AuthorTopic: Goodyear G90s  (Read 2316 times)

Offline 90sam

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Goodyear G90s
« on: March 21, 2007, 17:51:53 »
Where is the cheapest place that you can buy goodyear g90s on rims?
Or can you buy insa turbo special tracks on rims already and where from? As i've looked but you have to buy them seperate...
PLease help
Sam

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 18:06:36 »
Ran G90s for 18 months, nice tyres off road but ropey on road in the wet, like a lot of off road biased tyres manners on wet tarmac can leave a lot to be desired... Wolves at work are the same.. sure they are what you want??

Cheers Steve

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 18:09:05 »
Yer cause im only 16, so only going to use my landy off road so just want some cheap off road tyres that are good in the mud, and must be cheap!Not that bothered about road manners just yet  :lol: Any other tyres that would match my criteria??
Cheers

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 19:24:27 »
Try Colways, ran em on my lightweight for a couple of years, remoulds so very cheap and wear rates were superb

Cheers Steve

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 19:26:49 »
I can verily concur with the  electricbluebadger up there^^^^^^ that G90's are rubbish on tarmac, which isn't a consideration for you.....  But they are also rubbish OFF tarmac when compared to tyres costing far less. (Let me qualify that - they fill with mud very quickly and don't shed very well, the side walls are as weak as rice paper and easily cut, as is the tread area itself - they often have rust bleeding out of insignificant looking tiny cuts that have in fact gone all the way to the plies at the core of the tyre.  The slightest bit of damp/water on them and they spin like [!Expletive Deleted!] - especially when they've worn enough to shed the small grooves on the chevrons.  They are marked up as 'ST' - so they are in fact a Snow/Tarmac tyre for 'light trucks' and not really designed for off-road use at all.)

If you could get hold of some Michellen XZL's they are fab off road but just as good on it as well.  Failing that, I'd go for some colways of any description - cheap and cheerful but bloody good at what they do - perform nearly as well as tyres costing twice the price........

Bri
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Rich_P

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 19:36:46 »
Question.  If the G90 is so bad, then why does the MOD use them?

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 19:44:10 »
God only knows!

they came on the original trials vehicles and then once accepted they just get bought as is. How no-one at ATDU (the trials unit) picked up on how crap they are is beyond me, so once the truck was passed as fit they were just built to the standard presented at trails - with, unfortunately, G90's fitted. Something like 85-90% of the G90's made go to the MoD which is mainly because we go through so many due to crappy side-walls and low tread life-span.

The best tyre we've ever used is the ZXL and its still in service on SNATCH and unbelievably, the new lightweight trailer - what a waste of excellent tyres that is!

If I was allowed to swap my G90's on my company car to XZL's I would without hesitation...  But I cant as it would be an illegal modification and if I was to wrap it around a tree - no insurance, lots of un-happy higher-ups....

Ho Hum.....
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 20:35:38 »
The new 'wolves' for want of a better decription being used by signals etc are shod with BFG's as most of their work is road based with a small amount of off road at whatever location they end up at.

Cheers Steve

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 20:38:41 »
And as for why do the MOD use em....

we buy combat 95 clothing..... quality laughable
SA80 more redesigns and mods than most people have had hot dinners

and many many more that people on the receiving end are fully aware of...the MOD buying the best??? thatll never happen until the guys getting the free lunches from suppliers are far more accountable...it is getting better though... :)

Cheers Steve

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 22:12:21 »
Very much like Neil Armstrong's words on the Saturn IV rocket - its fine until you remember that all of the bits are made by and put together by the lowest bidder!

Steve, you know if they've got authority to do that with the BFG's from the IPT bods as it might be possible to extend that to other units if so.....  (from a purely selfish point of view you understand - I've been after a set off a pinz-gauer for ages to sneak onto my truck for exercise, but if I can get it done officially I'm laughing ..... :lol:  :shock:

AbyssDJ

Re: Goodyear G90s
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 22:18:25 »
Quote from: "onzasam"
Where is the cheapest place that you can buy goodyear g90s on rims?
Or can you buy insa turbo special tracks on rims already and where from? As i've looked but you have to buy them seperate...
PLease help
Sam

just buy some insa turbo's, buy some rims, and then pay a fiver per tyre at your local 4x4 place to have them fitted and balanced... simple

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 11:35:52 »
Afraid they are fitted to wolves that are being used for a very specific purpose in UK only, so chances of approval anywhere else would be a no-no....

Cheers Steve

Offline Nobber

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 12:45:58 »
i got colway at remoulds , they ok but the sidewalls , i can pull chunks out of them. id still buy more though , one has about 5 nails stuck in it and its still inflated.
if it isent broke , whack it with a hammer ,

Offline Nobber

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 12:54:52 »
g90's look a bit , well , gay to be honest. they remind me of toy car tyres for some reason.
im sure they are good tyres mind.
if it isent broke , whack it with a hammer ,

Offline jimthelandyman

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 18:53:24 »
colways are good in the mud and fine on the road

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 19:27:31 »
For less money you can do heaps better, fit a set of 235/85's to your standard rims or even buy some cheap 8 spokes and the 235's will be taller than the G90's.
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline spinkster

Attack Member
Goodyear G90s
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 22:09:44 »
Greenway machos from sowden tyres...........50 odd quid a corner and proper aggresive thread!!
Its only kinky the first time

spinks

1988 110csw 200tdi retro fitted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal