AuthorTopic: 3.5 EFI on LPG won't start  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Spacemud

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Rhoose
  • Referrals: 0
3.5 EFI on LPG won't start
« on: April 04, 2007, 16:12:49 »
Yesterday, after a journey of about 35 miles I stopped to look in a garage and when I started back up I needed three attempts on the key. LPG clicked in after a couple of seconds then all was ok, until............

Stopped again at another garage, when I got back in and tried to start it, the engine turned fine but it wouldn't start on either petrol or LPG.

Before I decided to tow it back home (with the 2a  :wink: ) I checked various wires, and took out a plug. Plug indicates that there is no fuel going in.

Any ideas on the best way, and right order to investigate the problem? Obvious thing to check first is the fuel pump but i haven't found it yet!
Spacemud misses his Land Rovers :o(

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 17:09:07 »
pump is in the tank, take the petrol cap off and listen as someone turns it over for you.  I seem to remember the airflow meter switches the pump.
How does you gas switch over? will it start on gas?
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 19:24:27 »
My LPG will not start until the engine is runnig, it's a safety thing.  In emergencies I run a jump lead from the battery positive to the gas valve under the bonnet to allow a short burst of gas through, then I can start it.

I had the wires to the fuel pump just fall off once, corrosion :roll:

Check the wiring under the back end before starting to pull the floor up.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 20:09:29 »
mine will start on gas if i turn the ignition on, switch from gas to petrol and back to gas it will purge the ststem and start, usually on the 2nd attempt. If I do this the gas led flashes.
All systems are different, this is a stargas drawthrough systen using relays to shut injectors off. If the relay fails it leaves the petrol switched on.
Early 3.5efi has a fuel relay under drivers seat near ecu,
If the pump is not running try checking for voltage in the wiring before removing pump, if pump needs to come out check boot floor for access panel, if not, as with some early 3.5, the tank has to come off  :cry:  

Steve
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Garth

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 22:47:20 »
Cant work out if this is the same problem I have but I havent found solution yet either.

On cold morning cuts out on gas approx after 1/4 mile and the only way I can get started is to turn over on petrol with foot to boards for about 2 mins then splutters into life.
"WINNE"
1991 VOUGE SE A WITH LPG
LOOKS GOOD (BUT LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING)
"TIGGER"
1995 SUZUKI VITARA
1" LIFT
225/75X15 AT'S

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 23:00:48 »
whereabouts in shrops are you?
James

...lovin dirty days out...

1983 OneTen V8 Station Wagon 3.5 (LPG)
1972 Range Rover V8
1992 Range Rover 4.6 (LPG)
1978 Range Rover Carmichael Commando 6x4
1972 Range Rover - Major project, FOR SALE
1976 Range Rover - Less of a project, FOR SALE
Previously: Range Rovers 1988, 1990 and others...
2005 Volvo V70 T5 SE (LPG) - daily driver

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 07:54:35 »
Couldn't get it started with the purging technique, although just once there was a tiny sign of life.

To be honest I got back late, it was cold and dark, I was tired and the sunny  8-[  bank holiday is on the way. Thought I would wait until everything was easier.

Hi James, i'm in Telford, straight down the M54................."Roads?! we don't have roads, we only use roundabouts"  :lol:

Offline Rossko

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 11:14:54 »
Quote from: "Garth"
On cold morning cuts out on gas approx after 1/4 mile and the only way I can get started is to turn over on petrol with foot to boards for about 2 mins then splutters into life.

I'd bet that is down to poor waterflow for the gas vaporiser, classic symptom; when it happens jump out quick to see the frost on the vaporiser and the stink of way too much gas flooding the engine.

Check the obvious - radiator water level, kinked hoses. If no joy think about how to shift any airlock in the plumbing. Check it was installed correctly - the vaporiser should usually be connected across the heater hoses for a full flow.

Sorry, doesn't help poor Spacemuds non-starter. Can only go with the others - check pump runs etc.  Also the little ignition amp module can fail in the way described sometimes, if you've got an EFi distributor; mine did.

cheers, Ross K
GLASS

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 13:11:40 »
Added to that Garth, check how the petrol system is cut off, if it's by stopping the fuel pump it may take a while to get it started, otherwise it could be the LPG equivelent of flooded as suggested above,  Either way annoying :?
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 00:26:06 »
Ok then...........success!!! :D

Worked through everything this afternoon/evening as advised.

Power at the connectors all the way up to the pump, but no fuel coming out and no sound from the tank that would suggest that there was any attempt at pumping going on. So removed the tank to get at the fuel pump and connected it up to prove that it didn't work..........of course when tried it did work! Somehow it was now working fine? :?
Decided to put everything back and try again. Once the fuel was back through the pipes she started no problem.

Solving one problem has created one slight other problem. Seem to have split one of the fuel pipes above the tank so tomorrow looks like it'll have to come at least part way off again. Nevermind, I'm happy again thanks to you lot! :wink:

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 23:42:20 »
Job done now! \:D/

We dropped the tank down again today to find the leak. It was the metal pipe that runs along the front of the tank. It was really rusted so not really that surprised it sprung a leak. Have replaced with £3 worth of flexible hose today and we now have a working vehicle again.

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 23:48:31 »
i work at gkn at hadley so if you ever want me to pop round after work....
James

1972 Range Rover V8

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 00:09:48 »
Hi James,

That's good to know, I'm in Donnington Wood so close by. Got an eye on that early front grille of yours so when I next get paid I may get you to pop in for a coffee/tea/beer on the way home from work.

Would I ever see you one of your Landy's around Telford?

Offline jjsaul

Attack Member
    • Leeds, West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 00:18:22 »
Quote from: "Spacemud"
Hi James,

That's good to know, I'm in Donnington Wood so close by. Got an eye on that early front grille of yours so when I next get paid I may get you to pop in for a coffee/tea/beer on the way home from work.

Would I ever see you one of your Landy's around Telford?

Yep, white rangie, 1986 but on a private plate.
Bling ish alloys with BFGs, rusty bottom tailgate, front brooklands bumper with paint missing....!
James

1972 Range Rover V8

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 00:39:19 »
I know where that doublecab lives!

We passed it Tuesday on the way back from the train station (not that I ever notice proper offroaders  :) ). It's on the way out of Wolvo just past the Wergs, isn't it?

Is that yours too?

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 22:33:17 »
It's playing up again!!! ](*,)

Have dropped the tank three times now as the pump stopped working again (and again). At the moment it is working but when on petrol rather than LPG it idles erratically (is it called hunting  :? ). switch to LPG and it'll idle fine.

Any suggestions as to the reason? Should I have bled the fuel system? Just read through some old posts and realised it may need to be bled. I did have the filter off and changed a couple of pipes so it has been messed about with quite a bit?

Thanks!

Offline tjsj

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 18:06:05 »
I had a similar problem the other day on mine though Im on carbs and dont have lpg!
I was going up a steep..ish concrete drive and the car decided to loose all power at the top and died, i rolled back down to the bottom as i knew i was low on fuel and had suspected it had ran out but all it would do is splutter then after 30 seconds or so it wouldnt even try to fire.
I then got the tools out and made sure it was sparking and if i put petrol directly into the carbs it would splutter and try to start so diagnosed it as a fuel pump issue, went to find the fuel pump (just next to the passenger trailling arm mount, gave it a tap with a spanner and it started up again, its been running fine since then until today where it stopped 3 times within 1 mile! A quick hit of the pump and off it goes again! Do i need a new fuel pump?
Tom

G-reg Disco 200tdi
3 inch pro-comp suspension lift
nice set of new machos

WANTED: Cheap snorkel, doesn't really matter what it looks like, just as long as I can do some wading!!!

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 22:09:23 »
Sounds similar to mine, but I can't hit mine without taking it out of the tank  :evil:

Think, I'll get another...........secondhand, they are about £75 for a new one!!

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 22:19:29 »
Took delivery of a secondhand petrol pump today and fitted it this evening (there's nothing I don't know now about removing and fitting a fuel tank, iv'e done it that may times with this one!!!).

Looks like the old pump was dodgy as running on petrol again. Not convinced that the hunting has stopped but that problem can wait as i'm fine on LPG.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 22:39:26 »
Is your LPG a draw-through system then?

When ours was hunting/running bad on petrol it was the ECU gone first time around and the ignition advance processor every time after that, when it gets wet it advances on petrol too :roll: .

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 23:09:49 »
Just an idea for future reference, i will get v8seriesone to post the finer points of what he did, but when we were converting my 3.5efi (i say we, but i was only useful and providing jubilee clips and staying out of the way!) to a 3.5 carb (converted the engine, not a full engine swap) i had a problem of a faulty fuel pump in the tank.

Anyhow, his solution, which was brilliant, was to use an earlier fuel pump, one that attaches to the chassis, and just remove the gubbins from the internal fuel pump so that it can still suck through petrol but from the other pump not the internal one, and then use that, it was faultless and brilliant!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Spacemud

Attack Member
    • Rhoose
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 23:13:55 »
Hi, not too sure. It's certainly not a modern one. Has a cylindrical spaceship shaped thing and what looks like a couple of adjustable flow valves  :? It will start straight on lpg with a bit of flicking of the switch back and forth.  

Where would the ignition advance processor be then, and how would I check it?

Many thanks for your help, by the way  =D>

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 23:20:07 »
Advance processor was psrt of the LPG conversion, not many have it (I fitted my own) but you want to check the advance mech for sticking in the dizzy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal