AuthorTopic: Vitara SWB - What to look for  (Read 917 times)

Offline cotefarmboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Vitara SWB - What to look for
« on: April 08, 2007, 19:21:20 »
Not had a Vitara since the early 90's so really out of touch. I fancy a cheap 1.6 JLX as a play thing but need to know what they are like to work on for mods (i.e suspension lift, bigger tyres, snorkel fitment etc) Also, what are the common problems on the old ones both mechanical and rust, what are the key areas to watch for?

Advice appreciated and anyone got a cheapie for sale with plenty of MOT?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline BFH

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 21:03:58 »
hi mate,
RUST floorpans, cills, all chassis mounts rear arches, pretty much the same as an sj :shock:  modding don't go above 2.5 sus lift cause you'll break axles and aggressive tyres like grizzly's do the same but otherwise sound little jeep not as capable as an sj but a better ride and value for money mate
you know when you own a Nissan Patrol,  You call the local Nissan Dealer looking for spares and the parts person laughs and says, "A Nissan Patrol...is that some kind of cop car?"

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 22:14:09 »
Cheers, so a 1.5" lift and BFG MT's plus a snorkel = useful if not unstoppable off-roader  :)

Now to find one that is not a rust bucket and has the mods for under a grand  :shock:
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:21:19 »
One more thing, is the LWB any good or does it hamper off-road ability due to reduced ramp breakover angles?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 14:03:03 »
Quote from: "cotefarmboy"
One more thing, is the LWB any good or does it hamper off-road ability due to reduced ramp breakover angles?

break over angle isnt that great anyway due to the hoooooge silencer thats about 32 billion inches below the chassis rails :)

That said, they do take some stopping :)

I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline cotefarmboy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 16:32:06 »
I am currently in the throws of buying a 93 Vitara to use as an off-roader , The car in question has a 4" body lift and is fitted with 31" grizzly claw tyres. I am keen to know what stress this may have on the steering and drivetrain and if problems are likely?
Andy

'96 D1 V8i Auto

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal