AuthorTopic: K series problem can anyone advise?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline loyalduke

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
K series problem can anyone advise?
« on: April 11, 2007, 20:57:39 »
I have completed the head gasket work after it went with the new £80 style triple layer gasket, it had a cambelt at 62,000 miles, and i have just fitted new alternator and power steering belts.  Unfortunately the car has low compression on number 4 cylinder, probably worn piston rings from when the head gasket went .  The car is still in everyday use but smokes slightly and misfires on the 4th cylinder.

Any ideas whether i am right in guessing piston rings and if so how much to repair or is it easier to get a new engine :shock:

John
51 plate P38 Range Rover auto, chipped, big intercooler and JanSpeed exhuast.

J6 AXA is in Palestine doing Charity work!

AXA the 1st went to Disco heaven gone but not forgotten

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 21:34:44 »
Hello,

I assume you used new streach bolts as these must be replaced when you do the head.

Another thing is that the bolts need to be torqued up loads.  My mate did his head and I think you tighten them to a setting and then do one complete rotation, he had to use a scafold pole to extend the wrinch to get them turned so its a big old job.

If its not that then it could also be a valve, worn guide, bent etc?

Unless you have all the kit, space time and knowledge, new rings could be tricky. With a K-Series engine going for about £500 then id go for a new engine. Why not go all the way and got for a modified one with 135 bhp or something?
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline jellyb30

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 22:10:49 »
replacing the rings will be a pain in the ass mate as the engine has "wet" liners, trust me i work at an engine reconditioners!

Offline BrumLee

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 13:27:19 »
Have you done a dry and wet test?

Dry test: Remove spark plug and fit in compression tester. Disable ignition and crank engine about 4 seconds. Take reading.

Wet test: Remove compression tester and squirt about 10ml engine oil into the plug hole. Refit compression tester and crank engine again for about 4 seconds.

If reading is the same in both tests you have an upper cylinder or gasket fault. If reading is noticibly higher in the wet test you have a piston/cylinder fault.

HTH
Lee from Brum

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal