AuthorTopic: Another freewheeling hub question  (Read 755 times)

Offline Mr Garfield

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Another freewheeling hub question
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:26:50 »
The answer is to find my manual but, if you saw my garage, you'd know why I'm going down the 'ask a question' route  :shock:

My new (second hand) freewheeling hubs have arrived.  I understand that I can just fit them straight onto the SJ, but there is a bit that looks a bit scary to me!!  On the end of the axle is a gold coloured bracket held on with two bolts, in the middle of which is a screw that appears to hold a protective cover on the end of the shaft.

If I undo this, what's going to happen?  Am I going to have bits of axle fly off in every direction?  Or is it just protecting things?  I am hoping I can just unbolt it, remove the protective cap and slide the hubs on.  

Each hub also has a circlip with it.  Does this go on the end of the shaft?

Sorry to sound really dumb  :oops: I'm trying to 'do it muself' but don't want to make my poor SJ poorly and have to be trailered off to the garage due to randomly unbolting bits and bobs!!!!   :?  :shock:  :?  :shock:

Geoff
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

Offline Damon

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 16:59:34 »

This is what Vitaras look like with the locking plate removed. :) The arrow shows where a Vitaras circlip is - the SJ circlip is at the outer end of the driveshaft.

Remove your locking plate buy levering the metal cap off the end, remove the circlip, slide off the locking plate.

Then slide on the main part of the freewheeling hub (without the end-cap), refit the circlip, fit the end-cap of the freewheeling hub - job done :)
- Project SE416 -

Feel the FEAR - and do it anyway!!  :)

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 17:21:52 »
Curious

I just swapped the hubs over, no messing with the retainer etc and its all quite happy and working.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline Mr Garfield

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 16:14:38 »
Done them!!  The circlips were quite eventful without proper pliers but all seems to work  :)  Thanks for the guidance  \:D/
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal