AuthorTopic: Dog rough idle version II  (Read 631 times)

Offline Mr Garfield

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Dog rough idle version II
« on: April 05, 2007, 18:58:26 »
It seems I have the same problem.  The car idles at 2000+ revs, drops to 400, stalls braking downhill!!  Generally runs like sh*te.  Once being driven under load its fine!  I wouldn't mind but it has just returned from a main dealership and is alegedly fixed!!!  Wasn't this bad when it went in.

Tired of the thing now, does anyone know a good, honest person that can fit an appropriate new carb for me?  I know its probably easy but, as an academic, I'm officially anally retentive in relation to engines!!!  I live in East Sussex.

Would consider a complete engine swap if not too costly.

HELP!!!!!
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

Offline Whatmot

Attack Member
  • Come Alive, Come and Drive!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 19:45:57 »
engine swap!! its not the engine, its the carb most probably. do like gen x said: check the "plugs,leads,cap and rotor arm". as for replacing it, how much do you want to spend? rhino ray will do su conversions, i believe he lives in sussex. a diy job doesnt take that long nor does it require a huge amount of mechanical knowledge, if you get stuck there loads of people on here or on the difflock forums who will help
Tom aka Whatmot

Seen the Pyrenees and briefly saw Norway; Loved it so much, we are going again next year!

'98 Ford Maverick
Cooper S/T's, Midland CB, Electric Cooling Fans, Disconnecting Anti- Roll Bars and a SS Exhaust

Offline Mr Garfield

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:10:48 »
It hgas just had a full service, with new leads, plugs etc, so I presume it isn't them.  

I used it for a time last night and it went from running to fast, to eventually stalling every time you tried to let the engine idle.  It also stalled when going down hill.

With my limited knowledge it sounds a carb issue so I'll call Rhino Ray to get some figures to get it changed.
If it ain't broke, it will be soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal