AuthorTopic: 200 into 90  (Read 2225 times)

Offline way2deep

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 into 90
« on: April 22, 2007, 23:34:29 »
i want to put my 200 tdi disco engine into my  90,what parts will i need to use from disco and 90 to have the right set up???? thanks
robbie
200 tdi rangie  1989  4dr

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
200 into 90
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 23:39:25 »
depends on what kind a job u want at the end
i binned most parts and made my own set up
disco engine (kept origional downpipe)
disco box
moved engine forwards
moved rad backwards and fitted full width cooler

i didnt have room to fit a proper airfilter box
no problems tho, K&N filter ontop of snorkel top sorts that issue out  :wink:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
200 into 90
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 07:50:13 »
Putting a disco 200TDi engine in a 90:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2394

Les.

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 15:07:15 »
Guess what I've just finished doing?
He seems to have done some of the stuff a very complicated way.

He's how I did it (No pics I'm afraid)
I started with a Turbo D 90 and a crash damaged Discovery.

Use Turbo D engine mounts
    DONT undo the fly wheel, just get an 8.5 mm drill and a 10mmX1.5mm tap.  remove the bell housing from the 90/110 and compare the hole patter between TDi & bell turbo D bell housing.  there were 4 differences on mine.  The holes are already there, but need drilling to 8.5mm.  Then tap a thread in.  Taps are easily avaialble from good tool shops
    Get the exhaust conversion from Steve Parker.  I'm told you can use the exhaust manifold from the Turbo D, but then you have all sorts of other issues to solve.  It's expensive, but worth it.
    I used old air filter and cut the pipe to the turbo and joined this to the Disco pipe which was connected to the turbo.  I used 2" Stainles pipe from an exhaust manufacturer to join the two + the very end of the Disco plastic bit.
    The bottom intercooler pipes are made up of the Disco 90 Deg flexi hose to the 90 Deg end of the metal tube + the straight flexi bit + Stainless pipe + turbo D turbo to inlet pipe
    The top intercooler pipe is the flexi from the Disco extended by using the stainless tube.
    I swapped the steering box,pump etc.  I had to move the PAS reservoir to the other side see a hydraulic companyfor extending the pipe.
    Fuel pipes have been cut and extended to reach bulkhead.  I used the Disco screw on filter instead of the silly old fashioned take it apart one.  I think standard Defender pipes should fit.
    I re routed the feed pipe from the tank so that a 90 Deg bend was fine
    Heater pipes are a combo of Disco + 6 inch of normal copper plumbing pipe.
    I got a new Defender top hose for radiator and merged the old Torbo D bottom hose with the Disco as water pumps are completley different. I used standard kitchen waste pipe to join the two (reliability issue?)
    I fitted new clutch kit & pivot arm
    I used the old radiator reservoir.
    I swapped the oil filter housing from the Turbo D.
    I used the Disco rad & intercooler.
    I modified the radiator housing to chop the bracket of the bottom rather than modify the chassis
    I cut off the side mounting and welded the pin onto the top of the rad housing.

I did this all out side.  It was easy, but challenging to find solutions to the pipe issues  The main prob I can see is what to do with the air filter.  I have a snorkle that runs along the wingtop and enters by the front left as it was a 2.5NA originally (a long time ago) so I wanted to keep this.

Good luck any questions drop me a PM
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"
Langley Farm Booking Secretary - Camping
Yorkshire Land Rover Owners Club
Langley Farm 4x4 Show 7th - 9th September 2007

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 18:16:49 »
I have done this and just drilled and tapped the the back plate and made some new studs.  i extended the hoses with stainless steam pipe and used exhaust pipe bends for the air pipework. i also upgraded the header tank at the same time as i wanted to acheive a good looking engine bay.

if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline white90

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 22:41:53 »
Quote from: "muckmoses"
Guess what I've just finished doing?
He seems to have done some of the stuff a very complicated way.

He's how I did it (No pics I'm afraid)
I started with a Turbo D 90 and a crash damaged Discovery.

Use Turbo D engine mounts
    DONT undo the fly wheel, just get an 8.5 mm drill and a 10mmX1.5mm tap.  remove the bell housing from the 90/110 and compare the hole patter between TDi & bell turbo D bell housing.  there were 4 differences on mine.  The holes are already there, but need drilling to 8.5mm.  Then tap a thread in.  Taps are easily avaialble from good tool shops
    Get the exhaust conversion from Steve Parker.  I'm told you can use the exhaust manifold from the Turbo D, but then you have all sorts of other issues to solve.  It's expensive, but worth it.
    I used old air filter and cut the pipe to the turbo and joined this to the Disco pipe which was connected to the turbo.  I used 2" Stainles pipe from an exhaust manufacturer to join the two + the very end of the Disco plastic bit.
    The bottom intercooler pipes are made up of the Disco 90 Deg flexi hose to the 90 Deg end of the metal tube + the straight flexi bit + Stainless pipe + turbo D turbo to inlet pipe
    The top intercooler pipe is the flexi from the Disco extended by using the stainless tube.
    I swapped the steering box,pump etc.  I had to move the PAS reservoir to the other side see a hydraulic companyfor extending the pipe.
    Fuel pipes have been cut and extended to reach bulkhead.  I used the Disco screw on filter instead of the silly old fashioned take it apart one.  I think standard Defender pipes should fit.
    I re routed the feed pipe from the tank so that a 90 Deg bend was fine
    Heater pipes are a combo of Disco + 6 inch of normal copper plumbing pipe.
    I got a new Defender top hose for radiator and merged the old Torbo D bottom hose with the Disco as water pumps are completley different. I used standard kitchen waste pipe to join the two (reliability issue?)
    I fitted new clutch kit & pivot arm
    I used the old radiator reservoir.
    I swapped the oil filter housing from the Turbo D.
    I used the Disco rad & intercooler.
    I modified the radiator housing to chop the bracket of the bottom rather than modify the chassis
    I cut off the side mounting and welded the pin onto the top of the rad housing.

I did this all out side.  It was easy, but challenging to find solutions to the pipe issues  The main prob I can see is what to do with the air filter.  I have a snorkle that runs along the wingtop and enters by the front left as it was a 2.5NA originally (a long time ago) so I wanted to keep this.

Good luck any questions drop me a PM

Reading this reply and the one from Les
your method seems far more complicated.
and kitchen water pipe? sounds like a sure fire problem with water at 80+ degrees corsing through.

Muddy your picture looks like a very nice installation to.

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
200 into 90
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 22:47:06 »
Why go to all the bother of drilling and tapping? It's wise to replace the crank rear oil seal while the engine is out, so the flywheel will have to come off. In that case it's far less complicated to just swap the flywheel housings while you are doing the job to save all that complicated work. You lose one stud anyway, so fitting the TD housing is obviously better. You need to lower the rad/intercooler assembly by 28mm and you can't achieve that by just altering the frame. Apart from that, what you did is almost identical to what I did. oh wait - spend over £100 on a Steve Parker downpipe conversion instead of making your own.

Les.

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 11:37:30 »
[quoteand kitchen water pipe? sounds like a sure fire problem with water at 80+ degrees corsing through][/quote]
Yeah I know.  That was a last minute bodge as I needed it working and I thought that the pipe takes boiling water from the kettle.  It will be replaced.

I've ordered the two fuel pipes from LR today.
Anyway here (if it worked are some pictures).

Looks like it didn't work.  I'll try again later.
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 14:46:08 »
Here are some pics including my little helper!!!!  :D
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 14:46:56 »
OK here is my little helper:
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"

Offline graham2306

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:00:00 »
I ummed and ahhed over the Steve Parker downpipe for ages when I did mine, and got lots of people on here saying make your own.  In the end because I only do snot welding and was doing all the pipework etc on the drive outside the house I went for the Steve Parker option.  I have wrapped it in exhaust bandage and coated the bulkhead with stick on heat reflective tape and it works great.  Yes it was expensive for what it is, but it was cheap when you look at how long it would take me to make one and the grief I would go through.

I went to a performance car supplier in Walsall and bought up all their stock of silicon hose and stainless joiners in Land Rover size, to make the intercooler pipes and I have an airfilter I dipped from a skip that was originally for a Peugot 307.  I emailed K&N the dimensions of the paper filter and they identified it and gave me the part number for the K&N version.  It is mounted on the aircon mountings at the offside front of the block and has the base of the original Discovery filter on it with the oil breather feeding into it.  It then breathes through a double walled silicon and wire air pipe that I got from a racing car supplier in Luton across the front of the radiator and down to the Turbo.

Tightening the fan belt was a real [!Expletive Deleted!] because I had to take all the pipe work back off to get at the bolts, getting the temperature guage to read right will never happen.  I used a 2.5 petrol sender and the guage from my 2.5 deisel.  They work together fine but the 200Tdi runs hotter anyway so guage reads at three quarter mark.  Fitted a leccy fan from a mitsubishi FTO, which came via a mates NIssan van.  Two speeds and works a treat.  Bought a 50p wilkinsons lunch box to put all the relays in and keep them waterproof.

Graham
It's not a real car unless it's over 30 years old!
Classic cars are the ones who's owners wave to each other. I just bought a pretend car! F plate 90!

N.Oxon GLASS Rep

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 22:56:51 »
thanks for all the input guy's ...much appreciated ...just a quicky tho what's the bhp or torque difference between the 90 2.5 turbo diesel and the disco 2.5 td
robbie

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 00:59:43 »
bump .
robbie

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 16:33:05 »
Land Rover Turbo D produced 88BHP & I think 11lb/ft of torque.
200TDi 107(Defender)/111 (Disco)bhp & 195lb/ft of torque.

That's before you start playing with it.
300TDI was same as Disco, except some later auto's had more power.
Oh and not only did power increase dramatically so did MPG upto around 30MPG in a Defender if you drive carefully.
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 15:28:05 »
I initially used plastic waste pipe to join my pipework, it failed spectacularly in a traffic jam on the M3. Most plumbers merchants should have the same diameter copper inserts, that's what I used, been fine now for 18 months.

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

Offline muckmoses

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 15:57:28 »
TVM, like I tried to point out in my highly shortened instructions.
It is a temporary measure.
Going to Nationals soon wo will be fixed as part of prep for that.
Muck Moses
Editor "The Yorkie"

Offline stefan

Attack Member
200 into 90
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 18:00:26 »
Quote from: "muckmoses"
TVM, like I tried to point out in my highly shortened instructions.
It is a temporary measure.
Going to Nationals soon wo will be fixed as part of prep for that.

No worries, just thought I'd share my experience!

Stef
It's nice to know that of all the places a Land Rover can go, anywhere could be one of them!

Remember, when it comes to Land Rover ownership, there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

1988 Land Rover 90 County SW 200 Tdi
http://www.90county.co.uk
http://www.discoverytd5.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal