AuthorTopic: Engine conversions!  (Read 556 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine conversions!
« on: April 29, 2007, 16:38:12 »
well i've been toying with the idea of swapping engines.
i've got an 11 week holiday after my gcses and was plotting an engine conversion. I've got a friend to help me whos changed an engine before so we have a bit fo knowledge!
Now im thinking of gettting a discovery 200tdi as they are resonably cheap, then a steve parker exasut downpipe. I have seen an intercooler pipe kit  on ebay for £90 so will probably get that as well. Is that all i need to get, or are there any other hard parts that would need boding together? or is it a failry straight swap apart from these bits?
Kind Regards
Sam

Offline Les Henson

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
  • Referrals: 0
Engine conversions!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 18:10:49 »
You will have to alter the radiator panel/chassis mounts for the rad/interccoler to fit (you need it to be 28mm lower). Also cut the side lugs off the rad panel. Use the Disco header tank - I used the TD one and had to make one lower rad hose out of the two. Wiring is the same, although the ends will be different where they connect to the back of the alternator - just shorten it and fit 1x8mm eye, and 1x5mm eye to the ends. The pressure pipe from the PAS pump to the steering box was too short, and I had one made up, although I think someone posted a way round this problem. Temp sender, oil sender, fuel cut-off switch, and glow plug wires will all just plug straight in. You can either fit the Disco glow plug relay, or use the same method as you did for the TD engine. Clutch assembly is the same. You can either drill and tap the disco flywheel housing to fit your gearbox, or swap the flywheel housing off the TD engine - it'll bolt straight on. Use the TD engine mounts - passenger side has 4x holes (make sure you use the right ones) Apart from the pipework, which is a bit of a swine - especially where it connects to the cold side of the turbo, that's about it. Might be worth replacing the following while you have the Disco engine out:-
Timing belt kit.
Timing cover dust seal.
Crankshaft front seal.
Camshaft oil seal.
Crankshaft rear seal.
Clutch slave cylinder and flexi pipe.
Oil & filter.
Fuel filter.
Consider also replacing the clutch and a reinforced clutch fork.
This all sounds a lot, and may set you back about £200 for parts, but these jobs are considerably more difficult to do once the engine is fitted.

Les.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal