AuthorTopic: Rapeseed oil  (Read 842 times)

Offline Tango

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Rapeseed oil
« on: March 26, 2007, 23:22:00 »
Ok so im playing a bit and stared putting it in my tank im not running neat. What I have noticed is my car is running cooler while using it. Anyway can I run on 100% rapeseed? Will it damage my 2.5 TD lump which I must say has had a rebuild and I dont want to damage it as its a lovely runner. All your input will be appreciated ;) Thanks.

Offline philbert

Attack Member
Rapeseed oil
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:32:57 »
The engine will love it.the problem will be with your fuel pump! rotary pumps dont like veg oil as it is too thick to lubricate the pump shaft.
you should have no probs if you use a diesel vegoil mix.

hope that helps.

Offline lampyrover31

Attack Member
Rape seed oil
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 13:48:04 »
I found this site and had a look and got some useful answers to some questions.Theres a guy on there who uses it in Landrovers but cant remeber his id.Hope it helps.
Lampyrover

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php
K Reg disco! 5 door and a big smile on my face!

Offline Dave88

Attack Member
Rapeseed oil
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:40:40 »
Veg oil is too thick really but the ideal is to mix about 5% methanol with it, leave it overnight and then pour in your tank (white spirit will do). I'd also recommend putting in something like the Millers diesel protect stuff for the benefit of the injector pump.
If your engine's getting tired, be aware that if veg oil finds its way into your sump it does not lubricate the bearings which is bad news.
Having said that when 'a friend' ran his 2.25 on a 50/50 oil/derv mix it went really well, no drop in performance or economy, just a chip shop smell!!
All this was entirely off-road as obviously I like to pay as much tax as I can...........
If you get caught on road though the authorities see this crime as worse than treason.  You could always pay the duty - it may still work out cheaper?
burble, burble

muddymart

Rapeseed oil
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 12:05:16 »
do a twin tank system ,  fit a water xover matrix so it warms the oil up just before the pump, just tap into the cooling pipes and when the engines warm change to veg oil,

as the above post, register with hm customs and keep all :P  receipts , then if you do get stopped, you'd have a letter to prove registration, and it works out about 20-30p cheaper a litre

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal