AuthorTopic: gearbox oil  (Read 6839 times)

Offline Arightpest

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
gearbox oil
« on: November 16, 2004, 18:51:52 »
Hello all

Can somebody please tell me what oil to use in the gearbox on a 93 Tdi 200? In the Haynes manual for some strange reason it tell me to put automatic gearbox oil in the manual gearbox. Is this right? :?:

All the best

Arightpest

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
gearbox oil
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 18:53:32 »
Strange but true.
Paul Wright

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 18:58:04 »
I thought that it would be to thin It’s like knats wee?

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 18:59:49 »
It is correct.  The Gearbox takes ATF, the transfer box takes EP80/90
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.muddyweb.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Hinckley, Leicestershire
gearbox oil
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 19:00:07 »
It is thin I agree, You would struggle to get the gears if you go any thicker. :wink:
Paul Wright

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 19:02:35 »
trust my luck i have just been given a nice big barrel of ep90 looks like i will have to dip my hand in my pocket again :?:

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 19:49:29 »
dont worry youll soon use it, after where you find out that water can get in and need to check/change them more often  :wink:
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline karloss

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 00:28:05 »
Quote from: "Paul"
It is thin I agree, You would struggle to get the gears if you go any thicker. :wink:

Is that actually the case? I've thought about using something thicker in the past in a noisy box. Never put the theory to test.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline datalas

• Administrator
    Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 08:36:32 »
Quote from: "karloss"
Quote from: "Paul"

Is that actually the case? I've thought about using something thicker in the past in a noisy box. Never put the theory to test.

I wouldn't advise it, putting thicker oil in might make it less noisy, but it would be akin to sticking treacle into the engine.  The oil pathways both for lubrication and cooling are quite narrow..  and I don't think any of us want to see what happens if you block on up.

At the end of the day, LR didn't say "fill it with ATF" soley to make the begger noisier,  if it were as simple as using a heavier weight oil we'd all be driving round with bitchumen in them :-/
--

Offline Arightpest

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 22:29:26 »
what tree opps?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
gearbox oil
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 14:29:06 »
It is like nats wee, and it breaks down with use so it should be changed.  The LT77 is unusual in that it has an oil pump, this is often more common in auto boxes, hence auto box oil is hydraulic oil, not EP or extreme pressure oil.  You cannot add oil aditives succesfully becuse the oilways and clearences are much smaller, to take advantage of the thinner oil.  In theory it should reduce transmission losses. (yeah right!)

Had a shock when I found out the Borg-Warner transfer box should be on ATF also, at least that's what the owners manual says!  Ours has EP80/90 in it but I think it's goosed anyway.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline karloss

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 10:31:44 »
Quote from: "datalas"

At the end of the day, LR didn't say "fill it with ATF" soley to make the begger noisier,  if it were as simple as using a heavier weight oil we'd all be driving round with bitchumen in them :-/

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Just a thought. Just a thought.

Heard tale once of a dealer putting saw dust in an "old motor" gearbox to quieten it down before selling it. Don't know if it's true, and no, I don't know how he got it in there.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline Mace

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 10:22:33 »
Well, I've just changed the gearbox oil on my Discovery. The gearbox was notchy and sticky so I drained the old oil out. It was black and horrible (but it was ATF) and I reckon the oil had not been changed since the box was swapped 40k miles ago.

Anyway, I dug deep in my wallet and bought difflocks Midas MT75D fully synthetic ATF oil. All I can say is WOW ! Ok changing the oil from crap to new would have made a difference anyway but this stuff is brilliant. I've changed gearbox oils before in similar conditions but never has it made such a difference. No more notches, smooth gear change, much quieter and the whole transmission feels free, not tight.

I'm going to try the transfer box and axles next, by swapping the ep90 for their fully synthetic Trogan oil. I'll let you all know what it feels like but I think I know the answer already.
Mace

"What a waste! What a waste! But the world don't mind"

Discovery 300Tdi 3dr

Offline muddyweb

Attack Member
gearbox oil
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 10:31:58 »
Don't know what the prices are like, but if you can do it, I would recommend buying in bulk.

I use a fully synthetic oil for my engine, I get it in 20L drums from my local Total Oils depot.   Costs the same for 20 Litres as Halford charge for 5..  Similar thing with ATF and EP.  (Although I just use normal mineral versions of them)
Tim Burt
Muddyweb
www.muddyweb.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal