AuthorTopic: Rear Cargo Door Window Cable Snapped!!  (Read 1585 times)

Offline nicholashay

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear Cargo Door Window Cable Snapped!!
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:39:24 »
The rear electric window in my 2002 Freelander 5 door is stuck in the down position the steel cable that contols the window up and down has snapped, anyone know if I have to buy the entire rear window control asembly or can you get the cable (Both inner and outer has broken). Is it hard to fix, or is it a garage job?[/b]

Offline Ben

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 12:57:38 »
A friend of mine with a very early freelander had this problem fairly recently, and ended up buying an entire rear door from eBay because it worked out cheaper.

He simply transferred the entire assembly for the rear window across, and then sold the door on (in bits) for a profit :wink:

I didn't get too involved with the actual work, so I don't know what it actually involved. He did say it was a pain in the rear end to get the cable to line up.

If no one else has actually done this, I'll try to get in touch with him to find out how he did it.

Cheers

Ben
Previous Vehicles:
1999 Discovery TD5 ES 7 seater
1996 Defender 90 300TDi Truck Cab - Stolen June 2005
2000 Defender 90 TD5 SW - Stolen, Recovered, then Sold
2002 Freelander TD4 GS Auto

Current Vehicles:
2004 VW Touran 2.0 TDi Sport 140bhp
Kids. Who'd have em:)
2005 Renault Clio Expression DCi 65 5 door

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 15:26:00 »
I have done the two front windows, and know you cant buy just the cable.
I suppose the rear window is the same. You will have to buy the motor and related assembly.
Look on e bay much cheaper, i think the two front window mech,s cost about £40 each.

wizard :twisted:

Offline ferret2001

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 15:49:34 »
i did my front window not so long back rear is same sort of assembly.

take assembly out buy a bycicle brake cable grind the big crimp on the end down to size, cut the cable at the right length (might take a few goes had to make 2 for mine cos made first one too short Doh!). now the tricky part a pillar drill is most helpful. take a 6 inch nail cut about half inch off drill an approx 2mm hole down the middle ( make sure you got loads of drill bits they have a habit of snapping), cut to correct length, put on end of cable, with cable threaded through outers, crimp on with hammer, apply a little spot of weld to the end to make absolutely sure its tight on there. grind to fit hole in motor pulley. refit assembly and glass. bobs your uncle fannys your aunt.  hope that helps

Offline Eck-T

Attack Member
freelander door motors
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 13:41:53 »
its a really easy fix if you buy new assembly from breakers should be around 40 pounds plus post
Follow if you like but dont blame me

Guardian.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 20:50:43 »
watched my mate change one couple of weeks ago, it is a total pig, takes ages and costs a fortune as you have to nearly buy a whole flippin back door!
plus you have to plug it in to computer to reprogram it afterwards, or something.
just for a back window.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal