AuthorTopic: [Edited], wheel jammed solid.. at 75mph!  (Read 3105 times)

Offline CNorman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
[Edited], wheel jammed solid.. at 75mph!
« on: April 07, 2007, 21:44:56 »
Driving back from sodbury sortout at 5:00 at 75mph all of a sudden the front of the landrover sunk a foot, the rear raised a foot and the back end flew out!

The front passenger side wheel jammed absolutly solid! There was smoke pouring from the wheel and the tyre (BFGoodrich MT) with less than 100 miles on it (2 weeks od) has worn flat like a D!!!

What on eartth could cause that kind of lock up??

Any help appreciated,

Feel lucky to be alive!

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 21:48:38 »
Could be something broken in the front axle.... sounds like it was nearly time for an accident...... lucky boy!!
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 21:56:48 »
Bearing collapsed?
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 22:14:29 »
i would suspect either the cv joint has failed or the bearings have seized, sounds like you were lucky
i had a bearing fail that would lock a wheel intermittently luckily it locked soild outside my house one day and not steaming down the road as i had been 10 mins earlier
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:30:38 »
:shock:  mine did that on the a45 just pass billing whilst towing a car trailer  :?  not a nice feeling.....

in my case it was a collasped bearing..... even though the idiot aa man swore blind it was the brake caliper seized the trouble i had getting the disco recovered and the trailer was unreal.......
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline africanpete

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 13:06:58 »
That must have been a horrifying experience! :shock:  Glad youre okay, could of been so much worse!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 13:57:03 »
Often this sort of thing could be a seized bearing but I have to say, that kind of lock up at speed is not what I'd expect from a bearing,. there simply isn't enough meat in it to do that.  Even if the bearing was seized it would spin on the stub axle, getitng hotter and hotter, then when you stop it would weld itself solid.

So I suggest widening the search, brake disk, bearing, CV.

Do you have ABS?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 18:57:11 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Often this sort of thing could be a seized bearing but I have to say, that kind of lock up at speed is not what I'd expect from a bearing,. there simply isn't enough meat in it to do that.  Even if the bearing was seized it would spin on the stub axle, getitng hotter and hotter, then when you stop it would weld itself solid.

So I suggest widening the search, brake disk, bearing, CV.

Do you have ABS?

A friend of mine had the exact same experience in a ninety - the bearing collapsed at speed and the heat generated caused everything to weld solid - He had to replace the half shaft!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 19:03:10 »
What it locked up whilst moving :o
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline DiscoCWK

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 19:14:46 »

Yep! Locked solid - His was a rear wheel rather than the front - He said the back end jumped about a foot off the ground.

I dont if these links will work, but give them a try

http://pub26.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?img=111728&usernum=2230785799

http://pub26.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?img=111729&usernum=2230785799

Offline Bobtail

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 19:24:44 »

Oh yes it did the same on my 300 disco

luckily i had just turned off the A43 into the town so was doing about 30mph

but had the same the front wheel locked solid

when i took it apart the bearing just fell out in lots of little bits

it was welded on so hard had to buy new stub axle :shock:
200 TDI Range Rover Classiic

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 23:25:23 »
Hi there guys, thanks for all the replies.

Was certainly a scary experience, the front sank about a foot, the rear lifted a foot and the back end jumped into the other lane on a busy road.

Have found the probem, the inside bearing!!!

All that remains is the outer shell and loads of pieces.

The inside of the race has welded itself to the half shat flange so i will need a new one.

TBH i have never really checked bearings but have toi say now i know how to do them i will probably check them after a couple of sessions and definatly every three months, i think the time is worth it if it prevents this.

I have pictures of the bearings and will tery and post them.

Chris

Offline africanpete

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 14:03:17 »
Hi Chris

Were there any signs leading up to the incident like a humming noise, vibration or wobbly steering.

I think it would help the rest of us if we knew what signs to look out for and possibly take evasive/preventitive action.

Thanks
Peter

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 14:57:13 »
Yea me had that too, full lock up of my o/s front wheel as i was just starting to brake for a roundabout not a nice thing to happen.
the only thing i got first was a fanit sqweel fron the wheel which i put down to brake pad waering (it made the same nose). ended up reversing abit to free the wheel then it drove ok all the way home about 30 miles and when i took the wheel assembly off all the bearings fell out and the outer casings of the bearings were welded solid to the stub axle.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 19:23:32 »
Thanks for all the replies guys.

It was in fact the wheel bearing!

A friend of mine also had it on his range rover. I have pictures of my failed bearing (it is spectacular!) and will try to post them.

I have had bearings go before and they usually scrape and scroop (especially when cornering).

I find a rumbling is a much earlier indicator than rocking the wheel back and forth.

I will say however i have had nothing like this in my life! there was simply no warning at all. I can sumise from the dry, lubrication free bearings that what had happened was that the rear hub seal had failed and allowed water in/ My landy only drives a mile or two at a time at slow off road speeds.

Driving to newbury (40 miles) obviouslly dryed the bearing and overheated it, the internal race is welded to the stub axle and the external cage has been torn to bits!

I have never replaced bearings before, the first one took me a (simple) morning but the next (i will check them all now) took less than an hour.

Think i will renew them every year and check them after heavy fording and water sessions.

Chris

Offline CNorman

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 19:25:14 »
gtomo2 that is exactly what happened to me but without the warning squeel!

I too reversed mine and it then worked. The AA tilt and slide man said that he has witnessed this before and the cars usually roll over! :shock:

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 20:02:54 »
usualy if a bearing is letting go, the brakes go all spongey on pedal as the hub floats around it nocks the pads back,
the last bearing that went on me welded itself to the stub, i just cut it off, polished the stub up on lathe and its still on my 90 now just fine  :lol:
dan
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline Eeyore

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 08:23:33 »
Wheel bearings do that - we lost one on the racer at the Ralli Bryn Cymru. RRB is right, the inner race welds itself to the stub axle once stationary, but it's the stuff like either the brake disc that causes the locking up or, more rarely, the outer drive shaft binding on the stub axle.

The racer didn't make a lot of sqealing before the bearing finally collapsed, but we were taking the slack up at each service! It didn't take a lot of liage for it to die. To be fair though, Wolfie was commenting on the car not feeling 'right' to drive, especially at 70 mph on gravel!  :lol:

Braver man than I, that one!

Glad you got the problem identified and glad that everyone got away unscathed.

Cheers
 8)
Eeyore
Flower: '95 Defender 110 Hard Top. Donkey Power :D

Offline iponette

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 12:15:56 »
lol well driving to brands hatch this weekend we was also doing 60mph in middle lane witha  caravan on back and passenger side wheel also locked up and thrown us into hard shoulder managed to crawl to brands he took wheel off dident see anythink so crawled it bk to sheffield yesterday took us 8 hrs grrrrrr but it did it never having a disco before we was a bit stuck so sorta nice to see sum1 else has had same problem if ya know what a mean lol i wil get him onit now thanks to reading this topic we can only try :):):) joined RAC just in case at superbikes a might get a refund now we are back get meself some new shoes lol jeanettexxxxxxx
WANTED male that can cook clean and do diy and mend things when i break them must own a 4x4 pls send me pic of your 4x4 ....!

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 16:57:54 »
Some of the problems on this is that not everybody realises that the oil in the diff, on the front axle does not lubricate the wheel bearings, unlike the rear (This includes me too, until I had a disco myself I though they were like the series, was well worth the check, as one mine was low when I did an initial service)

If you dont check and top up that housing, especially if you have a leaking swivel, to the added fun of water ingress though the swivel, all can add up to this happening, or as said about the other items in there, like cv joint and swivel bearings

These often get forgot, myself I play it safe, check regular, especially if you are off roading, and do a yearly drain on all bottom fluid at least once a year, more if I find a low level or contaminated oil

EP90 or one shot may be a bit more than a bearing, but a lot less hassle to work with

Even if this is preaching to the converted, there is always someone who will think (if not say) "I didn't know that!"
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline africanpete

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 18:14:48 »
"I didn't know that!"
 :)

muddymart

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 18:23:15 »
which is the best grease for rear/front bearings?

Offline iponette

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 22:46:07 »
ky muddy lol try it
WANTED male that can cook clean and do diy and mend things when i break them must own a 4x4 pls send me pic of your 4x4 ....!

Offline Tyke

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 01:57:41 »
Just for the record guys.

I had front wheel bearing go on me the other week and symptoms were the same. Had a sudden 'dive' on the front end, a few scrapes and knocking sounds, then a very touchy drive home.

Next day it was off with the hub and lo and behold . . . . bits of bearing all over the place and an inner race well stuck to the stub shaft. Application of a bit of oxy-acet and a few strategicaly placed clouts with a hammer and chisel and the offending bit was off and new bearing fitted.

Sorted again . . . . till the next time . . . .  :lol:
----------------------------------

KEEPING IT REAL - KEEPING IT BRITISH

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 15:02:53 »
Well this thread may have saved my life.

After reading this and seeing that a few people said before it happened to them there was a squeeking noice. I was laning a couple of weeks ago and my mate behind me said he could easily hear a squeek from my car. I couldnt hear it though  :shock: .

I put 2 and 2 together and got my back side into gear and checked my bearings for play. Well blow and behold if the front off side wheel has serious travel in it and the near side has slight play only in 1 direction though (hands 12 and 6 o clock)

I have attempted to do the bearing my self to re grease if nout else and got stuck :( sounds about right for me! I have my nice mechanic chap coming over later to do it for me and show me how. Hes nice like that :)

So onto my new thread Im about to make. Will the rangie bearings I got given a few years back fit my disco? (see new thread)

So as I am about to my cravan again in a weeks time I'm very glad this thread came up (not glad about why it was posted first of all. glad the original author got away with his hairy moment ok.)
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 20:47:22 »
Quote from: "hobbit"
Some of the problems on this is that not everybody realises that the oil in the diff, on the front axle does not lubricate the wheel bearings, unlike the rear (This includes me too, until I had a disco myself I though they were like the series, was well worth the check, as one mine was low when I did an initial service)

If you dont check and top up that housing, especially if you have a leaking swivel, to the added fun of water ingress though the swivel, all can add up to this happening, or as said about the other items in there, like cv joint and swivel bearings

These often get forgot, myself I play it safe, check regular, especially if you are off roading, and do a yearly drain on all bottom fluid at least once a year, more if I find a low level or contaminated oil

EP90 or one shot may be a bit more than a bearing, but a lot less hassle to work with

Even if this is preaching to the converted, there is always someone who will think (if not say) "I didn't know that!"

Err, the diff oil or swivel oil is not intended to lubricate the wheel bearings Kev :?   it does sometimes :roll: , but it's not meant to :wink:

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 20:51:42 »
Funny thought it did, but come to think abour it yes I did grease them, mind you that was two years ago, brain fading fast :?
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal