AuthorTopic: Radio  (Read 1002 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Radio
« on: March 22, 2007, 22:59:51 »
So ive got my new 90 but it hasnt got any wiring for a radio. How hard is it to put on in, and where can i get the wiring from or is it already tehre? What do i need to buy if anyting?
Cheers
Sam

Offline spinkster

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 23:13:59 »
if you remove the centre plastic trim covering where the ciggy lighter/clock/rear washwipe switch is you'll find a crows nest of cabling under there with some pushfit multi plugs...........find out which is earth/permanent live/ignition live and just put male push fir plugs on the ends of your radio wires and join accordingly and bobs your mothers brother
Its only kinky the first time

spinks

1988 110csw 200tdi retro fitted

Offline Litch

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 18:14:44 »
The genuine (grey) radio-mount is available brand-new for just a few £ (don't pay more than £5 for a S/H one) and makes fitting a breeze, as for wiring you will be needing a perm +VE, switched +VE,-VE and of course speaker & aerial cables. All of these will fit neatly behind the rear of the grey plastic dash however I do suggest using a fly-lead for the aerial lead as that way you don't have to get to the rear of the dash if you have to replace the aerial (they quite often get snapped), just plug into the additional connecter under the bonnet.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Dangermouse

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 22:10:04 »
Or if you want somthing a little flasher than the grey mount try this

www.mudstuff.co.uk/Dashconsole.html
Cheer's.......DM
If it's shiney something must have fell off

Landrover 90 with a 2.5 dead engine

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 22:35:20 »
So how can i find these wires are they colour coded or used for the cigarette lighter? or used for anything? and for the speaker cables what do i need? I have an aeirel on the outside of my landy but don't know where the connecttor is for it, any ideas?
Cheers

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 22:23:02 »
http://www.brookwell.co.uk/acatalog/Defender_Radio_fitting_kit_.html
Would this make life so much easier? Can someone reply before tonight as im going to buy one soon!
Cheers all

Offline jamesledingham

Attack Member
Radio
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:29:41 »
It's basicaly a matter of playing round with a multimeter (or just a voltage testing screwdriver)

Find one that you know is earthed and then use that to find all the +ve wires - I just put the same colour insulating tape on the end of all the +ves.

Once you've worked out +ves and -ves (without ignition on) you can then find your ignition +ve. It will probably be the few wires left over once you've found the permanent +ve and -ve.

I got a mount from Halfords for about £4.

You also need to make sure you buy a seperate wiring harness to plug into the one coming out of the back of the radio - if you strip wires on the one at the back of the radio then it invalidates your warranty.

Where in Warwickshire are you?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal