AuthorTopic: headlights  (Read 883 times)

Offline Alex.Y

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
headlights
« on: March 19, 2007, 21:06:08 »
what would be the best option to spruce up landy headlights, what is the best alternative bulb to the factory fitted ones that just dont seem to cut the mustard.
something alot brighter and crisper?

Offline Tinks

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 21:28:38 »
PIAA,  i'm not 100% sure where you can get them from, i know for sure you can get them from Demon Tweeks!

They draw the same but produce alot more therefore not putting any more drain on your electrical system!! :D  And there alot brighter!! :D

Only bad thing is they tend to be exspensive, specially from somewhere like Demon Tweeks!

Maria :wink:
THE BRIGHTER THE BETTER!

Offline dreadnought110

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 21:49:25 »
To be honest i did change the headlights to Hella and rewired the headlights straight to the battery for positive's and earth's through relays and this improved the halogen bulbs by about 50% the problem is think of the route that your headlight feed takes through switches fuses etc.. then throw land rover bad earth's etc in to it and your doomed...to dim lights that is
Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself. !!!

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
headlights
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 17:10:45 »
Well first of all is the lenses. they really are horrible. and so a Wipac crystal headlight kit will really help with the pattern.
Next up the bulbs. Yes you can go for PIAA which are expensive but do a good thing or you can get the white bulbs like the Philips vision plus. Or i have Some Xenon ones which do have a better output and vision than normal halogens.
Finaly is to relay the headlights so there is a short distance of cable, and less switches. And then making sure the earths are good.

you should be rewarded with nice bright lights.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline mmgemini

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:53:21 »
A lot depends on what you want from headlights.
I use Hella. Too expensive for most peuple now they are £30 a unit trade. Fitted with 55/100 watt lumins I find them super.

What I do lot find any good is the feeble Land Rover wiring.

Have a look at...

http://forum.landrovernet.com/showthread.php?t=81747

That might help you.

I tried Xenon lamps The bit you would call a bulb. What a waste of money no light at all compared with a 55 halogen. They also cost me a headlight unit when one expolded.
mike
nil illegitimate carborundum.

I can cause trouble in am empty house !!!

Offline Litch

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 18:20:18 »
Make sure the wiring is up to the job (i.e no nasty splices, poor connectors etc) and by-pass the switches using relays. Fit Ring, Wipac or Hella units (I have had all over the years and they are all pretty much as good as one another) and use 30% or 50% brighter 55/60W bulbs (£22 for a pair of lamp-units and about another £15 for the bulbs).
There you go, all sorted with no fancy lenses to make you cry if you crack one or it starts to rust out after a few years (usually caused by deep wading) and no illegal bulbs which blind other road-users and can get the attention of the BIB.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 21:47:58 »
My lights were all well past their best so I went for an all round upgrade...headlights were replaced with the Wipac Free form Crystal headlamps, the one with a clear lens and a formed rear reflector with xenon bulbs and they are a million times better (maybe slight exageration) but an unbeleivable difference.....

More pics n details on my site...

Cheers Steve

Offline buzzard

Attack Member
headlights
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 19:59:53 »
Quote from: "electricbluebadger"
My lights were all well past their best so I went for an all round upgrade...headlights were replaced with the Wipac Free form Crystal headlamps, the one with a clear lens and a formed rear reflector with xenon bulbs and they are a million times better (maybe slight exageration) but an unbeleivable difference.....

Cheers Steve

same as what I've done and made a hell of a difference

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal