probably not a good idea to tow off it.
--

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
Steering Guard
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 08:55:05 »
Mine came from Servicetune (That's what Rebel 4x4 used to be called ;-) )

I've never had any trouble with it... it's bounced off Scotland's finest granite, been hung up on Somerset's nastiest tree stumps and slid over Wales' finest bogs :-)

As to the recovery points, my view is that they are perfectly fine for recovery forwards, but are a little weak (due to the length from the chassis fixing point) for lateral recovery.

Mine is coming off soon and being replaced with the new guard from Devon 4x4 to match my bumper, but that's the only reason.

I don't think I'd have one of the lower cost steel guards from Rebel as they do seem a little fragile.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kenny

Attack Member
Steering Guard
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 09:39:38 »
I have a Rebel 4x4 (used to be Service Tune) guard and the only thing it really protects is the front track rod and damper. Been through three track rods already, even a reinforced one.

Attached is a picture. You can see some of the scratches and damage. As to strength seems fine to me, never had a problem.

A friend has one of those guards that protects the entire steering incl. rear track rod which seems fine and does not lose much ground clearence. I may well go for one of these next.

Tim Arnold has opted not to have one at all which also makes some sense on his Discovery.

Damian
Animal, ex BT Land Rover ninety
http://www.my90.co.uk

Too many bits too list..........

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal