AuthorTopic: Rear shocks  (Read 5053 times)

gords

Rear shocks
« on: November 24, 2004, 13:12:11 »
My Discovery went to the local garage to have new brake pads fitted (thanks Bramcote :wink: ) - 'cos I couldn't undo the fecking wheel nuts :x  (new longer, stronger wheel brace thingy on order from DiffLock :) ).

Anyway, they did a road test and said that it felt a bit "soft" and suggested that the shocks might need replacing soon. No, they're not trying it on as I know the garage owner!

I know that the shrouds on the rear shocks are broken, but other than that I don't know whether they are good or bad - this is the only Discovery I've driven for any amount of time.

So, if I do replace them is there any reason not to go for standard replacements? If not, what are the reasons for putting "uprated" ones on?

Would be a good time to stick on some 1" spacers, as advertised here  :wink:

Offline muddyweb

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rear shocks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 13:23:20 »
Standard dampers will be fine if you are happy with the "factory" ride of the Disco, which in my opinion is quite reasonable.

You can give them a manual test by taking them off and working them in an out by hand.  You should feel smooth resistance in both directions.

If you fit spacers, you should probably look at an aftermarket damper, since they will often have a longer stroke than the original fitment, and by lifting the thing by 1" you will effectively be using 1" of the downward stroke of the damper.  (unless you start to modify the damper upper mount)

Mill Services do a complete set of 4 spacers for 50 quid delivered, so well worth a look.  www.mill-services.co.uk

The Mansfield Motors website lists the rear damper as STC3704 at £17.50 or £20.50 depending on the brand you choose.

Hope this helps.
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal