AuthorTopic: What can cause a head gasket to blow?  (Read 541 times)

Offline Mr Garfield

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
What can cause a head gasket to blow?
« on: April 08, 2007, 14:41:32 »
The HG blew on my SJ and has been replaced, but any ideas on what can cause the problem - is there something I should be checking?

Best regards

Geoff
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

Offline Boggert

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 15:00:04 »
Firstly I would have it skimmed before its re fitted, check both the head and block for cracks, check for oil in the water, a white scum around the oil filler is a give away.
If want to walk it walk it, if you want to ride it ride it just leave me alone to drive it!

"Save The Cheer leader, save the world"

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 22:32:50 »
extreme cooling ie bomb hole full of water, never helps.

it is a good idea to get head skimed but the price of an 413 engine might be cheaper
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline StuartL

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 19:57:55 »
Head gaskets can go for several reasons but by far the most common is overheating of the engine.  A block like the lightweight aluminium Suzuki engine can overheat quite easily, and the increased temperature causes increased pressure in the combustion chamber, oil channels and water channels.

Additionally there are many things that can cause the same symptoms.

As posted above rapid cooling (or indeed heating) of the block can cause it to warp.  This means that the head and block don't line up any more and the gasket no longer seals the gap.  The oil/water/combustion chamber start to mix and everything starts going wrong.

Similarly overheating, rapid cooling or just bad luck can crack the block or head, causing a leak between the channels and the same problems.

Distinguishing between a head gasket failure, a warped block/head or a cracked block/head is a black art and is not wholly reliable.

Grab hold of a Rover 3.5V8.  Those things are so big, heavy and overengineered they don't warp, crack or owt.

Of course it'd double the weight of the SJ, losing its primary advantage!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal