AuthorTopic: Pressure in water system  (Read 965 times)

Offline zulublue

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Pressure in water system
« on: April 22, 2007, 15:24:49 »
My RRC has been blowing a cloud of white smoke out on start up this lasts for about 5 minutes depending on temperature, not sure if this is just condensation from the exhaust, I have had a CO2 test done yesterday and all seems well, the other day when I got home there was water coming from the overflow on the boost bottle, I think I may have the thermostat set to high on the kenlowes, so have now lowered it a touch, but one thing I do know is that the upper pipe from the rad seems under a lot of pressure once it has been running for 10 minutes or so, I released the top of the boost bottle and received a rush of air from it and pipe was relieved. Now the boost bottle is from a 82 carb engine and I now have a 1990 efi engine, would there be a difference in the pressure on the spring for these years and if so would having a over pressured spring cause any problems?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 15:31:06 »
The 3.9 has a bigger header tank yes, probably for a reason.

The tool you need aparently is a leak-down tester.  I've found one on Flea-Bay for less than £50 (snap-on is over £200 :shock: ) plus you need a compressor.  Unlike a compression test this will check the rings, head gasket/cracked block and valves.  If you hear air escaping then you can tell where from, if the coolant bubbles up then head gasket/block, if the crankcase breathes then rings, if the inlet whistles then valves if the exhaust whistles then valves.  Going to get one soon myself.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Pressure in water system
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 15:35:18 »
Cheers RRB

So checking for CO2 in the water is of no use?
Do you think the top on the boost bottle is too strong?

P.s. its a 3.5

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 15:39:36 »
I think they all ran about the same pressure and IIRC they all use the same thermostat which would confirm that.  Don't worry if the pipes go hard under pressure, that's usually a good sign.

All cooling system breath out once they are hot, I'm tempted to say it was just a case of you havn't seen it before, plus the Kenlowes coming in too late.

If it's working fine now then leave it.

As for the CO2 I'm not convinced about it and it's an expensive test to repeat.  Rather like a compression test it doen't give you the whole story and my concern for your engine is the white steam.

Is it using water?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 15:42:10 »
P.S. any raise in pressure would also raise the boiling point, that's why the coolant is pressurised.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
Pressure in water system
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 16:05:56 »
See now mine is the opposite, its not using any water now, and that top pipe is limp as anything, took the old girl out for a fierce run yesterday, did some stuff that would really make the temp rise, and nothing happened, stayed at the same temp the whole time (like it used to before the old rad blew) yet this top pipe stayed limp and you could easily squeeze it, but when i did squeeze it you could hear the water bubbling from the air i pushed through in the reservoir.

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Pressure in water system
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 17:04:24 »
I think the temp issue is down to following instructions, as when the viscous fan was on, the guage went to around 1/3 of max, now on the kenlowe instructions it say take it to about 2/3 then kick the fans in to set the guage, so I now must assume the guage is out!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 00:27:18 »
I set mine so that they don't come on when I'm driving along with air going through the rad, as soon as I stop and the temp goes up a little they come on.  Otherwise they will be on when you are driving and you might as well keep the viscous fan.

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Pressure in water system
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:31:12 »
Yes, sounds like I have them set too high then.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 00:23:58 »
If they come on with the needle still on the guage then maybe not, the electric fan switch on the A/C cars is set quite high :?

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
Pressure in water system
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 13:12:11 »
I think I will do what you have done and over time alter the setting to come on just after the point of stopping on a run. up to now this has been 100% out I will see if this affects the pressure in the pipe.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Pressure in water system
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 00:43:29 »
Pressure in the pipe is unltimately set by the cap on the header tank, about 12PSI IIRC will raise the boiling point to over 110Deg.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal