AuthorTopic: Where there's smoke.......  (Read 571 times)

Offline Mr Garfield

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Where there's smoke.......
« on: April 23, 2007, 18:59:36 »
Hi folks

I always feel a fool posting on here - so much I don't know!!!

I have just had an su carb fitted to my SJ to solve hideous idling issues.  However, the guy that fitted it told me the needle is larger than normal, but to run the car for a while to see how it goes.  The idling speed still won't go below 1200 rpm which is a bit quick.  He has offered to change the needle with a 'proper' one (he has to order it).  Is this likely to allow better adjustment to the idling speed?

The car also appears very smokey - it borders on unpleasant to drive.  I was told on a service the car burns a little oil, would this be made worse by the su carb?  The carb also has an annoying high pitched whistle (usually when the revs are dropping), could this be a needle issue too?

If it's burning oil, where might the problem be?  Do I need to get valve stem oil seals and rings changed, or might it be something else?  

Sorry for so many questions, but my 'bargain zook' is running the risk of becoming a money pit!!  Assuming the correct needle fixes the carb, anyone want to have a stab at a price for fixing the oil burning issues?

Again, sorry for so many questions, beginning to wish I'd brought something else  :(  I should add that, although smokey, the engine pulls like a train!
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

Offline Whatmot

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
  • Referrals: 0
Where there's smoke.......
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 21:15:03 »
i would think that changing the needle would sort out the overreving, after all,  one reason the original carbs are rubbish is because the auto choke runs the engine to rich, but i could be wrong.

as for burning oil, all cars burn a little oil, it depends how you define 'a little'. what colour smoke is it? i wouldnt think that thats down to the carb, like you said i would check the piston rings for wear. you can always have a look at the condtion of the oil, because if oil is getting into the petrol then petrol will be getting into the oil. i think you will get some kind of residue on the oil filler cap and dipstick (but dont ask me what it looks like, im only going on what ive been told and learn off other people). it might be worth changing your oil and filter and see if theres a difference after.

anyway, see what other people say, im border line 'novice' when it comes to cars :wink:
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal